• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Place to Place (Acchi Kocchi) (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote

Place to Place (Acchi Kochi) (TV)

Genres: comedy, romance, slice of life
Themes: school

Plot Summary: The serious-minded Tsumiki and the pure-hearted Io feel they never want to be parted, and yet they haven't fallen in love yet. More than friends but not lovers, they develop an awkward quasi-romance.
----------------------------------

Actually its set up acts like a gag anime, you have a bunch of characters like the trouble making student mad scientest, typical bishounen male who is slightly naughty, and the clumsy girl who is a bit naive and gets nosebleeds from romance. But the music is just so mellow and inoffensive that it highlights its feeling of a romance going at its own calm rate. It plays on some of the cliches on anime, but there is a question whether it can keep itself from falling into tired expected gags, though as of episode one it kept me engaged and managed to steer itself away from an expected gag with spoiler[silence].
4750G

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
I agree with Tsumiki being a Konata look-alike, but their personalities could not be more different. The first episode is not bad, but the jokes aren't that funny in my opinion. Feels like I've seen them somewhere else. Despite the unfunny jokes, I do like the cutely drawn characters, especially Tsumiki's cat ears. I'd need funnier episodes for me to continue watching. But then again, I can't resist the cuteness.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
This is one of those quiet, safe, understated humour shows that I enjoy every once in a while. The gags in the first episode were probably 50/50 for me in terms of making me laugh, but at no point did I frown at how much they'd missed the mark, as I have with some other shows in the past (*coff* Kill Me Baby *coff*).

The romance is pretty cute and Tsumiki works for me in terms of characterisation and design. The gang is a decent mix of the usual archetypes. Whilst this show probably won't break any new ground, it's nice to have something like this to watch every once in a while.
superdry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
The show is so cute and laidback and just a fun, relaxing watch. Some of the comedy was pretty funny too during certain scenes.

Tsumiki is absolutely adorable (too cute to be a tsundere) and I love her cute, shy interactions with Io - who's super nice and pretty much a sweetheart, but either doesn't care or is too dense about how she feels about him. Everyone else rounds out the fun, silly, crazy cast.

Fighting game fans (maybe more tournament fans?) should love the reference when Sakaki and Tsumiki played the fighting game in the arcade. Little touches like that always amuse me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2
Pretty much the same sort of praises from first episode, but I wonder if there is something the show wants to give praise to Io as a source of fanservice to the girls. It is sweet, but with some funny to keep it interesting.

Mayoi is definetly worth some laughs with how she dubbed the chocolate, and I did see where the ribbon thing was heading. The spoiler[meat house] thing was also good little throw in, way to make a fairy tale about canabalism even scarier. But I did laugh a lot when boys without thinking ate the chocolates spoiler[to find that she did in fact put frog meat in meat in them], and Sakaki threatened spoiler[to put pig feet in her marshmellows] for white day.

I have dropped series before like A-Channel, for some reason I am reminded of Hanamaru Kindergarten, well the parts at the previews help with that connection. But this is cute.
4750G

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching the second episode. This show is too cute. I'm falling in love with the cuteness. I'm definitely gonna continue watching, if only to bask in the cuteness overload. I was apprehensive at first since besides the cute characters, there wasn't anything else to convince me to continue watching. But what do you know, the jokes finally made me laugh. With or without the jokes, the cute characters are enough for me anyway. I wanna hug Tsumiki. Very Happy
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote
So is this being simulcasted by anybody, or am I going to have to resort to fansubs to watch this?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
EP.3

The first couple episodes were a bit rough but I thought this one was really good. It's really hitting that intersection of cuteness and humor now. It was a bit strange to be suddenly introduced with the idea that the tiny Tsumiki is apparently super strong, I don't remember that being used in the first two episodes, but once you become accustomed to it, it made for some very funny jokes.

If there's one big problem it's that I'm not sure the fansub group I got is all that good. There was this weird joke that dealt with the airhead incorrectly finishing a sentence Tsumiki was too embarassed to finish (Would I make a Goo, goo, goo... GOOGLE) and failing to make any sense or be funny at all. There are a number of instances like that where the translation feels "Off." It's really too bad it's not getting a stream anywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:37 am Reply with quote
I couldn't hate it if I wanted to, I kind of liked one of the new characters, the green haired girl reminded me of Yotsuba. The new guy was another character to just pick on, but I did not really see how he differed from Sakaki, maybe that is why he did not appear in side B. Perhaps he is more of a target, but he did give a bit of flare for being standard male main character.

Liked to see that Io had a bit of a playful side to him when he was giving food and picking on new guy. But what school cooking class alows wine "red or white".
4750G

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote
Yep, I'm definitely liking this one. Episode three was good, at least better than the previous ones. About Tsumiki being strong, for me it was a good addition to her character, since her being a tsundere isn't really explored that often in the show. Besides, the other characters were pretty much the same, but the show's getting funnier, for me at least. I'm surprised they introduced new characters at part B of this episode. I thought they were going to stick with their main characters. I really liked the blonde haired girl, she seemed quite sadistic. She does have a nice side to her. I hope they use them more often, just so I don't get tired of the usual faces.

Overall, can't complain. Some of the jokes were quite not really well executed (the goo... Google thing was mentioned; I repeated that part to listen to the Japanese audio and see if the sounds match but they don't, weird) but I'm easily swayed by the cuteness, so. Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 4
I think that this might even be my favourite of the season, there is not much plot, much hapenning, or fanservice, but it just works with me. There is always something that comes out of left field that surprises me and makes me laugh. This time it was the spoiler[painted wall that stopped Hime but Kana just went through] in the first part, and Sakaki's instruction on making a guy fall for a girl in the second. I think that I am reminded of Potemayo.

I did not really care for the kick the can thing in the first part, but with them able to show off the main characters with the extended cast it is still entertaining, like Azumanga but with guys aswell. Actually I like all of the characters, there are not really any traits that I think make the characters hard to watch, which is strang for a tsundere show. They put another cat smile character in too in the second part which I think was much better, well it was more aimed at the romance aspect, with fun character dynamics. Well questioning it's own tsundere/clueless genre, and the talk show host who I found instantly likeable for her talk of not actually solving any problems. Oh and the nosebleeds still work, this time a chain hit by Io.
quikbeam1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I am really enjoying this show so far, probably one of my favorite ones of the season. The show is not always the funniest, and some of them do feel like they are just translated from panel comics, but I still love it. The cuteness of the show is what really got me. Tsumiki is so cute and all the other characters are just so much fun to watch, that i love the show.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Aww, I'm sad at how I found this thread on page four. Where's the love?

I checked out over twenty-five different series this season and am still following twenty-one, and out of all those shows, Acchi Kocchi has to be one of my very favourites. It's cute, funny, quirky and endearing. It uses Moe to make me laugh and smile rather than to try and force some fake emotional connection. It is a priority view for me, and I'll watch new episodes of it even ahead of other good titles such as Accel World, Sankarea, Kids on the Slope, Space Brothers, Nazo no Kanojo X or Hyouka. If it ends well it'll get an A- from me for sure.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Aww, I'm sad at how I found this thread on page four. Where's the love?

I checked out over twenty-five different series this season and am still following twenty-one, and out of all those shows, Acchi Kochi has to be one of my very favourites. It's cute, funny, quirky and endearing. It uses Moe to make me laugh and smile rather than to try and force some fake emotional connection. It is a priority view for me, and I'll watch new episodes of it even ahead of other good titles such as Accel World, Sankarea, Kids on the Slope, Space Brothers, Nazo no Kanojo X or Hyouka. If it ends well it'll get an A- from me for sure.

There is no legal stream for this show so most likely it got swept under the rug. I only watched a couple of epiosdes, while it fits the moe-blob void it's the type I just want to marathon in one day, rather than wait week to week to watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
Yeah someone else with good taste, I have been loving it too, just hurts that it takes a little while for some fansubs to sub it, like some that just don't like it as much. Waiting for new episode now. Anime catgrin
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3