• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Daily Video: Touhou 'Bad Apple' Video Collection

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote
"Bad Apple!!" is from Lotus Land Story, not Perfect cherry Blossom
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
If there's one segment of the Japanese otaku that seriously impresses and intrigues me the most, it's the Touhou fandom. My GOD, the fact they churn out these fan-animated videos along with lots of doujin manga, music, video game spin-offs, really professionally-looking anime sequences, the dedication for ZUN's shumps is ridiculously high. Imagine if ZUN allowed for a professional anime studio to do a real Touhou anime TV series! Cool

It's hard to imagine other anime fandoms even in the U.S. that could match that level of dedication.
gapgapgap

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A dōjin recording studio

Circle. CIRCLE.
Quote:
May 2008

Lovelight was released on May 20th, 2007, at Reitaisai 4

Secondary faggotry. Secondary faggotry everywhere. fudge the person who wrote this article.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:04 am Reply with quote
gapgapgap wrote:
Quote:
A dōjin recording studio

Circle. CIRCLE.
Quote:
May 2008

Secondary faggotry. Secondary faggotry everywhere. fudge the person who wrote this article.

Not too bad with the date for the arrange it's not on their own site, so not too easy to check .
At least it's secondary faggotry that acknowleges the existence of the PC98. That's better than the lot that won't accept the actual characters as they are in game+ official print works as canon.
Kouta6769

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:00 am Reply with quote
This truly is, above & beyond!
Pelianth
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:25 am Reply with quote
gapgapgap wrote:
Quote:
A dōjin recording studio

Circle. CIRCLE.
Quote:
May 2008

It's also on Exserens which was released in May of '08, which is likely where they got their release info from.

(And if we want to get really anal, it's not a "remix", that implies usage of the sound tracks from the original version of the piece. It's an arrangement.)
Whoomp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:39 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
If there's one segment of the Japanese otaku that seriously impresses and intrigues me the most, it's the Touhou fandom. My GOD, the fact they churn out these fan-animated videos along with lots of doujin manga, music, video game spin-offs, really professionally-looking anime sequences, the dedication for ZUN's shumps is ridiculously high. Imagine if ZUN allowed for a professional anime studio to do a real Touhou anime TV series! Cool

It's hard to imagine other anime fandoms even in the U.S. that could match that level of dedication.

Yeah, the Touhou fans sure are something else. It's incredible how just one doujin-franchise can inspire so much other doujin-material which often keeps a ridiculously high quality. Though, perhaps that it it, the non lingering threat of copyright law-suits probably helps a lot. I also have to thank this fandom, without it (and more specifically Bad Apple) I would never have known of the games.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:58 am Reply with quote
'Bad Apple' is about the extent of my interest in Touhou, but I'm hopelessly addicted to the video. I've watched it a few dozen times and never get tired of it. I have to wonder though, who's fanbase is more rabid: Touhou or Vocaloid? They seem to be pretty near equal to me.

BTW, I'm really digging the Cristina Vee dub of the song.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:20 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
BTW, I'm really digging the Cristina Vee dub of the song.

Oh, my, I hadn't seen that version before. It's actually pretty good.

Yeah, this is one of the very few online videos that I periodically rewatch. The song is just so catchy and the level of technical achievement on it - especially for it being an amateur project! - is so amazing. I'd rank it with the absolute best AMVs out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zerreth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:57 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

I referred my friend who's majoring in animation the touhou kinemakan, and his final conclusion was that the main difference between this group and proffesional anime studios is that studios produce the same material faster. In terms of use of CG, and other animation techniques, it's more or less the same.

That said, high ranked MADs in niconico douga are quite frightening (in the sense that there's such great talent just floating around).
Like this lucky star/haruhi parody

or that MAD where suigintou from rozen maiden replaces shinji in the first episode of evangelion....
Rednal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

ZUN has stated *very* explicitly that he doesn't want an official anime to be made; as I recall, anime is usually considered the end-point of a series, and he seems to want to keep making stuff. Of course, there are the official manga series (Wild and Horned Hermit is the current one, I believe), and a whole lot of Doujinshi.

On the other hand, he was recently rated as the 78th most influential person in Japan. o.O Touhou, far from being a tiny little thing over there, is huge in ways we can barely comprehend. The nature of the copyright on Touhou probably has something to do with that, but the fantastic music doesn't really hurt... We need more Touhou stuff here on ANN.

((For those who don't know, ZUN is extremely relaxed about copyrights; as long as you note that it's a fanwork, you can do just about anything you want with Touhou))
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Rednal wrote:
((For those who don't know, ZUN is extremely relaxed about copyrights; as long as you note that it's a fanwork, you can do just about anything you want with Touhou))

I like that man more and more. Very Happy I guess that's probably one of the reasons the fans have run so far with their creations.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Rednal wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

ZUN has stated *very* explicitly that he doesn't want an official anime to be made; as I recall, anime is usually considered the end-point of a series, and he seems to want to keep making stuff. Of course, there are the official manga series (Wild and Horned Hermit is the current one, I believe), and a whole lot of Doujinshi.

I can see where he's going at about getting an anime adaptation acts like an endpoint of the series It pretty hard to even talk about a series once the anime run is over. I also figured because of the bare-bones characterizations of the Touhou girls, obviously it led to so many interpretations created by fans about their storyline and their relationships with each other. I would imagine an onslaught of fan bickering among each other whether which interpretation is canon if an anime TV series came about.
Chunx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Rednal wrote:

Quote:
On the other hand, he was recently rated as the 78th most influential person in Japan. o.O

Not to doubt your words, sir. But being a recent fan to Zun's work, I'd like to see those ratings for myself! Anime hyper
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Jeesus Criminy!!! My gawd, talk about devotion. The stop motion segments were amazing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2