• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyopop Indicates Possibility of Novels on E-Readers

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Maybe if they didn't let DJ Milky run amok with the company credit card, perhaps they could spend that money on things like...oh, I dunno, ADVERTISING?
Lyrai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Maybe if they didn't let DJ Milky run amok with the company credit card, perhaps they could spend that money on things like...oh, I dunno, ADVERTISING?
\

Maybe if the first time he tried to push a terrible idea (Like Princess Ai and all the other shit around that time period), someone swatted him with a rolled up newspaper and told him NO. BAD, Tokyopop would be in a lot better shape nowadays.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
As much as I'm sure people like the idea of more light novels on e-readers, I would hate it very much if they would resort to just this. I honestly am against e-readers, being one that prefer to have a book over a digital copy, and would hate it that the only way for me to complete a series like Full Metal Panic! would be either through illegal fan-translations or by wasting my money on an e-reader that I'd only use to read the series.

However, I'd like to think that FMP! will be a great seller for them, especially since the fourth/fifth novel/s have been highly anticipated for years now and I'm pretty sure the sales for it will be high. It'd be nice for someone from Tokyopop to come on for an ANNCast sometime after the release to discuss these issues.
decepticons2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I think for something like this they need to consider release in a batch format with some sort of guarantee the rest will be available digitally or in book format.

I went online to finally buy this when i had heard last volume had been out for awhile. Even broke out my old DVDs. But when i saw how sporadic releases were "I said screw it." I am not going to invest in a few books only to be left hanging. I know its a business, but light novel fans seem to get short end of the stick.
Razzuel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I have all the Full Metal Panic novels Tokyopop has released so far, and I have the fourth novel on order, so I've done my part, haha.

Also, I agree with Aura; I would hate it if they only released light novels on e-readers. I very much like to read tangible books, and I don't want to have to read digital books on computer screens.
Juhachi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
or by wasting my money on an e-reader that I'd only use to read the series.

Well, it's not like you couldn't just read it on your computer.

That said, I'd say I'd welcome more electronic translations of novels if it meant getting more titles and getting exiting titles out faster (as you don't have to wait for them to print or deliver them). Still, I would prefer having the book in my hand, but if I have to sacrifice paper for more content, then that's just what I'll do. There's loads of light novels I've always wanted to read, such as the original Maria-sama ga Miteru novels, so I can only see that 30+ volume series getting translated if it's only available as an e-book. Either that, or jump up my studies in Japanese. Wink
Pelianth
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Juhachi wrote:
That said, I'd say I'd welcome more electronic translations of novels if it meant getting more titles and getting exiting titles out faster (as you don't have to wait for them to print or deliver them).

Or maybe TP could spend that extra time doing proper editing?

In a related note, does anyone know if there were changes to characters made for the FMP: Second Raid adaptation? Like for instance, changing genders/name? If not, then TP fucked up AGAIN.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I've heard that the first Kino no Tabi volume goes for crazy prices these days so I'd love to see much more reasonable e-reader prices. And honestly, yes I like my books printed but it my options are English e-book vs Japanese import then I'll take it.
xXInfinite026Xx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Or maybe TP could spend that extra time doing proper editing?

In a related note, does anyone know if there were changes to characters made for the FMP: Second Raid adaptation? Like for instance, changing genders/name? If not, then TP fucked up AGAIN

If you are referring to Xia Yu Lan & Xia Yu Fan, they were originally male characters in the novels changed to female in The Second Raid (although I don't remember if their names were different or not). So no, that wasn't a mistake from TP....this time at least.
kameoosama

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:36 pm Reply with quote
As someone who totally loves their kindle i would jump all over this, especially if they do it right (prices at parity or somewhat below paperback, items never leave distribution, etc.) Right now there's like what, 1 or 2 light novels on kindle in English total? It would help me enjoy my copy of Welcome to the NHK that I constantly re-read and apparently shouldn't take out of the house.
Mobius Archer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
After seeing a Kindle up close, I don't have any problem with releasing things as E-books. Its not like reading it on a computer screen. Honest to God, the kindle's screen looks just like paper. It blows me away that something like that is even possible.
Nayu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Maybe if they had rereleased the first three novels in any format, the fourth would have sold better? Its damn hard to find them at a reasonable price.
d-_-b zzzzz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote
It took them a long ass time to release the 4th book so of course alot of people gave up on waiting
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Juhachi wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
or by wasting my money on an e-reader that I'd only use to read the series.

Well, it's not like you couldn't just read it on your computer.

That said, I'd say I'd welcome more electronic translations of novels if it meant getting more titles and getting exiting titles out faster (as you don't have to wait for them to print or deliver them). Still, I would prefer having the book in my hand, but if I have to sacrifice paper for more content, then that's just what I'll do. ...
They've said If print on demand pays its way, they'll keep doing it.

The thing is right in light novels seem to be unbundled, where it makes sense to have a system where the same localization is used for print on demand and for eBooks.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I ordered my copy of the 4th novel the other day.

But I still don't have the 3rd volume. I got the 1st and 2nd, but the 3rd is impossible to find for less than $100. This news about bad sales doesn't sit well with me at all... I want to get the 3rd book, but I'm not buying a used copy for $250. Bad sales means less chance they will reprint it...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3