• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New 'Lily' Vocaloid Virtual Idol Drawn by Miku's Kei

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:10 am Reply with quote
I wonder how much Kei charged for this compared to how much he charged for the original Miku design.

One can only hope his asking price has gone way, _way_, up after the incredible success Miku has been, which was in no small part because of his character design.
matteas

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:07 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
I wonder how much Kei charged for this compared to how much he charged for the original Miku design.

One can only hope his asking price has gone way, _way_, up after the incredible success Miku has been, which was in no small part because of his character design.

Yes, if it weren't for him, Vocaloid would never have been such a great success. They should appreciate it and reward Kei deservedly.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:31 am Reply with quote
Vocaloids <3 Very Happy
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:24 am Reply with quote
Cool a new Idol is all way welcome
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Eh, not really digging the new costume (said to be official art here and here. The previous ones were kinda cute, but this one is, well, slutty. The top is a bunch of random straps and sashes, just barely covering anything on the front and backless, followed by a mini skirt and thigh-high boots. Just not liking this one. Miku, Lin, and Ren had a school uniform theme going on, and Luka's outfit was downright elegant while the remaining official outfits were pretty reserved, but this one is just all over the place. It just doesn't look right, but I'm sure it'll have its fans because it shows so much skin.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
domino

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Not a fan of this one... Rin and Len brought something new with the double gender voice pack and Luka brought the first bilingual vocaloid, so what does Lily have to offer?

Her character design looks more like a fan PV version of Rin than a new character. Her tiny toothpick legs make me laugh.
sepherest

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Eh, it's okay.
I like his other designs more, but I'll take anything over the ones that were made for Ah Software.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Eh, not really digging the new costume (said to be official art here and here. The previous ones were kinda cute, but this one is, well, slutty. The top is a bunch of random straps and sashes, just barely covering anything on the front and backless, followed by a mini skirt and thigh-high boots. Just not liking this one. Miku, Lin, and Ren had a school uniform theme going on, and Luka's outfit was downright elegant while the remaining official outfits were pretty reserved, but this one is just all over the place. It just doesn't look right, but I'm sure it'll have its fans because it shows so much skin.

Why're you comparing it to the Crypton Vocaloids? Crypton has denied having anything to do with Lily. And she looks fine to me. "Barely covering anything on the front"? My friend, you have not seen enough hentai characters. I'm not even seeing her midriff.
championferret

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
To people complaining about the design - All we can see so far is what ANN have posted in this article, that tiny draft picture where all you can see is her head. The colour picture people seem to be convinced is the new vocaloid is actually the cover Kei drew for a band called animove that do covers of anime songs, it has no relation to Vocaloid. People are speculating that Lily may look like this, but it's most likely that she would be redesigned.
Judging from the 'codename' part of her 'name', I'm quite sure this will be from AH Software and not Crypton. But it's interesting then that Kei - so affiliated with Crypton - would draw her, though.

AH Software vocaloids are decent...I like Kiyoteru-sensei (more for the sake of having more male voices, his oddly high voice did take a while to grow on me but I find it rather cute now) and Yuki's voice is so uniquely soft and adorable and so different to any of the previous Vocaloids (although the new Append Miku with the "sweet" voice is giving her a run for her money), but although Miki's design is fantastic, her voice isn't that special to me, it sounds like a mixture of Rin and parts of Miku. Perhaps Lily will offer a more unique voice.

The only real disappointment for me is that Crypton still haven't announced anything else about this mythical male CV04. :C
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:50 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
The only real disappointment for me is that Crypton still haven't announced anything else about this mythical male CV04. :C

I was under the impression that they weren't doing any more in the CV line; any new product would be part of a different line.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:10 am Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
Why're you comparing it to the Crypton Vocaloids?

Why wouldn't I? It's a Vocaloid and it's from the same artist. It's only natural to make a comparison.

Quote:
Crypton has denied having anything to do with Lily.

It's very common for companies to deny things that have been leaked until they're ready to announce it themselves. It's bad business to let outside sources get the jump on you.

Quote:
And she looks fine to me. "Barely covering anything on the front"? My friend, you have not seen enough hentai characters. I'm not even seeing her midriff.

Vocaloids are hentai characters now? Huh? I don't see your point on that one.

As for not seeing a midriff...

Can you see it now?

It's an identical design to the one in the magazine sketch, btw, which in turn is the same as the character representing Yuri on the CD cover. So either the magazine has this all wrong or this is our next Vocaloid.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
championferret

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:56 am Reply with quote
Emerje, can you say where you're getting this magazine sketch from? Because on both the blog and this ANN article only Lily's head is visible. I can't see her costume at all. How can you tell the designs are the same then? Or do you have another image source somewhere that shows the whole magazine picture?

edit= While I'm pretty neutral on the outfit itself (Pixiv artists have a way of making things look decent; I mean Gumi's boxart was butt-ugly and now I love her design), I'll be pretty miffed if Lily -will- be exactly the same as Yuri, because I find it pretty lazy to just reuse a design like that. :/

Joe Mello wrote:
championferret wrote:

I was under the impression that they weren't doing any more in the CV line; any new product would be part of a different line.

I was quite sure that Crypton announced CV04 towards the end of last year though as a male voice that was a 'popular young seiyuu'. They said more details would follow, but they never did... I'm still hoping these details will come eventually. To have 4 other vocaloids announced since then, none of which have been this Crypton male, is a bit weird and disappointing, even if these four are from a totally different company. (and even though I do love Yuki to little pieces) Since CV means Character Vocal, and the 'new male' was said to be voiced by a young seiyuu, then he still fits the CV model so far.... although i'm not really sure what a 'new line' would be myself.
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
[..] The previous ones were kinda cute, but this one is, well, slutty. [...]

What's wrong with that? LOL
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Emerje, can you say where you're getting this magazine sketch from? Because on both the blog and this ANN article only Lily's head is visible. I can't see her costume at all. How can you tell the designs are the same then? Or do you have another image source somewhere that shows the whole magazine picture?

I base it on what little we can see of her costume, which is identical:

Hair is the same, as are the headphones. Both have the collar. You can see some of the "sash" on her left shoulder, the two bands are the same on her left upper arm and all of the bands around her left forearm and wrist. I would assume the rest of the costume is identical as well.

Emerje
sash2501

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm very curious to know who will be voicing her. I like Lily's design just fine. Speaking of costumes, Miku's new 'Append' outfit is unique and sexy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1