• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Q] Creative Episode Markers

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:52 am Reply with quote
I was reading this thread regarding Sekirei, and it did bring up an issue that covers more than just one series: What if a series uses something other than "Episode 1, Episode 2" to define their episodes?

Sekirei apparently uses "Feather". 07-Ghost uses "Kapitel" (German for Chapter). Knight Hunters Eternity uses "Mission" (with the final episode being "Last Mission", as opposed to "Mission 13"). Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon uses "Act". Uraboku uses "Story".

On the one hand, these are used on-screen as part of the title card. On the other, it is the equivalent of "Episode __".

Should these be entered as part of the episode title, or would it be better to list them as trivia?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Neither, I would say. This is simply idiosyncratic usage for "episode", and should be read as such. If you really want to, you could add a trivia note on it, but even that seems a bit unnecessary.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:22 am Reply with quote
I see the argument for noting that information somewhere, but I certainly don't want those fancy qualifiers to increase the clutter in the episode list. So... yeah, I guess the trivia section is as good as any to write down this kind of factoid.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:16 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
I see the argument for noting that information somewhere, but I certainly don't want those fancy qualifiers to increase the clutter in the episode list. So... yeah, I guess the trivia section is as good as any to write down this kind of factoid.

This sounds as if it should be added to the FAQ.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1