• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Durarara!! Lunchbox Blu-ray set!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vcmusik

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
So, I just got my set yesterday from TRSI, like some of you out there probably did as well. Overall, pretty sweet deal @ $150.

I was pretty bummed out that it was stereo audio with no 5.1 for either Japanese or English, but the audio/visual quality is generally a noticeable improvement over the DVD version. I noticed that there's a considerable lack of extras, particularly the music videos for the OP/ED that didn't carry over from the DVDs.

Also, I couldn't find English subs for the Japanese audio commentary for each episode, which really bums me out. Is this a mistake on the part of Aniplex?
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I've also read elsewhere that Japanese on-screen text is not translated. For instance, whenever Simon speaks in Russian, it shows the subtitles in Japanese, but not in English.

Is this true? Because that is NOT cool. That's a big enough issue to convince Aniplex into doing a recall.
vcmusik

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I just did a spot-check of each disc for extras (or, lack thereof) and just to check the quality, but I didn't come across those specific scenes. I'll verify when I get home. More likely than not, you're probably right.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
I've also read elsewhere that Japanese on-screen text is not translated. For instance, whenever Simon speaks in Russian, it shows the subtitles in Japanese, but not in English.

Is this true? Because that is NOT cool. That's a big enough issue to convince Aniplex into doing a recall.

Before you go on a rant, Viz DOES the same thing. If you want to read the on-screen shit or have the opening theme in English, you have to turn the English subtitles on. The Durarara DVDs are the same, they just didn't do it with the BD. Also, if you can't put the subtitles on at curtain times, just shows how lazy you are.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Not having a songs & signs track(or not forcing the relevant subtitles) sounds like a rather major issue. And VR, that's not laziness - that's expecting things to actually work.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Before you go on a bitch rant, Viz DOES the same thing. If you want to read the on-screen shit or have the opening theme in English, you have to turn the English subtitles on. The Durarara DVDs are the same, they just didn't do it with the BD. Also, if you can't put the subtitles on at curtain times, just shows how lazy you are.

Well EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE ME, PRINCESS. I thought I was watching a TV show, not playing an interactive game. Rolling Eyes

The whole point of watching a TV show is "WATCHING" it. Not forcibly turning on the subtitles just to read the displayed on-screen text at certain points during the show. And believe me, there is a TON of text in Durarara!!, making it an enormous hassle having to switch the subs on and off every five seconds.

You would THINK for a boxset that costs A HUNDRED AND FIFTY FREAKIN' DOLLARS that they'd at very least put forth the effort to translate the on-screen text, especially after they've already done it for the DVD release. But no. I'm not about to pay that outrageous price for a product that I can't even fully enjoy.

And yes, I know Viz does it too, and it annoys me there as well. But most of the shows they license don't have as much text as Durarara!! does, nor do they contain entire conversations in Russian that AREN'T TRANSLATED.

There is absolutely NO excuse for Aniplex not to have included signs/text subs on this release, and anyone who has bought it has every right in the world to be upset about it.

Oh, and for the record? It's called a "spell check". Unless of course by "curtain times" you are referring to the beginning of a stage play. Razz
Timesplitter 01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I would not mind actually watching the whole series in Japanese with the english subtitles. I dont think I would mind watching it in english with english subtitles on the screen.

However kinda disappointed that they did not translate the russian in the subtitles Confused
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
You people act like it's big pain in the ass to push ONE damn button. And honestly, I watched the whole damn series in 1 day, it's not that text-heavy, like people are claiming it to be. 1st off, most of the time when they have a chat room conversation, voices are speaking what's on the damn screen. 2nd, Celty speaks most what she types. At most, you only need the damn subtitles like a dozen times.

Damn people are pain ass lazy. I watch on my PS3, I took the time to turn the controller on, rewind, put the subtitles on, to read what the hell was on Celty's phone. A normal BD player, it's much easier then that.

So what if the damn set is $150, you can invest $500 into the Bleach or Naruto series and it still won't have on-screen text. The DVD sets of Drrr didn't have on-screen text, so why would the BD set be any different? And FYI, they copied the Japanese BD release, that doesn't have on-screen text either. Either suck it up and push a simple to get your on-screen text for a dozen times or don't bother with the damn series. Turn on the damn subtitles if you want to know so damn badly what Izaya and Simon are saying in Russian, it really isn't all that of an important conversation. The on-screen stuff isn't really all the damn important to the show.
Timesplitter 01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
You people act like it's big pain in the ass to push ONE damn button.

I dont have a problem with pushing a button.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
But if Aniplex released the DVDs with the option to turn on the songs and signs subtitles (which I'm sure would apply to the conversation translation), then there's really no reason why they didn't release it on the Blu-Rays.

Aspects like that should be exactly the same for both release; it's not like that's something that should be considered "DVD exclusive". There's no excuse for it, other than Aniplex messed up.

Call me "lazy" if you want, but I set up my DVDs so I can watch them straight through and just skip the OP/ED as I see fit; having to flick the subtitles on and off each time to figure out what someone/something says and wait for the mouse and menu bars to clear the picture each time just gets on my nerves more than it helps me enjoy what I'm watching. And that's what I'm supposed to be doing: enjoying.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
The DVD sets of Drrr didn't have on-screen text, so why would the BD set be any different?

Only they DID. I have those very DVDs myself. They do indeed come with a separate subtitle track for on-screen text.

Next time you wanna argue, make sure your facts are straight, sweet-cheeks. Razz Laughing

And like Aura mentioned above, turning the subs on and off is not as simple as "pushing a button". I watch the show on my PS3 just like you do, Raven, and I know firsthand how annoying it can be having to rewind, pause, open the menu, turn on the subs, play the scene, and turn them back off again once it's over. And I KNOW there are much more than a dozen times in the show that happens.

Also, your argument regarding Simon and Izaya's conversation being "unimportant" is completely irrelevant. Important or not, it is still a part of the story. Being forced to ignore it is a legitimate reason for complaint for anyone purchasing the series.

Last edited by SpacemanHardy on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Damn, this is disappointing. I'll have to think about whether this will really bother me enough to return it before opening it.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Guren Alchemist4 wrote:
Damn, this is disappointing. I'll have to think about whether this will really bother me enough to return it before opening it.

That's another thing: Aniplex says right on their RightStuf listing "All Sales Final".

So not only does that piece of crap company like charging you out the wazoo, but they're also too stingy to give you your money back on an unopened product. Rolling Eyes

I definitely would file a complaint with them, though. If nothing else, I wanna see how they respond. Will they be helpful and offer replacements? I seriously doubt it. But it will at least be interesting to see them try to worm their way outta this one. Twisted Evil

In fact, I implore that everyone who recently bought this boxset to e-mail Aniplex. This is big enough of an issue for them to address.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:
The DVD sets of Drrr didn't have on-screen text, so why would the BD set be any different?

Only they DID. I have those very DVDs myself. They do indeed come with a separate subtitle track for on-screen text.

Next time you wanna argue, make sure your facts are straight, sweet-cheeks. Razz Laughing

VR pretty much makes shit up on a regular basis, so anything he/she says has to be taken with a giant grain of salt.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:

Let's see...seeing as my friend per-ordered the DVD sets and have them on her shelf. She checked and says there are no on-screen text. I'll take her word over yours. And you ALSO know, the US release is mirroring the Japanese release...the Japanese BD release has NO on-screen text.

Not like the world will end if we don't have on-screen text. And honestly, there are only 4 times I can think of when you the damn subtitles. Opening/Ending (not all that important), when Celty typed something to Izaya about the girl that jumped off the building, when Celty showed Shizuo her phone and he went with her (forgetting about Izaya), and during the Russian conversation (happens 2 times, 1 being asking directions and other time about Izaya's Shizuo complex). The other times, they are speaking what is on the screen. Make sure you don't sprain that thumb of yours when you turn those subtitles on for the 3 times you might really need them.

This show is more speech heavy than text-heavy...sorry, but you can survive turning them on a few times. It's not liek the whoel damn anime has Celty typing and she's not speaking what she's typing, she only doesn't speak 2-3 times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5