• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 8% Sales Drop in Graphic Novels Aimed at U.S. Adults

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:14 am Reply with quote
WTF? Berserk actually ranks in the top 25 manga? Really surprising, considering the economy and its niche appeal coupled with the higher price.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:26 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
WTF? Berserk actually ranks in the top 25 manga? Really surprising, considering the economy and its niche appeal coupled with the higher price.
Ah. But your view was only limited from a manga fan's prospective. Have you ever thought about the relevance of the source material that's Berserk with the more matured fantasy fandom? Anime fans aren't the only people who are fanatic with their hobby, you know.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:03 am Reply with quote
Well if the publishers actually came out with decent material (i.e. no filler crap which other companies seem to be now doing that TOKYOPOOP and ADV Manga did a few years back and paid dearly for), and stores actually carried said books (i'm looking at you Borders), then maybe we wouldn't have such a drop.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:51 am Reply with quote
I do think mature manga, could be marketed a lot better than it is. With younger reader, the word of mouth, blogs and website like ANN will spread the buzz. A lot of adult don'r frequent these places though.

If you want to help shift manga like A Drifting Life, Me and the Devil Blues or Summit of the Gods, send copies for review to the right places, and advertise better. These will appeal to those who don't read manga normally. I don't think enough is done to promote them enough, not even in Borders etc.

Another problem for the industry to address. They just keep stacking up, don't they?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
melonbread

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:39 am Reply with quote
All I buy is manga aimed at that group...

Eugh.
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:18 am Reply with quote
No job = very limited buying. I've been focusing on anime on CR since I already had a membership, and other streaming sites. And now that IKKI is up I'll enjoy reading that. But a lot of graphic novels aimed at adults are more expensive, and I can't afford that until I'm employed again.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Still kinda upset Gantz isn't on the list but then again, it isn't being pushed by Viz. They almost force certain titles on you.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
Still kinda upset Gantz isn't on the list but then again, it isn't being pushed by Viz. They almost force certain titles on you.

Given that Gantz is published by Dark Horse, why would you expect Viz to push it?
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:

Given that Gantz is published by Dark Horse, why would you expect Viz to push it?
Well I meant that it would have probably had a little bit more sales had Viz acquired it. Viz is owned by Shueisha which owns the rights to Gantz. I'm actually glad Dark Horse has it because Viz would have censored the hell out of it.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't worry too much, Daimao Raki, I remember Gantz making the top 10 manga list one week, so I'd say it's at least getting decent sales.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised they sell any at all. Everytime I go to the book store and pass the manga section there are always people of all ages camped out on the floor of the aisle reading manga, when they're done they pack up and leave without making a purchase. It's odd really, I never see this behavior this frequently in any other part of the bookstores, and I spend a lot of time in bookstores.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I'm surprised they sell any at all. Everytime I go to the book store and pass the manga section there are always people of all ages camped out on the floor of the aisle reading manga, when they're done they pack up and leave without making a purchase. It's odd really, I never see this behavior this frequently in any other part of the bookstores, and I spend a lot of time in bookstores.

That kinda sucks, isn't it? That's why certain bookstores shrink wrap manga or set up a sample volume or store clerk enforcing "no reading" request.

Hey wait a minute, aren't people do the same thing at magazine/periodical aisle?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:49 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Keonyn wrote:

That kinda sucks, isn't it? That's why certain bookstores shrink wrap manga or set up a sample volume or store clerk enforcing "no reading" request.

Hey wait a minute, aren't people do the same thing at magazine/periodical aisle?

Yes, people also grab self-help, travel, and other light reading material and usually bring it to the cafe without purchasing. The only real problem with the people reading manga is that they sit in the aisle. If they went to the cafe like everyone else, the situation would be fine, and they'd even be more inclined to purchase some food or drink.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1