• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Adds Sakura no Ichiban, Pavane, Mr. Clean

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Not interested in any of those. Confused
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see something new from Koge Denbo..... can't wait to see more art for the other 2, could be something interesting. Mr.Clean looks to be from Hana to Yume.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Please tell me I wasn't the only one who thought of the cleaning product Mr. Clean when I saw the title.

I haven't heard of these, though I might check out Pavane and Sakura no Ichiban, depending if reviews and others report good writing and no obvious generic plotline or characters. Mr. Clean could be interesting, depending on how it tells the story. Either it'll play out exactly how everyone will predict or throw some nice curveballs.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:25 pm Reply with quote
YAAAAAAAAAAY!!! PAVANE FOR A DEAD GIRL!!! I love Koge-Donbo's newest work! I am sooooo gonna get it once it comes out!...if it comes right to New Jersey on the first day, that is. But YAY!!! Very Happy
ryusaki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Tokyopop...
What the heck happened to BECK?.. Sad
Genten

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
The only one I'm interested in is Pavane for a Dead Girl. I read a few chapters of it and was interested. I like Koge Donbo's artwork anyway.

Mr. Clean makes me think of Ultimate Mop Daisuke. It sounds like a shoujo though if it ran in Hana to Yume.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
ryusaki wrote:
Tokyopop...
What the heck happened to BECK?.. Sad

Kodansha pulled their licenses, I think because they were planning on launcging their own manga line at some point in the US, and decided not to renew their options. Basically, TP and others license in block of volumes for ongoing series, so they can only reprint/publish the volumes they had licensed [so they can reprint Love Attack Vol.1, which they did recently, but can't print Vol.6 until things change]

Some titles have been completed via Omnibuses from Del Rey [part of Random House, who have distributed Kodansha's editions of Akira and GITShell recently], namely Rave Master and Samurai Deeper Kyo. I'd suggest contacting them about more Beck volumes.

Before people go all dramarama- this is old, old news, and happened more than a year ago. Most of the series involved had been completed.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
Please tell me I wasn't the only one who thought of the cleaning product Mr. Clean when I saw the title.

I haven't heard of these, though I might check out Pavane and Sakura no Ichiban, depending if reviews and others report good writing and no obvious generic plotline or characters. Mr. Clean could be interesting, depending on how it tells the story. Either it'll play out exactly how everyone will predict or throw some nice curveballs.

No, you're not the only one [I thought for a sec TP was getting into some really wierd promotional OEL projects].

I checked Sakura no Ichiban on amazon.jp- http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4049261790/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_i1?pf_rd_m=AN1VRQENFRJN5&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1CCKZR7YS6TQQ5DV900B&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463376736&pf_rd_i=489986 Looks to have some period costumes look at the other vols I've seen, and dates from around 2001, so I'm guessing it ran before Chibi Vampire.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I don't have any particular interest in them, though I wouldn't mind checking them out should they pop up in my library, if/whenever that happens.

RestlessOne wrote:

No, you were not. Laughing
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Wait seriously, a Mr. Clean manga exists? Leave it to the Japan I suppose or just use Rule 34.

Sakura No Ichiban is okay, but didn't really interest me at all. Though seriously Mr. Clean?

This is oddly surprising that Japan did this though.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I might check out Sakura no Ichiban and Pavane. No idea what Mr. Clean is about, so I'll pass on that at least until I learn more about it.
lys

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
OHHHHHHHHHHHH they licensed Keppeki Shounen Kanzen Soubi (aka Mr. Clean)!!!!!! Wow, I never would have expected that! I... I read some scans of it once upon a time, but I'm so happy I'll have the opportunity to buy it in English! It's a really fun and funny (and just a little bizarre) series about a boy with an obsessive clean streak (to the point where he walks around in a... tarp/tent-on-wheels to prevent contamination), and how he gains friends and opens up to his classmates. And it's only two volumes, I believe. Anyone else who enjoys silly and fun Hana to Yume shoujo should check it out. I will!!

Also, I see (from ANN's full panel coverage) they mentioned the How to Draw Manga book out in December. That looks interesting as a translation of an actual Japanese how-to guide, so presumably the professional mangaka involved really know what they're talking about. I think it could be fun to read as an insight into how the creators of some of my favourite manga work, even if I'm not particularly interested in creating my own manga.
RiskyTheShinigami

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Huh, didn't see that one coming. I was in one of the groups scanlating Sakura no Ichiban, I thought it was pretty fun anyway. Figured it was too obscure to be licensed though.
monkeyshinobi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:26 am Reply with quote
hmm Pavane, that's good. The others...not interested
madnessmaka

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
Maybe I'll take a look at Sakura no Ichiban. Hope it's as funny and heartwarming as Karin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2