• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A request to have ads removed from previews.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:21 am Reply with quote
When shopping for anime, I'll often have ANN open in a separate tab, ready to use its Encyclopedia reference to determine my purchases.

In some cases, when there's not enough information for me to make a decision (make or break case), I'll preview the series, which is a feature not every online retailer supports.

I was a bit surprised to be greeted with an unskippable ad on the preview, which was time I was not willing to waste to view. I shut the preview down instead.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't the preview be considered the ad given its purpose is to educate on a potential purchase/viewing?

I would appreciate it greatly if these ads can be removed from previews.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:48 am Reply with quote
We're not paid to put the trailers up, so we don't consider them ads.

Video is much more expensive to serve than the regular content, so we decided, and made it clear, the day we launched the current subscriptions that they didn't cover video.

That said, I definitely understand that it's frustrating to watch an ad before every trailer.

That said, I'll discuss it with Justin to see if there's anything we can do without losing a ton of money on every trailer view.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1