• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Nura of the Dead

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:11 am Reply with quote
I have Knights! I picked it up on a whim along with some Higurashi titles. Haven't read it yet, been meaning to.
swienke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:03 am Reply with quote
Well Carlo, all I'll say about Nura is give it a chance. The first 20 or so chapters are definitely the weakest parts of the series, but beyond that it improves by leaps and bounds. I honestly consider it one of my favorite series now, because it really does turn into a confident, fun, and stylish shonen series that can easily stand with the Big 3.

As for Pandora Hearts, I'm a little surprised with the grade. Yeah, there's a lot of confusing stuff going on, but I thought the mangaka did a great job of making it the kind of confusion that serves to draw you into the story even further, instead of pushing you away. I also love the character designs, and I don't really see anything derivative about them, but admittedly I haven't read anywhere near as much manga as you have, so my opinion may be unreliable in that regard.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
Well, about Pandora Hearts. Why did Alice erase her memories? Which characters are connected to the tragedy of Sabrie? And who is Jack exactly? Don’t worry, all these questions are answered in volume 5, not that volume 5 doesn’t raise a new important question, but these questions are answered. So, yes it makes sense. I agree that storytelling is a bit lacking in the first volumes, but it’s just Jun Mochizuki’s second manga. The previous one is only one volume manga.

There will be some explanations in the future volumes, but not everything is explained, for example, one thing that is shown in the volume 5 is still not explained, however, it’s exciting to think about all the possibilities about a vague spoiler spoiler[who is the murderer]?
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:42 pm Reply with quote
What? WHAT? Knights volume 2?!

I thought the day would never come. Lack of slipcover be damned, I'm going down to Kinokuniya this afternoon, hopefully it'll be there.

As far as Highschool of the Dead goes, I wonder if I'm going to have to pick up the manga once the English release gets to the point of surpassing the anime's end... or will season two be incoming by then?

I guess I may as well wait. Kaiji S2 materialized eventually, so I imagine HOTD will.

The Oreimo review was interesting. I can't say I'm surprised that source material translates better to the screen than to graphic novels.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I read the preview of Nura in Shonen Jump and skimmed through a bit of what they had on the website. Ugh, what a nightmare! Such hideously cluttered artwork. Glad they decided to go with Psyren for the magazine instead of Nura. Not that Psyren is amazing so far, but I found it much more readable.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:09 pm Reply with quote
While I am sad to see Pandora Hearts get a not-so-great review here, didn't one of the previous volumes get a bad review here as well? (And if that was one of the other manga reviews on ANN I'm sorry for the mix-up). The first time I read it I never felt horribly confused or like the story wasn't explaining everything at all (although I'm a CLAMP fan so clearly my tolerance for not explaining stuff is pretty high). Having re-watched the anime recently I'll be the first to say that the first arc wasn't a really strong one but by this point the story really is starting to explain the first layers of the mystery so you're past the worst of it.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Smells like bad spirits this week

Bleach reference?! \Anime smile/

Aylinn wrote:
Don’t worry, all these questions are answered in volume 5

Awesome! I watched the anime (which does cover volume 5 right?) but I can't really remember what the answers were >.< I think Pandora Hearts does a good job with being mysterious yet giving enough clues and reveals to keep the reader interested.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
ss-hikaru wrote:

Awesome! I watched the anime (which does cover volume 5 right?) but I can't really remember what the answers were.

Yep, the series covers at least through volume seven, maybe half of volume eight as well, volume four of the manga should be mid-way through the Cheshire Cat arc which was about the halfway point of the anime too.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Rather harsh ratings.
I really liked the yokai in Nura. The lead being annoying as hell in human form is detracting, but the demons alone make this at least a C+ for me.
Is that first bit the original story?
I saw this one in Shonen Jump (Japanese, not US version) a year or so ago & researching it, I read the title originally launched as a stand alone tale & then launched as a series. I suspected from the age dif that first chapter might have been the stand alone.

Pandora I've always placed lower than Black Butler, but it's usually in the mid or low B range for my money. It's always been more style than substance, but the style notches it up pretty high. It looks nice. Artbook nice
nottimkai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Okay. Right.

Seriously.

Am I the only one who noticed that gun nut Kouta Hirano is in all likelihood ripped directly from an amalgamation of stuff related to author Kouta Hirano of Hellsing fame?

Same name, character designs are similar to things that have been drawn in Hellsing (like a combination of the major and alucard, almost), very Hellsing-y (demented) action shots ...

I'm not complaining, I think it is cute, but it bothers me that no one else has mentioned this.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:02 am Reply with quote
I think I saw somewhere that the mangaka of HotD acknowledged that Kouta Hirano is intended as an homage, rather than a "rip-off".
nottimkai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:01 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I think I saw somewhere that the mangaka of HotD acknowledged that Kouta Hirano is intended as an homage, rather than a "rip-off".

THAT was the word I was looking for. Rip off has negative connotations that I wasn't trying to use.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:27 am Reply with quote
ss-hikaru wrote:
Quote:
Smells like bad spirits this week

Bleach reference?! \Anime smile/

Or Nirvana. Laughing
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:46 am Reply with quote
Well, Nurarihyon is definitely classice Shounen Jump in the sense that it starts out slowly if not weak but improves considerably as it goes along. It's still not the best manga out there, but it's a good one, much as it starts out fairly weakly. I'm very glad that it's be licensed, and I can't wait for my copy of volume 1 to arrive.

As for Pandora Hearts, well I think that that series is outright fantastic. I really have nothing negative to say about it. But obviously Carlo doesn't feel the same. If there's any problem with Pandora Hearts IMHO, it's that the volumes don't come out faster...

Well, at least we're getting it. It's great stuff.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:46 am Reply with quote
ss-hikaru wrote:

Awesome! I watched the anime (which does cover volume 5 right?)

Yes, volume 5 covers the later part of Cheshire Cat arc, where Jack gives some information about the tragedy of Sabrie and in this volume he also makes a speech in which he explains this and that. As wandering-dreamer wrote, the anime covers through volume seven and two chapters of volume eight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2