• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 10 Tearjerkers That'll Empty the Tissue Box

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Funny how I had JUST watched that episode of Sailor Moon last night. Though I watched the English version so I just- I couldn't- I wasn't acting serious at all llol.
victor viper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
5. Misuzu Reaches Her Goal (Air) I've only selected one Key series for this list and it was a difficult choice to make.

There's no questioning what a sad scene this is, but it might not be the most gutwrenching moment in the show. I would say that honor goes to the final scene between Minagi and Michiru. spoiler[When the two of them say farewell to one another right before Michiru vanishes, it's done in such a heartfelt and believable manner], that I can't help but to bawl my eyes out every single time.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Good list! I've definitely shed a tear during a lot of the ones listed (especially Sara and Setsuko's). A few honorable mentions that I would add are...

* Goku and Sazno at the gate in Saiyuki Gaiden
* The final episode of Texhnolyze
* spoiler[When Rakka says she will become Reki's crow] in Haibane Renmei
* A certain spoiler[death] in Nana
* Norkio and Kazumi's choice at the end of Gunbuster

* In Hikaru no Go when spoiler[Sai and Hikaru play their final game of go ]

I swear every other episode of Natsume's Book of Friends makes me cry too. I don't know if it would qualify as an honorable mention, but something about the show gets me every time, dagnabbit.

Added: I also loved seeing Ookiku get 14% of the votes. Maybe there's enough interest for there to be a bare bones sub only release of season 2?[/spoiler]

Last edited by here-and-faraway on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
About the new poll: My number one Alice was Alice Carroll from Aria; She's so Alice that there is no second pick.

The List had a number of my tearjerkers like Air, SaiKano and, yes, that episode of Sailor Moon but where's Wolf's Rain? The last four episodes will clear out four tissue boxes.

Quote:

There's no questioning what a sad scene this is, but it might not be the most gutwrenching moment in the show. I would say that honor goes to the final scene between Minagi and Michiru.

That was pretty well done as well. And for tears of a different sort, I'd pick the end of episode 11. Of course, it just makes 12 all the more painful...
Kohii

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't count Menma's death as a sad moment, mainly because spoiler[it wasn't really shown]. It was sadder watching her friends dealing with her death later on. Now, when spoiler[ Menma's spirit passed on at the end ], now that was the saddest moment of the show for me.
CatoriStar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:

* A certain spoiler[death] in Nana

I couldn't agree with you more! I'm not much of a crier... except watching The Lovely Bones, but Ai Yazawa really knows how to throw some emotional punches. I got pretty choked up too when Nana broke both her and Hachi's glasses. It was like this overwhelming feeling that their friendship was doomed. Sad
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I might cry too easily, but I thought Rumbling Hearts had quite the tearjerker when spoiler[Haruka said "goodbye."]
GDFan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Sara from Now and Then, Here and There on the list. Her ordeal was the only reason I was interested in finishing the series.

Animegomaniac wrote:
About the new poll: My number one Alice was Alice Carroll from Aria; She's so Alice that there is no second pick.

Agreed. She was the first character I thought of, and I'm obviously not the only one.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Nephrite's and Misuzu's deaths, the tears man, the tears! It doesn't help that Misuzu's death reminds me of Tomoko Kawakami's passing. T__T

For me, one tearjerker that I can never forget is the ending to Dragon Century when spoiler[Rulishia calls out to Carmine by his real name as he and the other dragons fly off to battle the demons]. The ending music drove the point home.

Last edited by belvadeer on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see the correct scene get picked from Key's stuff. That scene was definitely a tearjerker, and the beautiful insert song Aozora being sung by Lia increases the impact immensely. It's too bad that was the last time Jun Maeda actually wrote a decent ending.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The series might be nigh impossible to watch if lead character Shuji wasn't the optimistic beacon in the war-torn Hellywood.

Hah, hardly. In fact, Shuji made the series incredibly difficult to watch and stay interested in. Kept waiting for him to step on a landmine or something, just to shut him up.

And yes, Alice Carroll is the best Alice.
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I would like to nominate Clannad/Clannad After Story.

I've watched most of the anime that was listed, but no scene there could even compare to the scenes in Clannad. Anime cry
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Quote:
The series might be nigh impossible to watch if lead character Shuji wasn't the optimistic beacon in the war-torn Hellywood.

Hah, hardly. In fact, Shuji made the series incredibly difficult to watch and stay interested in..

Shuzo. Shuzo Matsutani. Or Shu. Shuji is from Saikano.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone else seeing Alice Gehabich on the poll twice?
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
Quote:

Hah, hardly. In fact, Shuji made the series incredibly difficult to watch and stay interested in..

Shuzo. Shuzo Matsutani. Or Shu. Shuji is from Saikano.

Right you are, I have different names for the guy that aren't fit for the forums, so I blanked a bit on the name other people called him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10