• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Lists BDs for Guyver, Rin, Black Cat, More

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mckg1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, Blu ray for me!!! FMP! season one, Eden of the east, and RIN for me! Very Happy Maybe Eva 1.11 aswell
Serge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
mckg1 wrote:
Awesome, Blu ray for me!!! FMP! season one, Eden of the east, and RIN for me! Very Happy Maybe Eva 1.11 aswell

Shame that 99% of FUNimation Blu-Rays are Upscales and 100% of new releases from FUNimation don't retain the Original Opening & Closing Credits and Episode titles.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Ahhhh, I knew I should have waited on buying the Mnemosyne DVD set.... Oh well, I like the series enough to double-dip. I'll also get the Eden of the East and FMA BD's.
jsieczka

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how soon coming soon means for Casshern Sins and Eden of The East? Monster, Nana and Honey and Clover are nearing completion and after that I'm kinda out of things I want to buy...that will be a first.
Otaku Teahouse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Serge wrote:
mckg1 wrote:

Shame that 99% of FUNimation Blu-Rays are Upscales and 100% of new releases from FUNimation don't retain the Original Opening & Closing Credits and Episode titles.

It seems the upscales are just for those releases they have from before things were HD. FMA Brotherhood will have the original HD source, so I'm wondering if Eden of the East and Casshern Sins will have the same treatment. If so, I'm fully on board for Eden of the East bluray.

In my opinion, the upscales they have are really bad when it comes to dnr and blurry lines, but excel at having superior color. Funi's upscale blurays only really disappoint me when it's a darker show like Basilisk, but for brighter shows like Host Club coming out soon, I might just get that, upscale or not.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Serge wrote:

Hey, this is a lie.
Tratious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Otaku Teahouse wrote:

It seems the upscales are just for those releases they have from before things were HD. FMA Brotherhood will have the original HD source, so I'm wondering if Eden of the East and Casshern Sins will have the same treatment. If so, I'm fully on board for Eden of the East bluray.

Eden of the east is a HD show and I should think that Kadokawa gave them masters, and Casshern SINS is HD so they should have gotten HD masters from Tatsunoko.

Last edited by Tratious on Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
theshillito

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Been a while since I logged into this site. A few years in fact, but I need to ask something important:

What region are Funimation's blu-ray releases?

I've yet to find a definite answer for this yet. Some places say they're all region A only, some say they're all A and B, etc. I'm in the UK, so my player is region B, and I need to know before I import any of these.

Mnemosyne and Full Metal Panic I'd love to get on blu-ray, but Manga UK (who seem to be the only ones who deal with Funimation these days) take a painfully long time to release anything over here, especially blu-ray releases.
Tratious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
bobmarleypeople wrote:
Been a while since I logged into this site. A few years in fact, but I need to ask something important:

What region are Funimation's blu-ray releases?

I've yet to find a definite answer for this yet. Some places say they're all region A only, some say they're all A and B, etc. I'm in the UK, so my player is region B, and I need to know before I import any of these.

Mnemosyne and Full Metal Panic I'd love to get on blu-ray, but Manga UK (who seem to be the only ones who deal with Funimation these days) take a painfully long time to release anything over here, especially blu-ray releases.

funi's releases are almost always region A locked the only exception that I know of is Eva 1.11, that release is A and B, but Manga UK is releasing that over in region B land
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Mmmm, delicious upscales. I wonder when FUNi will ever get a BluRay that was a remastered from film.
theshillito

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Tratious wrote:

funi's releases are almost always region A locked the only exception that I know of is Eva 1.11, that release is A and B, but Manga UK is releasing that over in region B land

Thanks for the quick response. I should have checked this before buying a new blu-ray player. Looks like I'll have to hunt down a cheap region-free one or import a Region A one. Or just wait goodness knows how long for Manga to release things.

Last edited by theshillito on Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I get what you mean by upscales, but what do you mean by "they don't include the Opening & Closing Credits and Episode titles"?
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Serge wrote:
mckg1 wrote:

Completely agree.
However the likes of Eden of the East and Casshern Sins will surely be native HD.
As for the later comment, it REALLY annoys me. How can they claim stuff is "uncut and unedited" when they remove the original OP/ED and title cards?
Fair enough if they do them for potential TV broadcasts, but with the DVD/Blu-rays, we aren't ALL interested in the dub and don't need things edited to be spoon fed.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Mmmm, delicious upscales. I wonder when FUNi will ever get a BluRay that was a remastered from film.

Most of these shows won't be upscales, just like Evangelion 1.11 isn't an upscale. I watched that bluray myself a few days ago and it looks fantastic, because it's from an HD source. Looks just as good as any other animated film on Bluray.

As has been said, Eden of the East and Casshern Sins at least are both HD shows - Lance Heiskell mentioned Casshern on our podcast a few months back specifically as one of their upcoming Bluray titles mastered from an HD source. So those won't be upscales, they'll be full HD.

I realize people are all up in arms about upscales, but you're a smart guy and should know better than to just toss out the "these will all be upscales!!" when you know full well the issue with prior releases is that there were no HD or film sources available and thus they couldn't be mastered in full HD, and now they're moving on to release shows that do have HD masters.

At least be fair and get your facts straight. Kinda sick of the blanket whining that ignores the facts.
braves

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Hey, I get what you mean by upscales, but what do you mean by "they don't include the Opening & Closing Credits and Episode titles"?

I think he means keeping the credits themselves in kanji, or at least provide an alternate angle to view them if you do translate them. It seems like such a pedantic thing to care about if FUNi were to translate everything appropriately. But sometimes they don't, and they provide incomplete or generic credits in some cases (not listing the specific key animators in a particular episode, or listing a bunch of animation directors for every single episode).

As for the episode titles, I'm pretty sure they always stick to the literal translation, so I'm not sure what good it would be to have them in kanji....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6