• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haruka animes are not connected to each other as should be

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:26 am Reply with quote
To whomever it may concern:

Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 3: Kurenai no Tsuki (special) and Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 3: Owari Naki Unmei (TV) should be probably related to Haruka -Beyond the Stream of Time- (manga) or at least to some earlier animes.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I reviewed the most recent list of "related anime" definitions (located here, after the expansion of the relationship options), and HaruToki is an interesting case.

Unfortunately, there's no video games in the encyclopedia, since the proper relationship chart would be:

Harukanaru Toki no Naka de (VG)
--Harukanaru Toki no Naka de (manga) [adaptation]
----Harukanaru Toki no Naka de ~Hachiyou Shou~ (TV) [adaptation]
------Harukanaru Toki no Naka de ~Mai Hitoyo~ (movie) [sequel]
------Harukanaru Toki no Naka de ~Hachiyou Shou~ (OAV) [side-story]
--Harukanaru Toki no Naka de ~Ajisai Yumegatari~ (OAV) [side-story]
--Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 2 (VG) [spin-off]
----Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 2 ~Shiroki Ryuu no Miko~ (OAV) [side-story]
--Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 3 (VG) [spin-off]
----Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 3 ~Unmei no Labyrinth~ (VG) [sequel]
----Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 3 (manga) [side-story] Not in the dictionary*
----Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 3 ~Kurenai no Tsuki~ (Special) [side-story]
----Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 3 ~Owari Naki Unmei~ (TV) [???]
--Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 4 (VG) [spin-off]

Without the games, though, there's no good way of connecting them.

Right now, the following relationships are in place (I've marked the ones that need to be changed/added):

HaruToki (manga)
--Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 2 ~Shiroki Ryuu no Miko~ (OAV) (adaptation) ERROR
Should be "related". The HaruToki 2 OAV is not directly related to the HaruToki manga. It's a spin-off of the second game, which in turn is a spin-off of the first game, which the manga is adapted from
--Harukanaru Toki no Naka de ~Ajisai Yumegatari~ (OAV) (adaptation) ERROR
Should be "related". The events of this OAV are not in the manga at all, and are a spin-off of the game that the manga is adapted from. If anything, list it as "spin-off", since it's a spin-off of the source material
--Harukanaru Toki no Naka de ~Hachiyou Shou~ (TV) PRECISION MISSING
Should be "adaptation". Hachiyou Shou includes manga-only scenes, and is more a manga adaptation than a game adaptation
----Harukanaru Toki no Naka de ~Hachiyou Shou~ (OAV) (sequel)
----Harukanaru Toki no Naka de ~Maihitoyo~ (movie) (sequel)
These two are correct as-is

HaruToki ~Ajisai Yumegatari~ (OAV)
[ adapted from Haruka -Beyond the Stream of Time- (manga) ] ERROR
The events of the OAV do not occur within the scope of the manga. It is a side-story to the game. This should be "related to"
--Harukanaru Toki no Naka de ~Hachiyou Shou~ (TV) PRECISION MISSING
Should be "related". It's an adaptation of the manga, not related to this OAV
----Harukanaru Toki no Naka de ~Hachiyou Shou~ (OAV) (sequel)
----Harukanaru Toki no Naka de ~Maihitoyo~ (movie) (sequel)
Again, these two are correct

HaruToki ~Mai Hitoyo~ (movie)
[ sequel of Harukanaru Toki no Naka de ~Hachiyou Shou~ (TV) ]
This is correct, but should anything else be added as "related"?

HaruToki ~Hachiyou Shou~ (TV)
[ related to Harukanaru Toki no Naka de ~Ajisai Yumegatari~ (OAV) ] ERROR
Hachiyou Shou is an adaptation of the manga (technically it's an adaptation of the game, but it uses manga-only storylines, and the sequel, Mai Hitoyo, is also taken directly from the manga. Ajisai Yumegatari should be listed below with the precision "related".
--Harukanaru Toki no Naka de ~Hachiyou Shou~ (OAV) (sequel)
--Harukanaru Toki no Naka de ~Maihitoyo~ (movie) (sequel)
Still correct

HaruToki ~Hachiyou Shou~ (OAV)
[ sequel of Harukanaru Toki no Naka de ~Hachiyou Shou~ (TV) ]
Correct, but as with the movie, should anything else be listed?

HaruToki 3 ~Kurenai no Tsuki~ (Special)
--Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 3: Owari Naki Unmei (TV) PRECISION MISSING
Unfortunately, I don't really know much about HaruToki 3, and I haven't seen the HaruToki 3 TV series at all, so I don't know what the precision should be. Also, should other titles be added as "related"?

HaruToki 3 ~Owari Naki Unmei~ (TV)
[ related to Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 3: Kurenai no Tsuki (special) ]
Correct as far as I know (see above), should more titles be added as "related"?

HaruToki 2 ~Shiroki Ryuu no Miko~ (OAV)
[ adapted from Haruka -Beyond the Stream of Time- (manga) ] ERROR
As I said above, the HaruToki 2 OAV is adapted from the HaruToki 2 game, not the HaruToki manga. Should be "related to". Also, adding more?

There are 8 titles (9 if you count the HaruToki 3 manga [see below]), how many titles are needed for an Omnibus? At this point, without the games, this is the only way that really makes sense that I can see to list them.

*Next time I go to Kinokuniya, I'll check again, but I think that they did do a separate volume for HaruToki 3's manga, which would qualify it for the encyclopedia, right? Previously, it was just gaiden printed in the back of the HaruToki manga volumes.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:51 am Reply with quote
Thanks; the thing is as complex as some science; had no idea about all of this stuff.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
HaruToki's one of my favorite series, so I try to keep track of everything, at least related to the original game. Still trying to track down volume 17 (in Japanese) of the manga, since that's the last one I need. And I'd brought it up before (in the relations thread), but it never got answered.

I did make a suggestion in the suggestions thread to include video games as "not anime but related" for situations like this (or like in .hack, where the games are part of the story).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote
To be clear:

The original TV series is adapted directly from the Manga, rather than from the game, and is a direct adaptation following the same story?
Is the Hachiyou Shou OVA a side story of the movie, or of the TV series?
The Ajisai Yumegatari is a side story of the TV series?

Since we don't have the game it is a side-story of, would it be fair to call Shiroki Ryuu no Miko a spinoff of the TV series since this is adapted from the same source material, and likewise for the HaruToki 3 tree?

It might be easier if you made another little diagram without including the games. I think if I tried unravelling it by following your red ERROR flags it would only make things worse since they are all inter-related, so it would be better to start off from the top of the tree and work down in order.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
The Hachiyou Shou TV series is technically an adaptation of the original game. But it uses manga-only storylines, so I'd list it as an adaptation of the manga.

The Mai Hitoyo movie and Hachiyou Shou OAV are a sequel and side-story, respectively, to the TV series (also, the movie adapts part of the manga, also not in the game, hence the TV series being adaptation of the manga).

The HaruToki 2 OAV is a side-story to the HaruToki 2 game, which has no relationship to the manga or HaruToki 1 animation other than same franchise (also, it and the Ajisai OAV came out before the Hachiyou Shou TV series). The same with the HaruToki 3 animations.

Without the games or an omnibus, the best we can do is "related" between the Harutoki 1/2/3 stuff.

Give me a bit, I'll make a visual diagram in photoshop. I suck at text diagrams (always have).
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Okay, does this work better? I blocked off the games (they're only included to show how the HT2 and HT3 stuff go separate from the HT1 stuff)

dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:09 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Okay, does this work better?

Wow, this is impressive, but could you explain a bit more about
1) "unofficial adaptation" (So the 2004 TV used manga's storyline? We might have to use another relationship marker...)
2) "side stories" you marked are not spinoffs, right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:46 am Reply with quote
*wonders if she's mentioned this is complicated?*

The Hachiyou Shou anime is officially an adaptation of the game. However, it has important elements to the story that are manga-only, and not in the game at all. Further, the sequel Mai Hitoyo uses story and characters who are also manga-only (IIRC, it's from volume 13 or 14... I'm too lazy to grab my volumes).

Basically, Tsunaki-san said "oh, the manga fleshes out the characters more, let's use stuff from that" while he was directing it. I wish I could remember more of what specifically was said at the US premiere.

Spin-offs are specifically for "same world, new characters/story", right? The OAVs are all "same world, same characters, story that doesn't exist in the source material." I don't know the HT2/3 stories, but I can definitely say that the Ajisai and Hachiyou OAVs are Gaiden/Omake to the story of HT1.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote
I believe that I've reorganized their relationships according to your diagram, Dessa. Thanks a lot. Smile

However, I found something suspicious in the progress: has Ajisai Yumegatari even been licensed in North America? That "Licensed by: Bandai Visual USA" tag sourced the TV edition instead of the OVA, and I couldn't find Ajisai Yumegatari in any major US distributor either, not to mention ANN never has its release info. Rolling Eyes
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote
The only pieces of Haruka that I know of to have ever been licensed are Hachiyou Shou (TV) [Licensed by Bandai Visual] and Haruka (manga) [Licensed by Viz].

I can't see any record of Ajisai being licensed on Wiki (bad source, I know) or Right Stuf or Amazon (being available for sale), but I'll ask on the Haruka LJ community, to confirm with other fans (I didn't get into the franchise until Hachiyou Shou (TV) was released).
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
The only pieces of Haruka that I know of to have ever been licensed are Hachiyou Shou (TV) [Licensed by Bandai Visual] and Haruka (manga) [Licensed by Viz].

That's what I've found as well.

Dessa wrote:
I can't see any record of Ajisai being licensed on Wiki (bad source, I know) or Right Stuf or Amazon (being available for sale), but I'll ask on the Haruka LJ community, to confirm with other fans (I didn't get into the franchise until Hachiyou Shou (TV) was released).

Thanks. Smile
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:29 am Reply with quote
I was having trouble visualizing the whole thing so I added an entry for the Harukanaru Toki no Naka de franchise. And actually this is something I've been thinking about for a while. It might be good to create a franchise (aka meta-anime aka omnibus) entry for everything that has more than two titles. I see two main benefits:
1) instead of displaying a maze of related anime for every title in the franchise, we could display the whole graph on the franchise page only;
2) greenlinks in articles could link to a more generic entry; e.g. we don't need to link to a specific series/movie when talking about "Pokemon" in general.

Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:21 am Reply with quote
Sounds okay to me.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Dan, this looks awesome!

And yeah, the Franchise entries sounds like a good idea to me. Although, would it include entries such as-- nevermind, all the examples I can think of (Dragonball, Sailor Moon, etc) all have "extras" besides straight "manga > adaptation > sequel" lists.

Should we start a thread where we can list what we think needs a Franchise entry?

[edit]
Oh, yeah, and since it probably should be clarified: What is the difference (if there is one) between a Franchise and an Omnibus?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3