• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kingdom Hearts 3D's 10-Minute English Trailer Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
I think Sora needs a new voice actor. What made Haley Joel work in the first few games was that he actually sounded like a kid instead of an adult forcing a kid voice. It got worse with 'Re: Chain of Memories,' which was right after KH1. So far, the only young VA I could think of that might pull it off is Vincent Martella.
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:06 am Reply with quote
Oh god I want this game... But, i'd have to first get a 3DS Anime cry ... Damn... just, damn...

Btw, I gotta kinda agree about Sora's voice. Sometimes, I think it's alright and just fine but... other times... Confused
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:09 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
I think Sora needs a new voice actor. What made Haley Joel work in the first few games was that he actually sounded like a kid instead of an adult forcing a kid voice. It got worse with 'Re: Chain of Memories,' which was right after KH1. So far, the only young VA I could think of that might pull it off is Vincent Martella.

I think Sora sounds fine. Chain of Memories felt kind of awkward, but I thought it kinda worked in KH2 when he wakes up, has a giant growth spurt and his voice changed. In fact, with Sora being 16 (or near that) in game, I think it would be rather jarring to have him suddenly sounding like a little kid again.

This trailer is very exciting, but they call it an "English trailer" when it's really rather an "English dubbed trailer". Can't we get some English gameplay footage?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
blarg01

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:30 am Reply with quote
I was shocked because it didn't sound like Osment. I thought they got a new VA for this game because it's a younger Sora and Osment is what, ~24?. After a quick search, it was indeed him, but... it's not a fit at all.

Squenix needs to finish the series asap while we still have a good selection of original VA's/actors around. Of course, not all were original VA's in the series, but I would like at least see the main story cast finish the series before they are all >30 years of age.

It's a big money maker for squenix still, but this is one story I'll like there to be a real ending to and not milk longer than it is right now. 10 years of this is more than enough time.

That's a big request, to ask a company who makes money, though...
Pavilion5097

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:54 am Reply with quote
blarg01 wrote:

It's a big money maker for squenix still, but this is one story I'll like there to be a real ending to and not milk longer than it is right now. 10 years of this is more than enough time.

That's a big request, to ask a company who makes money, though...

It is a big request and i read something awhile ago that said once KH3 comes out that will end the current storyline but they have plans for more after that so it seems we will have more kingdom hearts in the many years to come which isnt a bad thing if they dont kill the story
sainta

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:59 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

I think Sora sounds fine. Chain of Memories felt kind of awkward, but I thought it kinda worked in KH2 when he wakes up, has a giant growth spurt and his voice changed. In fact, with Sora being 16 (or near that) in game, I think it would be rather jarring to have him suddenly sounding like a little kid again.

In this game Osment actually has to voice a younger and an older Sora that changes depending on the cutscenes so I guess it needs to be consistent to avoid confusions. It surprised me McCartney as Roxas. He sounds identical to the time of II, but Axel's voice sounds a bit different even though the actor was already an adult during his first appearance. Riku also sounds the same to me. By the way David Gallagher now does two characters right? I also think Master Xehanort will probably have a new actor since Spock retired.
RazzBerrieCharm

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
I also think Master Xehanort will probably have a new actor since Spock retired.

Makes me wonder who will replace him.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for this game, I want to play it oh so badly. Thanfully though I have Kid Icarus & Sonic 4 ep II to tide me over until it comes out.

But yeah, this may end up being my favorite KH game since II from the looks of the trailer.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I stopped caring about the ending 5 years ago when they kept making sidegame after sidegame.

I will get this only for the TWEWY goodness, but everything else? Meh.

I hope they kept TWEWY voice actors or I'm gonna be disappointed.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

It bothers me but at the same time it doesn't bother. Haley Joel's voice prepuberty really embodied Sora, so it was kind of a shame after he got older and his voice changed and now everytime they do a game where Sora is pre KHII is odd to have his post puberty voice talking. But considering the japanese seiyuu was older to begin with and his rendition of Sora imo was never as youthful as Osment's to start, I've kind of gotten over it.

The game looks awesome and always love it how KH games make the effort to connect EVERYTHING that's happened thus far. Looks like I'll be picking up some extra shifts so I can purchase both the 3DS and this game come july.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
fudge nintendo, Square needs to release moar for PSP and PS3!
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
In the Steven Spielberg movie, "Artificial Intelligence," Haley Joel Osment plays a little boy named David, who is actually a human-like robot programmed to feel "love." He wishes to become a human, so he searches for the "Blue Fairy," the fictional fairy from the story of "Pinocchio" who he believes can turn him into a real boy.

In this game, Haley Joel Osment plays Sora, who, in the span of the story, goes to Pinocchio's world and actually meets the Blue Fairy in person.

I am speechless at my own revelation. .______.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1