• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mardock Scramble, Tegami Bachi Season 2 Videos Posted

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Mardock Scramble definitely looks like a lot of money was spent on it. Let's hope the story lives up to the visuals. While it looks great, it also looks like something that could easily fall into the trap of having plenty of sex and violence just for the sake of having sex and violence. I hope it's better than that.
uicno

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm more interested in Tegami Bachi S2...S1 was full of fillers so it's nice to have the story move on Smile + it looks great too...looking forward to it
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Is it me, or did that rodent just turn into a gun?

That said, the trailer for Mardock Scramble looked okay. Visually it was impressive, but there wasn't too much going on apart from explosions every 10 seconds or so.

I'm not interested in Letter Bee at all. The first season bored me to tears after just a few episodes.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Mardock might be the best anime to ever come out of the 90s. Rolling Eyes

Much more interested in Letter Bee 2. When it wasn't doing filler episodes (or episodes that felt like filler) it was quite good. I just finished the last episode of the first season and really enjoyed the final arc. Looks like the second season is being set for a lot more action. Hopefully there's be some really good shows out between now and the Fall.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone else having trouble with the Tegami Batchi promo? I clicked on the link, downloaded something, it gave me a another link which I put into the address bar which gave me something else to download which my computer won't open....
Better yet, how soon until I can find this on youtube, lol.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I did find the promo (or at least a Tegami Batchi promo) on youtube, still have no idea what my computer was doing.

Last edited by wandering-dreamer on Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Mardock Scramble definitely looks like a lot of money was spent on it. Let's hope the story lives up to the visuals. While it looks great, it also looks like something that could easily fall into the trap of having plenty of sex and violence just for the sake of having sex and violence. I hope it's better than that.

I'm expecting sex and violence slightly lesser than A Kite. The protag is a prostitute IIRC.

The trailer looks great to me.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, though I'm surprised by the amount of nudity and adult content involved. Can't say I was expecting that when I saw the old GONZO trailer from way back when. Might be a good idea to slap a "NSFW" label on that trailer link, though...

Otherwise, I like that has that dark, mature look and atmosphere like an old mid- to late-90s OVA or film, or something that Naoyuki Onda had a hand in. The animation might need some more tightening, but I guess its visuals are to be expected of a studio that primarily does secondary work on productions from other studios (not that amazed by the music, either). Regardless, I am still really anticipating it and hope it all turns out well, given MS' history.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

I'm expecting sex and violence slightly lesser than A Kite. The protag is a prostitute IIRC.

Former prostitute, after a "life altering" or more like life ending experience. I'm OK with sex and violence, but if it's pointless and just there to shock/excite it tends to get boring quick.

Quote:

The trailer looks great to me.

Agreed.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
That Mardock Scramble trailer is pretty cool. Some very nice animation indeed. But...I also hope it wont fall into the "sex/violence/nudity for the sake of sex/violence/nudity" barrel. There's a bit of nudity in the trailer, but many of the scenes seem connected, so it would make sense, at least.
H0shi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:07 am Reply with quote
I'm more interested on Letter Bee S2 than the other one...

The promo poster made Gauche so bishie...and hinting the next season will be having some dark themes...

The manga was still ongoing...will they able to catch up? I mean, the chapters remaining was small to be covered in season two...

You know..
spoiler[In the manga, Gauche's condition wasn't still justified..]

Bet there will be more fillers on the S2...just like the S1. Hope they will not overdue it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:07 am Reply with quote
I've only seen one episode or less of Letter Bee's first season so I'll see if I watch the rest of that before bothering with season two.

Mardock Scramble has quite cool art and the music was agreeable enough, I'm hoping they'll polish the animation a bit more before they release it, it had some impressive sequences but some of it looked a little clunky. I'm intrigued by the storyline but I hope it isn't just full of violence for the sake of it and objectifying rapey "sex" scenes that are there for titillation purposes. Also will lose points if Mr Cannon Fodder is the only black character in the movie.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:15 am Reply with quote
H0shi wrote:

The manga was still ongoing...will they able to catch up? I mean, the chapters remaining was small to be covered in season two...

Only 16 of the currently 38 manga chapter have been adapted so there is plenty to work with. Tegami Bachi has pretty long chapters too and one or two places where they could work in a filler or two if they really needed to stretch it.
rep21

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Sounds good to me, i got into anime in the 90's and i miss the dark cyberpunk stuff that got me into it in the first place. I'll take that any day over the generic, stupid Moecrap that's pushed of off the assembly line these days.

Anyway the trailer looks good, i was disappointed when Gonzo canceled it before good to see it back. Though i miss Range Murata's character designs.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:17 am Reply with quote
rep21 wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Sounds good to me, i got into anime in the 90's and i miss the dark cyberpunk stuff that got me into it in the first place. I'll take that any day over the generic, stupid Moecrap that's pushed of off the assembly line these days.

I used to a watch a lot of cyberpunk anime in the 90s myself and I think there's a reason why it's done so rarely these days. It's a hard genre to keep fresh and it's difficult to do something truly unique. I wasn't at all wowed by the trailer. The art is good, but the animation looks cheap, especially the scenes with the cars. The character designs are about as generic as you can get, it's a shame Murata left the project, but seeing the trailer I can understand him not wanting to be a part of this.

I'll take good moe over generic cyberpunk any day.

Emerje
rep21

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
rep21 wrote:
Emerje wrote:

I used to a watch a lot of cyberpunk anime in the 90s myself and I think there's a reason why it's done so rarely these days. It's a hard genre to keep fresh and it's difficult to do something truly unique. I wasn't at all wowed by the trailer. The art is good, but the animation looks cheap, especially the scenes with the cars. The character designs are about as generic as you can get, it's a shame Murata left the project, but seeing the trailer I can understand him not wanting to be a part of this.

I'll take good moe over generic cyberpunk any day.

Emerje

Well if the source material is anything to go by, this will be anything but generic. Also the reason Cyberpunk is so rare these days is because sadly it doesn't print money the way Generic, Retarded, moeblobs, eating cake and ice cream do. (Sorry but there is nothing remotely "unique" about trash like K-ON it's as generic and unimaginative as you can possibly get.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1