• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hatsune Miku Goes Realistic in New Music Videos

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ani-watcher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Does not compute!

Miku Hatsune should always remain 2D because that's where she shines and now I've grown to love her.

The 3D animation looks ugly in my opinion.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
She's not wearing a bra in that video!
Etrien

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I always enjoy seeing existing characters re-envisioned in an alternate style, so more-realistic Miku gets a thumbs up from me. In theory, anyway.

Because, unfortunately... Those mondo-boobs and mega-nipples are really distracting, and not at all in a good way. Who thought that was a good idea???
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I don't think this is an artistic success.

From her face, she looks like she was born with an extra chromosome somewhere.

yamiangie wrote:
She's not wearing a bra in that video!

Evidently not and the camera takes the trouble to make it easy to notice that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Who thought this was a good idea?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
It's great that she finally has an uncanny valley look to go with her uncanny valley sound...
machetecat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but feel this kinda defeats the whole purpose of the Vocaloid.

I mean, 3D CGI and 2D Miku are virtual images, because she is a virtual girl. Now they've actually added a real face to the character, and it's gonna be kinda hard to not visualize Miku getting older as the actress does.

...because that WAS the point of everyone fanspazzing over a synthesizer, right? The synthesizer does not age and does not take on realistic human form?
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Ok please no more Miku where she's bigger than a B-cup Mad
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Hello Uncanny Valley, so nice of you to prove that you're alive and well still.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
@machetecat
I'm pretty sure these aren't official depictions of Miku, just harmless fanmade videos. There have already been music videos of Vocaloids rendered in a more realistic style (e.g. Corruption Garden) and people cosplaying as Vocaloids, but none of them really change anything about the general perception of these characters' designs. So even as the person in the first video grows older, the image of Hatsune Miku continues to stay as an anime character. (That person's only playing as her, as a fan! Associating Miku with her from now until whenever is like associating every cosplayer you see with the character they're trying to cosplay!) The 3D model in the second video probably won't be seen much either, making it just another model out of many, many models of Miku.

Anyway... The first video is really cute, what with "Miku" playing games and sweeping away magazines as she's lying down. The person's face structure isn't round enough to make me think she's a natural Hatsune Miku, but she looks like she's enjoying herself. The song itself is quite relaxing.

The second video... The backgrounds look nice, and there's a nice amount of detail, but Miku REALLY should not have excited cow tits. PLEASE NO. Oh, and her hair looks like it was plopped down rather than, you know, actual hair. Either her head has to be bigger or her hair has to be less large. She should also get her neck checked.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
yup, when Miku falls into the uncanny, she loses her cute factor, and I think that's a problem...
I can see that sometime though, they are going to have a better interface software wise where the programming of he body is as easy [relative] as making her sing. Seems like they have better dance systems for this though, the second one wasn't much on movement, even though it looked pretty spectacular except for the faces... uh, yeah and her distracting chest.

Interestingly, couple all this with a cheap mo-cap system, and have someone who can input a visual frame library, and it'd look amazing.

We're prolly heading towards some sort of singularity there, where once you can put all this in and randomize it in the computer things start to feel less programmed and more real.

...and then she takes over the world. Wink
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
This is kinda proof that highly stylized 2D characters need to put into a highly stylized 3D style to look good in 3D. You can't do realistic with Miku unless you spend much time on re-working the design.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
This is kinda proof that highly stylized 2D characters need to put into a highly stylized 3D style to look good in 3D. You can't do realistic with Miku unless you spend much time on re-working the design.
Exactly, we've already seen many very stylized renditions and variations of Miku in 2D format, as well as the well-known 3D CG works, that are still faithful to the idealized Miku look, by SEGA and Tripshots. So I think what this tells us is that, to achieve a photorealistic Miku was neither ever intended nor will be very productive in any shape or form.
dark-kyon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
do not want.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
...because that WAS the point of everyone fanspazzing over a synthesizer, right? The synthesizer does not age and does not take on realistic human form?

Well, I imagine the initial intent of Vocaloid software was to replicate the human voice for those who required it. However, since 2008ish when Miku was first released, it's now more about cashing in on the Cult of Personality than anything beneficial to the average musician.

That being said, there are plenty of talented people out there using Vocaloid music to showcase their skills, whether its through songwriting, art, filmmaking, or even showcasing their own musicianship. So what if Sharon Apple will kill us all? We're expressing our creativity. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3