• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: MangaGamer Announces Da Capo 2 Release

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote
It's nice to see mangaGamer working hard to bring these visual novel game to US even if they are 18+.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I've been thinking of getting into adult renai games. And MangaGamer seems like a great outlet to get into it. I sure spent a LOT of time at their booths, hanging out and talking to their staff at AX. I feel like I should contribute something to their business as they do seem to work hard and know what they are doing.

Unfortunately I only play RPG and Strategy video games. And if I were to play eroge (doesn't need to be RPG themed), the typical male-getting-the-girl type romance does not interest me. So does anyone else have input on what they thought of this company and have they expanded into territory thats a twist from the usual formula I described above?
dan888

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I've been thinking of getting into adult renai games. And MangaGamer seems like a great outlet to get into it. I sure spent a LOT of time at their booths, hanging out and talking to their staff at AX. I feel like I should contribute something to their business as they do seem to work hard and know what they are doing.

Unfortunately I only play RPG and Strategy video games. And if I were to play eroge (doesn't need to be RPG themed), the typical male-getting-the-girl type romance does not interest me. So does anyone else have input on what they thought of this company and have they expanded into territory thats a twist from the usual formula I described above?

They do have Koihime coming out at the end of next month, which will have gameplay. Before then though, they do have a trial on their website right now.

As to stuff MangaGamer has out now, there is Higurashi, which is all ages, and isn't a romance story at all and does not follow such a story plot line. This is a set of story arcs that are horror/mystery once they get going, with light hearted comedy thrown in before that point. For eroge, KiraKira is probably your best bet, the plot deals with a group putting a band together, with a great set of characters and good story. This is one of the best eroge available in English commercially and they have a nice demo on their website, so I would suggest giving at least the demo a try.
kouryuu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:

He already mentioned Higurashi, but to second dan there, yeah, if you haven't already tried it, Kira Kira is a great story with which to try Visual Novels. It's available in all-ages form on the website and on the iPhone too if you're not a fan of adult content. You can find a review for Kira Kira on JTOR

If you don't mind some adult content, Soul Link(Link obviously NSFW) is much more action/suspense than romance.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:43 am Reply with quote
Thanks you two. Actually whether it's adult or not isn't a big factor to me. Kira Kira looks interesting though. What I meant by typical formula is that MangaGamer seems to only cater to customers with that interest and a very specific set of genres. The kind of expansion into new territory I'd like to see would be other genres. So right now they have nothing that fits that sort of variation, but that's fine if they are successful and good at what they do with the type of games they release. I just bought a visual novel tonight, but it wasn't from MangaGamer or Circle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1