• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime/Manga Songs on New Year's Kōhaku Uta Gassen

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musashi1600

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote
I wish I'd known about this earlier; KIKU started their run of the Red and White Song Festival at 5:00 local time. Razz
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:57 am Reply with quote
I really wanted to see this but I wasn't in a place with the same selection of asian channels that I have.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:31 am Reply with quote
Still working my way through the show on VHS. Just one song past the Miyazaki/Hisaishi medley.

NHK World Premium also had a Miyazaki interview on Tuesday afternoon, right after the Chatmonchy interiew and concert video.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:07 am Reply with quote
the Ponyo theme song is infectious. i challenge you to get it out your head after listening to it.
InsaneLampshade

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Last year's inclusion of AKB48, Leah Dizon, and Shoko "Shokotan" Nakagawa helped boost ratings for Kōhaku Uta Gassen.

...i'd hardly say it "helped boost ratings" considering the 2nd half ratings that year were the 2nd worst the show ever achieved.

I believe that is also evident in the complete lack of idol girls chosen in this years lineup.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:15 am Reply with quote
Anime cry I wanted to watch this today and I forgot it was on my local international channel until it was too late. Oh well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:53 am Reply with quote
I was more surprised that Enya was on the show. But Jero....ugh, he was off for some reason. And anyone know why Kumi Koda sounded really...raunchy?
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:44 am Reply with quote
Um kumi is always raunchy. Always.
I'm surprised some of the regulars like morning musume and boa didn't get invited but I'm glad Ikimono Gakari did go and they didn't sing HANABI so I guess that's why ANN didn't report it.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:56 am Reply with quote
InsaneLampshade wrote:
Quote:
Last year's inclusion of AKB48, Leah Dizon, and Shoko "Shokotan" Nakagawa helped boost ratings for Kōhaku Uta Gassen.

...i'd hardly say it "helped boost ratings" considering the 2nd half ratings that year were the 2nd worst the show ever achieved.

Well, given that those three acts sang in the 1st half, and the 1st half didn't suffer as badly as the 2nd half.... But yeah, they weren't back this year.
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
The Ponyo performance had a pretty big production leading up to it with songs from Totoro and Laputa. They got the highest rankings of the first half of the show with 41.1% (actually considerably higher than the other acts before the break).

Only one half of Fujimaki Fujioka was there, BTW. The other guy has been on hiatus for a while now.

Of course, with all the trump cards the White Team had this year, the Red Team didn't stand a chance.
Seca

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Um kumi is always raunchy. Always.
I'm surprised some of the regulars like morning musume and boa didn't get invited but I'm glad Ikimono Gakari did go and they didn't sing HANABI so I guess that's why ANN didn't report it.

Boa was probably invited but chose not to go as she's working on her U.S. music debut right now which has been keeping her rather busy for the past couple of months with promotions.
musashi1600

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:17 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
the Ponyo theme song is infectious. i challenge you to get it out your head after listening to it.

So you'd say Joe Hisaishi's performance was Ponyownage?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1