• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ōkami-san & Her Seven Companions (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Ōkami-san & Her Seven Companions (TV)

If there's a discussion topic already for the series please lock this one. (I didn't see one on the first two pages so)

It's a show being done by J.C Staff this summer season.

Quote:
A love comedy parodying fairy tales such as "Little Red Riding Hood," "The Ant and the Grasshopper," etc. Ookami Ryoko (Ookami-san) is a spunky high school girl. She is a member of a "fixer" club so called Otogi High School Bank. She fixes the school's problems with her partner Akai Ringo (Akazukin-chan.)

- Taken from the encyclopedia page

So lets get to talking about the show, episode 1 is already out
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
And where is your input on the first episode? *sign*

As for me, well, I have mixed feelings. Neither characters nor set up particularly stand out. Nearly everyone, if not everyone, is an easily recognizable archetype - we have violent tsundere, sidekick loli, future love interest of the said tsundere, a witch, "blind" "nice" president of whatever organization they run, and, of course, a maid (how can they ever make an anime like this without a maid?). These characters seem to be running some sort of "we do everything" agency, which is fine.

As for plot... it can't be taken seriously, in fact brain should be in "off" state for the duration. Else, I couldn't help but notice how moronic the job "request" was. spoiler[Instead of talking to the object of her love to persuade him to stay in club she, the client, thought of no better than stealing boys resignation form, as if it would prevent him from ever leaving the tennis club (apparently it never occurred to her that he might just make another one...).]

Other complains include Araragi clone (grow some balls man! well, he got some I'll give him a credit for those two scenes, but still, GROW SOME MORE!) and narrator (by Kuroko from Railgun, no less) who is annoying by herself and is also distracting as she speaks at the same time everyone else does. Her flat-chested joke was old before it was made, yet it was repeated three time in first episode alone.

There was one moment I liked though. That one joke made the whole episode worth watching. When "Araragi" spoiler[was tagging the pumpkin cart, lost control and set the girl flying - the moment she was in the air I thought the series would do the typical thing and let her fall, crotch-to-face, on the guy she likes. I was completely surprised by her acrobatic tricks and the result. Totally hilarious.]

I'll give it one more episode. Not very promising so far.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
My input is in my next post >.>
Please don't kill me, it's my second time trying to make a discussion topic on a currently airing show.

I liked it, sure it's full of archetype characters but it was kind of funny for me. Or at least the pumpkin bit was.

Plot wise I agree, brains need to be turned off to fully enjoy this, maybe we might get more interesting stuff down the line but for now it seems like mindless "lets see what fairy tales we can make fun of" Though I've never read the novels so I have no idea if the plot changes from parody to anything else later.

I liked the narrator, then again I love narrator jokes. I find it to be a funny way to break the 4th wall with some taste. Though I don't know the VA who's doing the voice because I never watched railgun / index.

Over all it seems generic, nothing new but it works. I'm going to keep watching to see what the show decides to do with it self.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:28 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
My input is in my next post >.>
Please don't kill me, it's my second time trying to make a discussion topic on a currently airing show.

I liked it, sure it's full of archetype characters but it was kind of funny for me. Or at least the pumpkin bit was.

Plot wise I agree, brains need to be turned off to fully enjoy this, maybe we might get more interesting stuff down the line but for now it seems like mindless "lets see what fairy tales we can make fun of" Though I've never read the novels so I have no idea if the plot changes from parody to anything else later.

I liked the narrator, then again I love narrator jokes. I find it to be a funny way to break the 4th wall with some taste. Though I don't know the VA who's doing the voice because I never watched railgun / index.

Over all it seems generic, nothing new but it works. I'm going to keep watching to see what the show decides to do with it self.

I agree with you. I would definitely like less fanservice, but hopefully that happens sooner than later. The characters are fairly typical and have been done before. Granted, the main male character (Monori? He had a very long name and it's not easy to spell either.) character hasn't been done that much (social phobia), he is probably the most original character out of the cast so far.

On that note, the cast is primarily made up of seven somewhat stereotypical characters. There is a maid, club president that apparently can see with her eyes closed, the glasses wearing president's cousin, the tsundere that of course has a fierce punch, a girl who looks younger than she actually is and is a matchmaker, the guy with a social phobia that has long hair and of course the mad scientist.

There are two others, but they haven't been properly introduced in the show. I don't know what puzzles me more; the fact that the club president can actually see while having her eyes closed or the fact that spoiler[ Ookami's gloves seemed to have come out of nowhere.]

The pumpkin scene was handled much better than I thought it would be. In fact, I actually laughed a little bit during that scene. Though the club made the mission harder than it needed to be. spoiler[ Wouldn't talking to Ooji be much easier and less time consuming than trying to steal a paper he could easily write again? Why go through all that work when talking to the guy could have solved everything in the first place.]

Despite all that, I am still willing to give this series one more try. Episode two will tell me more if this series is going to go anywhere or at the very, very least give some character growth/development. Obviously, I am not expecting a masterpiece, but something worth while to watch.
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Ookami looks like Eclair from Kiddy Grade. Funny, this series is super generic out the box. No joke, every stereotype has been done to death. How do these shows get on T.V.? An all stereotypical series?

I don't think I'll be following this series. Colorful though.
TJR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
That was a fun watch. Okami-san is slick looking, well-produced, fast paced - probably the best effort from director Yoshiaki Iwasaki since the first season of Zero no Tsukaima.

The story is rubbish, and the cliches are as irritating (and randomly mashed together) as everyone says. However, I can see this being a fun little show, assuming that you can turn off your brain and accept it as a guilty pleasure.

The show will run for only twelve episodes (and there's a ton of source material available for adaptation), so I'm sure the producers are well aware of its limitations.
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I thought the first episode was a ok. The only thing I really disliked was the narrator who didn't know when the hell to shut up. This is the first time I have ever seen a show over-narrated. They really need the narrator to shut up and let the characters speak for themselves. It was kind of hard to get into with her non-stop banter. You can't really listen to anyone else because she talks over them so much. I liked the stalker who was afraid of people and none of the other characters bothered me much so I'm giving it another few episodes.

Quote:
club president that apparently can see with her eyes closed,

President was a man.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
I thought the first episode was a ok. The only thing I really disliked was the narrator who didn't know when the hell to shut up. This is the first time I have ever seen a show over-narrated. They really need the narrator to shut up and let the characters speak for themselves. It was kind of hard to get into with her non-stop banter. You can't really listen to anyone else because she talks over them so much. I liked the stalker who was afraid of people and none of the other characters bothered me much so I'm giving it another few episodes.

Quote:
club president that apparently can see with her eyes closed,

President was a man.

I thought there were only two guys in the club? The unnamed long guy with the girl and the anti social long haired guy?

But seriously though, how in the world can the club president see with his eyes closed? Please don't tell me he is a blind warrior in disguise though. That has been done far too many times as well.

Like I said earlier, this show is filled with stereotypes and characters that aren't that original as well. The maid likes to do favors (which can be interpenetrated in several ways and some aren't exactly family friendly) and the tsundere likes to punch anything.
Skylark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
The male lead looked like Araragi but with a more um... pussy personality.

The female lead reminded me of Taiga in virtually every aspect from her height.

I found the narrator to be pretty funny contrary to some opinions and for a comedy the premise is appealing but kind of dumb. Did anyone pick up on that while his specialty was stealth, the two girls followed behind him all that time without him noticing (and therefore would be just as good at it as him?)

But... I'm not inclined to pull it apart on the first episode. I liked the character designs (if only because they're blatant rips of other character designs I liked, and doing something different these days (ie Sarai ya Goyou) tends to receive more criticism than praise so it's safer for companies to do the same thing unfortunately) and the animation was pretty good. I hope it maintains the visual budget, as for plot; well I didn't expect much going into it, just some fun and comedy. And that's what I got so I can't say I'm disappointed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:34 am Reply with quote
Anyway know if it was the opening or ending played at the end?

Because I'm finding the song catchy and it some how landed on repeat for me now Anime hyper

Also I just love the boxing gloves <3 neko neko knuckles, I kind of want a pair now.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
I kind of like this premise - young shy boy on the outside, strong/skilled/competent on the inside.

I hope they plan on getting rid of that personality of his really soon. It's extremely annoying if overdone. And they're overdoing it.

That narrator is absolutely unnecessary, and annoying. Talk about a bad choice for narrating. I mean, out of hundreds, they had to pick her. Roles like that are usually handed out to a seiyu whose voice is, well, not grating to the ear, right? Another annoying thing was the narrator talking at the same time as the characters. What the...

But I've enjoyed it, regardless. Taiga II is not as Taigaish as I had expected, and that's a good thing. Anyone else also thinking that they're not just trying to reach out to Toradora's audience, but also to Railgun's?

That mad scientist felt completely out of place. Like a cyclist on a motorway.

This show has CR written all over it. I doubt it will be any better than your average anime.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:38 am Reply with quote
I just watched the first episode of this and Amagami SS, and let me put it this way, the generic characters of Okami-san are light years ahead of those in Amagami SS. As for a first impression of Okami-san, I wasn’t particularly thrilled with any one aspect of show, but it did manage to squeeze a few laughs out of me. I agree with Skylark that the narrator was enjoyable and I didn't think she came across as annoying. I’ve always been fond of mediums with characters that interact with the narrator, so the comedy that ensued from those interactions was for the most part pleasing.

When I first read about this show the initial appeal was the parodying of fairy tales and it made a decent first impression in that regard. The whole spoof of spoiler[Cinderella was rather quirky and it succeeded in making me laugh a few times, particularly the ending scene with the girl kicking the “prince of tennis” with her lost shoe.]If the show doesn’t drift too far away from this concept then I will probably end up watching it till the end.
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:37 am Reply with quote
Mmmh... I could be in for the DFC tsundere. However, the male lead seriously annoys me, and the comedy falls flat ("he wasn't even complimenting her"? really?.. ha. ha. ha. that's not even true), and please someone shut the narrator up.
Meh, I'm usually more or less patient. If the next couple of episodes prove to be bad, I'll quietly drop it. But at least this isn't Kaempfer.
tankerboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:43 am Reply with quote
George Kaufman (famous comedic playwright) once said, "Satire is what closes on Saturday night." meaning it's usually not successful because few "get" it.

Of course the characters are stereotypes, they're supposed to be broad stereotypes, it's a satirical running gag. The brilliant part is they're all a bit skewed. The lead isn't just tsundere but instead she's a combination of Shana/Taiga and Hinagiku, the loli character is playing the part of the glasses girl, Morino is a typical "unlucky dude" except he has the skills, theoretically, of the Japanese equivalent of a Native American hunter from the 1800's and is the lead male.

I imagine that as time goes by the Ookami threads will break down into the same discussions as the Hayate ones had. Some will think it so stupid they'll feel compelled to post this opinion over and over again while others will think it's hilarious and ignore them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8