• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z Kai Premieres on Toonzai on Saturday

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:31 am Reply with quote
Wow, I can actually catch this on TV. Nice.
dark_serenity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:59 am Reply with quote
I approve ^^
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
It felt kind of weird honestly, especially when they promoted Dragonball Z Kai by showing clips of Bubbles during supposedly dramatic moments. And the whole "ninja to promote the logo" thing felt kinda cliche to me. Hmm, maybe I've outgrown the whole saturday morning action cartoon vibe and I was hoping more of something along the lines of a Toonami vibe.

That being said, if say I was still in my preteens where I would get up first thing on a Saturday morning with a bowl of cereal and then I see this, I can totally imagine getting behind this. With not just Dragonball Z Kai, but also Sonic X, Yugioh 5Ds, Dinosaur King, TMNT, and even Cubix (god how, long has it been since that show aired), I can imagine this being a definitive programming block to watch anime and such for the youngest viewers on television.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't care if it's edited, and if they have to take out stuff and use dialogue like "destroy" , I'm still watching this show.
chickajackeen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
You know what I'd like to see again is Eon Kid, I don't believe they ever finished that series and they were so close. I agree with Hypeathon, it's been ages since Cubix and would like to see it again.

I hate to be a poop in the mud but I'm so over TMNT, I wish they'd just go away and make room for something else.

Are any of these episodes of Toonzai 'new'?
AnimeJames

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see 4K/CW doing this, and it is interesting that they're bringing back Cubix, but aside from their Dinosaur King, it's loaded with reruns, and 3 of them for 1 hour, not much of a change in rebranding, unless I'm totally missing something

Edit: Okay, I watched their Toonzai preview and they had Dinosaur King said as season finale, but didn't know they just resaid that, noticed it aired in 2009, so yep, looks like for the most part, DBZKai will be the "only" premier in the whole block

Last edited by AnimeJames on Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Its ironic that 4Kids picks up a new show and technically its still reruns.

I hope 4kids is able to recover though, I still like Saturday morning cartoons, and it shouldn't be limited to just Cartoon Network, Nick, and Disney. Network TV has room for a slot.

To the post above, most of the shows are still old. TMNT is also going to Nickelodeon this Fall. That is, unless 4kids worked out a deal with them.

It's also shameful that 4kids couldn't think of anything better than a stereotypical ninja and "east asian" exclamations. They could have done better than that.
AnimeJames

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:47 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Gasero"] To the post above, most of the shows are still old. TMNT is also going to Nickelodeon this Fall. That is, unless 4kids worked out a deal with them.

True true!

I don't recall ever watching FOXBOX, 4kids TV or any other version on the channel for it's Saturday morning toons, but I still enjoy finding out what the lineups are -- I did learn of TMNT going to Nick when the 1st announcement of it came (last OCT?), but it did slip my mind for a second, but let's just say there's no deal for Nick + CW to do it together, then I really hope CW/4K has a good plan up their sleeve, at most, they can just play all 4 of their shows for an hour, just that for DBZKai, play the previous week's episode then the new one ~ or something
darksharingan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I think if people complain about this, it just shows how ignorant the anime fan base is becoming. Yes it will be edited, yes some words may be changed, but keep 2 things in mind.

1- 4Kids is REBRANDING, which involves changing or adding their target audience, so it may not be as bad as people think it is. They can't do another One Piece or they'll really lose money

2- Suppose it still gets horrible treatment, in which case you usually just buy the dvd's, DBZK is not for kids anyway, so they want to make it watchable for them and that alone can help the anime industry because if kids start watching anime now, they will grow up to be fans and they will keep anime going while us older fans get married, have jobs, have kids, all of which will put a dent on our expenses and we won't be able to buy much anime and manga, unless by luck oyou get filthy rich.
robo-ky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
maybe it's just me but i liked how nicktoons handled it, at least they played 5 eps a week. i can't remember exactly where they stopped it was somewhere around goku vs ginyu, so now going from 5 eps a week to only 1 is kinda meh dissapointing, but hey anime on tv FTW!
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Is 4Kids gonna edit it anyway, even though Nicktoons didn't?
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, I'm very happy about this. It feels like we're getting a small spark of what made the original Toonami so great. These are quality
kids' shows (except for Dragon Ball, which I think transcends kiddy
material into broader appeal), and I think if this is a well implemented
programming block, we may very see another generation of anime
fans raised. Which, as a convert of the last anime generation (started with "Outlaw Star" when I was seven and haven't looked back), makes
me sosoSO happy.

Oh, and I noticed a post on here about Nicktoons not editing Kai. Which is understandable. But actually, there were some edits (less blood, and alcohol being made to look like foamy water) in the Nicktoons airing. They weren't blatant and complaint-worthy, but they were there. No big though Smile
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Kids are lucky if they'll just be getting into DBZ like this. Kai has an actually decent English dub and a much better pacing than DBZ proper.

It'll be interesting to see if this is an edited version of an edited version of an edited show, though. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Pal0ma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
chickajackeen wrote:
You know what I'd like to see again is Eon Kid, I don't believe they ever finished that series and they were so close. I agree with Hypeathon, it's been ages since Cubix and would like to see it again.

I hate to be a poop in the mud but I'm so over TMNT, I wish they'd just go away and make room for something else.

Are any of these episodes of Toonzai 'new'?

Anime exclamation
Agreed, agreed, agreed! I'd love to see Eon Kid/Iron Kid get a whole showing, it was interesting and a little different style which was interesting on Saturday morning TV.

As for TMNT, I'm fairly ancient and it feels like they've been around a long time, in one form or another. I'm surely biased, because I never really liked 'em much in the first place, but I'd be thrilled if they'd take a long holiday and get a fresher replacement.

We live out in the boonies and I'd rather spend my money on my anime, manga and J-music fixes than giving it to Dish or DirecTV when I'd only watch a few channels anyway. So it's very good to see something worth watching (sub-lover that I am aside) coming at least once a week.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Another great show about to be ruined by 4kids. Akira Toriyama, you have my deepest sympathizes.

Seriously 4kids, why must you ruin Shonen shows. Wasn't Shaman King and One Piece enough?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4