• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: BlazBlue Series Hits 1.7 Million Units Sold Globally, 800,000 in US

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chipp12

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I hope that they'll release PSP version of Extended too...
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While specific details have yet to be revealed, entrants will have the chance to win body pillows of the character Jin,

Glad to see that they're giving us Fujoshi/Fudanshi some cool stuff too.

Ironically, my 2 mains in CSEX are girls--Platinum and Lambda.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
While specific details have yet to be revealed, entrants will have the chance to win body pillows of the character Jin,

Glad to see that they're giving us Fujoshi/Fudanshi some cool stuff too.

Ironically, my 2 mains in CSEX are girls--Platinum and Lambda.

I saw that in the article and then realized that BlazBlue must not be made for a straight guy such as myself. Which is utterly tragic, as it is my favorite modern 2d fighter (since real Guilty Gear has been forgotten in the current console generation).

Oh well, I'll keep playing it, even if I can infer from this article that I'm in the vast minority of players demographically.

On the game itself, I still, after all this time, find it distressing that there wasn't an option to buy the game with all the DLC characters unlocked. If I play at a friend's setup, if he doesn't have all the DLC characters purchased, I'll either have to not use them or we'll have to rebuy them, which is significantly more expensive (and obviously why the DLC route was taken).
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:07 am Reply with quote
Extend has all the DLC characters and a new one, Relius.

Also, it's not a Fujoshi game. The male-female ratio is thus:

Male: Ragna, Jin, Hakumen, Valkenhyn, Bang, Tager, Hazama, Carl, Relius, Arakune (10 males)

Female: Noel, Makoto, Mu-12, Lambda-11, Tsubaki, Rachel, Luna/Platinum, Litch, Taokaka (9 females)

Rather balanced.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:21 am Reply with quote
How many total games are there that make up the 'series'?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
How many total games are there that make up the 'series'?

Five, but really two "technically"

Calamatiy Trigger which had a console version and a PSP port

Continuum Shift, which had a console version, an "Extend" console version, a 3DS version and a Vita port
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I saw that in the article and then realized that BlazBlue must not be made for a straight guy such as myself. Which is utterly tragic, as it is my favorite modern 2d fighter (since real Guilty Gear has been forgotten in the current console generation)

If Litchi Faye-Ling's big boobies and her penchant for dressing Noel up aren't indicators that this is made with the straight male in mind, then I don't know what the heck does.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:51 am Reply with quote
Don't you understand, Darkhappy? This game obviously isn't made for male gamers, just look at Makoto (mildly NSFW, I guess)

Obviously not for males...
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
darkhappy1 wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
I saw that in the article and then realized that BlazBlue must not be made for a straight guy such as myself. Which is utterly tragic, as it is my favorite modern 2d fighter (since real Guilty Gear has been forgotten in the current console generation)

If Litchi Faye-Ling's big boobies and her penchant for dressing Noel up aren't indicators that this is made with the straight male in mind, then I don't know what the heck does.

For the past ~4 years, I also thought this, that BlazBlue was obviously designed to pander primarily to the stereotypical male fighting game otaku. I spent almost half a decade playing this game in SP, online, with my friends, and at cons, almost always against/with fellow stereotypical males, under that impression but now I realize that it was wrong and I despair that I, and those legions of straight male players of BlazBlue, were so deluded for so long.

I thought that Jin was just a bit of perfunctory pandering to the occasional fangirl who might pick up the game, but the fact that he is the only body pillow available per the arrangement described in this article, shows that he was the real focus of the game and the "perfunctory" pandering was all the stuff mentioned herein that made straight guys think the game was for them.

We were duped Rolling Eyes Wink

Quote:

Extend has all the DLC characters and a new one, Relius.

By the time it hit the market, almost 2 years after its original version, it was too late as everyone I knew had bitten the bullet and paid for redundant DLC, and was as such perturbed at the whole franchise. TBH my major complaint with this franchise is that still, after 4 years, there is a dearth of playable characters. Sadly, again after 4 years, there are quite a few features of Guilty Gear that I liked which didn't make it to BlazBlue, not the least of which was the superior "Heavy Rock" soundtrack, the reasons for which will forever be a mystery as Ishiwatari was on board both games. BlazBlue's soundtrack doesn't even compare to Guilty Gear's, at least, not favorably Sad
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
First of all, BB's OST is WAY better than GG's (which is still good). Second, BB contains a far more original and unique cast than most other fighting games. I'd take a few interesting and unique characters than a cast of similar people (Hey, Super Scrub Fighter 4, Arcade Edition!)
DarkPhoenixMishima

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:36 am Reply with quote
I'd laugh if the only thing stopping them from releasing an actual third game is trying to figure out what to call it.
Calamity Trigger
Continuum Shift
What's next?

Also we could use some more characters. I'd say at least five given we only were given two new ones when Continuum Shift came out.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
The fact that like 80% of the fanart in the gallery is sexualizing the female characters shows what the audience is for these games.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1