• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Super Robot Taisen Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm looking forward to this. Being a fan of Super Robot Wars, especially the idea of it, this has got me excited. That is of course assuming there is some decent writing, but if it follows the games in terms of its layout, it should be pretty good.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm "meh" on this. The beauty of Super Robot Wars was to pit characters from different animes and manga's against each other, and get fights like Amuro Ray clobbering Heero Yui and Koji Kabuto trashing Shinji Ikari. With just original designs and characters, a lot of the charm of the uber-crossover is lost.
Razorlight6

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I'm "meh" on this. The beauty of Super Robot Wars was to pit characters from different animes and manga's against each other... With just original designs and characters, a lot of the charm of the uber-crossover is lost.

Well, you do get that blue Gundam-like one. Laughing What I wanna know is, where's the "Valkyrie?" And they better have JAM Project do the OP/ED songs. They may not have licenced mecha Rolling Eyes but creating and animating sprites in a game is a whole other ball game from anime. Who would risk their property being mishandled [cough] games [/cough] unless they were in control?

Although, if the characters are unrelated to the original anime and it's just fun G Gundam-type battles then I guess it could happen. But who could afford the licences and adequate staff? I'd love to see a crappily drawn, cheaply animated Eva battling... well, anyone. I'd laugh my ass off.
spider-moose

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:55 pm Reply with quote
at least SRX is in it

I LOVE SUPER ROBOT X!

but I want Pysbuster and the other Moushinkin to be in it too Sad

I can't wait to see it

I hope its really good, and you never know, if this does good, they might make one with Mazinger Z, Getter Robo, Gundam, etc Very Happy
Vekou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Too bad there won't be anything like a Gundam vs. Evangelion vs. Big O vs. Macross deathmatch. But it still could be good. Those mecha designs are awesome.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I guess that the game-original models need some justification for being, not to mention rake in a couple yen. Therefore, we have this.

I'd love if JAM Project or Jindou (while we're at it) did OP/ED, but I don't think it's gonna happen.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:59 am Reply with quote
Well damn, I couldn't read the article since it was in Japanese. I just took a quick look so I didn't know the whole thing would be original mechs and characters. When I think SRW I think famous anime robots. It'll still be fun but sigh, I guess I shoulda known better. A true SRW anime is a little too far out of reach.
NeoEllis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Looks interesting, but it could turn out to be just another Cybuster anime. All in all, I too am a bit disappointed by the lack of the famous-mecha-crossover element. Hard to call it a true "Super Robot Wars" anime without that, ne?

Also, why do so many people seem to think that the SRW series is about the likes of Eva fighting the likes of Getter Robo? That's not what the games are about. Period.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote
NeoEllis wrote:
Also, why do so many people seem to think that the SRW series is about the likes of Eva fighting the likes of Getter Robo? That's not what the games are about. Period.

Yeah, I've only played a translated SNES ROM of one of the games and it was basicly the good guys vs. the bad guys from the various series.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LeSomeGuy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:34 pm Reply with quote
WHY WON'T BANPRESTO RELEASE SUPER ROBOT TAISEN SERIES IN ENGLISH......
spider-moose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:20 pm Reply with quote
yeah, the games are basically good guys vs bad guys from all the series

but only when its in the story of the game is when they fight

like in Alpha, if EVA Unit 1 loses all its HP, it goes berserk and is almost impossible to stop!

It will attack anything in its way, EVEN YOU!

but bandai is probably the only company that could release these games out over here, or a bigger company that makes videogames

but right now, untill they can see a profit, they won't take a chance in bringing them out over here cause of the licenesing fees and what not
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:13 am Reply with quote
NeoEllis wrote:
Looks interesting, but it could turn out to be just another Cybuster anime. All in all, I too am a bit disappointed by the lack of the famous-mecha-crossover element. Hard to call it a true "Super Robot Wars" anime without that, ne?

Because I'm a huge fan of the skirmish mode?

In any case, this will hopefully outdo Cybuster.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:30 pm Reply with quote
LeSomeGuy wrote:
WHY WON'T BANPRESTO RELEASE SUPER ROBOT TAISEN SERIES IN ENGLISH......

Because it's virtually impossible. In order to release any compilation game in the US (like SRW, Sunrise World War, and the new Shonen Jump game) the US distributer would have to come to terms with every single licence holder for every single character and mech in the game. Potentially every single company that releases a manga, anime, or video game for a series that one of these mechs are based on would have to be cut in or else contracts would be broken. By the time every company got their cut the profits would be so low that the release couldn't be justified.

Never happen, ever.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Huckebein Mk. III

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:43 am Reply with quote
Since a lot of people obviously aren't aware... The SRWOG OVA is based on the Original Generation games that follow very effectively expanded original storylines and compelling characters. But apparently Banpresto doesn't get to decide what's SRW or not, because American internet forum users are the authorities on a game series they probably don't understand beyond the basic gameplay mechanics.

OG's characters and story easily stand on their own, not to mention the superb mecha designs. For me, SRW's original characters and stories have always been more interesting than fighting Ankoku Daishogun over and over for 8 games straight, or fighting battles whose outcome i've already seen, and especially so now that they've been so effectively fleshed out in OG and OG2.

The Psybuster anime was a travesty that wasn't even remotely based on SRW aside from mecha designs and a few minor plot details; the OG OVA promises to follow the plot of OG/2 faithfully.

At any rate, if you don't like the originals, don't use them or play OG. And if you don't like the idea of them getting their own anime, don't watch it. If you want to see the anime characters that appear in SRW animated, watch the anime they came from.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1