• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Darling is a Foreigner Film's Trailer Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsukikage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to watching this, I still find myself wondering if it's going to end up being completely trite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Jonathan Sherr is a lucky guy.
crazyd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
This looks like a good movie. Times like this that i really want to understand japanese. Sad . Oh well. Hope it comes out in sub.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Alternative title: "What Asian chicks like. #1: White Dudes"
SonicDaMan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I gotta see this when it's out Anime hyper
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:19 am Reply with quote
I can't deny I try to sound Yakuza-esque like at times, too. heh
saiyajedi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:54 am Reply with quote
tsukikage wrote:
I'm looking forward to watching this, I still find myself wondering if it's going to end up being completely trite.

Depends on how closely it follows the source material. The books are very good at illustrating the trials and triumphs of an intercultural relationship without resorting to stereotypes. And Tony really is weird, but in a lovable way.

That said, how well the movie will do with Japanese audiences who are geared towards stereotyped, trite, lowest-common-denominator fare is an open question. Confused

Tomibiki wrote:

Grow up, will you? Mad
00Bear00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:08 am Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:

LOL I live and Japan and I do have to say that this is true. I think it would be a more interesting moving if the main guy was black Very Happy
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:43 am Reply with quote
I don't normally like romance dramas, or dramas of any kind, but if it's from Japan I make an exception, and this looks like a really interesting movie.
Houlgrave

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:

QFT.

And saiyajedi, how about YOU grow up? Just because you don't like the truth doesn't mean you have to bitch about it when somebody else has the balls to say it.
saiyajedi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:45 am Reply with quote
Houlgrave wrote:
Tomibiki wrote:

QFT.

And saiyajedi, how about YOU grow up? Just because you don't like the truth doesn't mean you have to bitch about it when somebody else has the balls to say it.

I'm not saying there aren't women like that; I live in Japan, too, and I'm well aware of that. I have experienced the dating scene firsthand, and there are plenty of women with unrealistic expectations about foreign men, mostly based on stereotypes. That said, this series is the antithesis of that, and arguably its whole point. (It also reminds me of my relationship with my fiancée, sometimes eerily so.)

And anyway, what do you mean about having the "balls" to repeat a racially-charged stereotype? That doesn't indicate the presence of manly virtue; just a crass sense of humor and lack of good sense.
00Bear00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:10 am Reply with quote
saiyajedi wrote:
Houlgrave wrote:
Tomibiki wrote:

QFT.

I'm not saying there aren't women like that; I live in Japan, too, and I'm well aware of that. I have experienced the dating scene firsthand, and there are plenty of women with unrealistic expectations about foreign men, mostly based on stereotypes. That said, this series is the antithesis of that, and arguably its whole point. (It also reminds me of my relationship with my fiancée, sometimes eerily so.)

And anyway, what do you mean about having the "balls" to repeat a racially-charged stereotype? That doesn't indicate the presence of manly virtue; just a crass sense of humor and lack of good sense.

LOL come on he was joking, if you live in Japan then you know how easily. I would say that 98% of the interracial couples out here are Japanese and white. Things are changing alot right now but still the majority of women want a white man Sad
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote
saiyajedi wrote:
Houlgrave wrote:
Tomibiki wrote:

QFT.

Firstly, I've always been interested in the books, but never had the time (Dental School). I must say the trailer looks really good, definitely something I'd like to see get a subbed US release. It looks smart and remarkably well done.

That said... It isn't *all* White men. Lord, no! All Asian women -especially Japanese women- don't throw themselves at white men like some Weeabo fantasy.

However, I will say there is a certain type of White Male that is sought after highly in the East. If you happen to be A) Well to do/wealthy or B) Handsome, you're catnip, and prime targets for Japanese ladies looking to "put a ring on it" and get their Mrs. with a well-off man. Or just date a good looking Westerner (it's kind of a status symbol for some, like an Asian man dating or marrying a good looking Western woman, especially if she's a natural blonde or natural redhead).

More than a few college friends posted in the East who work in international law, finance and investment have all said the same thing: if you're a Westerner who's got looks and or money, you're a hot commodity amongst Asian women. Especially those looking to travel and see the rest of the world, a marriage or relationship is an attractive prospect. Although, this is a commonality amongst all cultures I'd think: women finding wealth and good looks attractive.

What's more, the salaries these men make - with the high cost of living in Japan and the like- is no paltry sum. They are paid very well to work and live overseas in these kinds of fields and the locals know this. They generally have rather large and expensive apartments or lodgings comparatively to the locals, provided by their employers.

Now I don't mean to generalize that all Japanese or Asian women are this way or that every interracial relationship supports or follows this formula. These are only the observations I've seen and heard from reliable sources as well as those Japanese I've befriended during school.

Some Japanese women just like Caucasian men. But the language and cultural gap is pretty daunting on both sides, partly why I'm so keen on this movie and the related works.

And yeah, Japan likes - or I should say has, liking is besides the point- it's stereotypes. So do we. Everybody's got them.
00Bear00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
saiyajedi wrote:
Houlgrave wrote:
Tomibiki wrote:

QFT.

Firstly, I've always been interested in the books, but never had the time (Dental School). I must say the trailer looks really good, definitely something I'd like to see get a subbed US release. It looks smart and remarkably well done.

That said... It isn't *all* White men. Lord, no just most of them
[/b]

fixed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1