• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Kazan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northlander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I think the worst thing I can say about this one is that it's really, really corny at times (mostly through the dialogue, and mostly near the end.) Other than that, it's smooth sailing.

I wonder... is the full story about Gaku Miyao and his father included in the Ebook version?
Losstarot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow ... it's a surprise to see Kazan mentioned. For some reason the library I worked at during high school had several volumes, and I took to reading them during breaks. I thought it was pretty good so over the next couple years I bought the rest of them.

A couple things about Kazan are attractive to me. One is how he's totally devoted to finding Elsie (I'm kind of a sucker for that sort of thing), and the other is his utilitarian knife-and-rope fighting style. It's nice to read something and feel like the creator had at least a general feel for combat. Also, Kazan is an interesting character, and after a couple flashbacks it's easy to want to pull for him.

Last edited by Losstarot on Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I've always wanted to read Kazan ever since I saw a cover shot of it years ago. Good to hear that it's a quality manga and that it was fully released over here, unlike fellow ComicsOne title Sarai.

I'll have to look into getting Kazan now sooner ot later... I can only go so far and last so long with "reading" (i.e. attempting to read while looking at the purty pictures) the raw tankoubans I have for certain titles, though Ring ni Kakero 2 is thankfully easy to get into, even without a translation available. Still, I need translated manga to read!
Treetastic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Actually, it seems kind of like if Studio Ghibli did King of Bandit Jing. Which is to say, interesting. I'm interested.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Treetastic wrote:
Actually, it seems kind of like if Studio Ghibli did King of Bandit Jing. Which is to say, interesting. I'm interested.

Good comparison, but it's not nearly as bonkers as King of Bandit Jing. Smile It's more like the world's best Nausicaa dojinshi.
AnnoyedWabbit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I read Kazan years ago, since my local library happened to have it. My siblings and I (not to mention my father) all quite enjoyed it - save for the crucial typo in the last line. Argh.

I suppose I should pick up the set that's been languishing in the used bookstore I go to. Of course, having said that, the next time I go in it will be gone.
streexanime

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
First manga series I ever read that wasn't Sailor Moon or Ono's Pikachu manga. I just loved Fawna's personality. She never gave up.

It's one of the few from my early days of manga reading that is still in my collection. Rather nice to see it get some recognition on here.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
This looks like it would be a great read. A shame about the quality though, but I guess it's best to take what you can get these days. Being picky isn't a good idea in these times.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
A little off topic but:
Quote:
ComicsOne mixed art from different manga together in their ads, which is a definite no-no with bigger, more corporate control-freak manga publishers like Shogakukan and Shueisha. (That's why you'll never see Luffy and Naruto, let alone Luffy and Conan, giving each other bro grabs and pimping each others' books.)

I'm pretty sure I remember ads in the back of some Viz manga where you had Luffy, Light, Naruto, and Bleach all promoting Shonen Jump, would that be allowed since it's for the magazine or would the editors in Japan have a heart attack if they ever found out?

Anyway, again it's a manga I've never heard of and now I'm curious about it, guess if I ever get an e-reader I should look this up (and hope that I can tidy it up in photoshop too).
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
ComicsOne mixed art from different manga together in their ads, which is a definite no-no with bigger, more corporate control-freak manga publishers like Shogakukan and Shueisha. (That's why you'll never see Luffy and Naruto, let alone Luffy and Conan, giving each other bro grabs and pimping each others' books.)

I'm pretty sure I remember ads in the back of some Viz manga where you had Luffy, Light, Naruto, and Bleach all promoting Shonen Jump, would that be allowed since it's for the magazine or would the editors in Japan have a heart attack if they ever found out?

I think he meant manga characters published by Shueisha and Shogakukan. Shone Jump is published by Shueisha, they feature several Shonen Jump characters together. Jason means putting characters like say Luffy (Shueisha) and Conan (Shogagkukan) in a picture together, or say Naruto (Shueisha) and Ranma (Shogagkukan).
ptolemy18

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think he meant manga characters published by Shueisha and Shogakukan. Shone Jump is published by Shueisha, they feature several Shonen Jump characters together. Jason means putting characters like say Luffy (Shueisha) and Conan (Shogagkukan) in a picture together, or say Naruto (Shueisha) and Ranma (Shogagkukan).

That's basically what I meant -- sorry for the confusion! But even when you're mixing together characters that are both from the same publisher, they're usually pretty strict about how they can be mixed, where the images overlap, etc. In some of the ComicsOne house ads, characters from "Sarai," "Joan" and "Kazan" are mixed together way more closely than you'd see in any Shonen Jump advertisements.

Oddly, I think the covers of the Japanese Shonen Jump are able to get away with more than the American Shonen Jump can, in terms of having a bunch of little Jump characters from different manga all chilling on the same page.
ptolemy18

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
This looks like it would be a great read. A shame about the quality though, but I guess it's best to take what you can get these days. Being picky isn't a good idea in these times.

The images in the article are from the ebook edition. The printed book editions are of decent quality, although not the highest.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious where the PDF's are available now, as ComicsOne's site has long been closed- perhaps I'm looking at the wrong spot on Dr.Masters's site?

Some volumes are for sale on lulu.com but I'm not 100% sure if they're legit, though ComicsOne is credited on their webpage, so probably- they sell for the same 2.95 as CO's original edition did. They have some of ComicsOne's other PDF comics listed as well. I'm guessing Jason would have a better idea.
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
"Kazan" is also, note, a historically-important city in russia, in tartarstan. [and temushin is probably a ghengis khan reference].

I haven't even heard of this one, unusually. It sounds interesting; ComicsOne did put out a lot of unusual stuff.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:13 am Reply with quote
Been meaning to get this.

Gaku Miyao's Devil Hunter Yohko manga is okay; wonder why ADV never licensed it. Then again their manga division wasn't their strong point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2