• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Lists 3 New Manga Series from Tokyopop

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:39 pm Reply with quote
So we have some typical moe, a potentially good series that will probably be canceled by Tokyopop before I can complete it, and some fetish fuel? Sounds like Tokyopop to me.
Wooga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow, to be honest i want to check out all 3 of them. the first looks cute, the second one interesting, the third one has great art.
At the same time I don't want to give the company funding for their reality shows and Bizenghast animations...such a hard choice.
Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for a lot of things Tokyopop have done. And I even like their new cover/spine design. I guess I have a love/hat relationship right now...
Extalia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
So we have some typical moe, a potentially good series that will probably be canceled by Tokyopop before I can complete it, and some fetish fuel? Sounds like Tokyopop to me.

Add inconsistent translation of sound effects and an inferior product with a high price tag and sounds even more like Tokyopop;p

However, that is a shame. Flat is very cute and Ame Nochi Hare's cover screams to get a bigger size.

I was expecting Fantagraphics to express some interest in either Flat or Ame Nochi Hare, since they're both slice of life stories with merit. *sigh* Waiting for the day I go to Japan to buy them, then.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Out of those three, I'll go for Snow White Panic Mix!. I did read it in scanlation (only 3 chapters so far) version from the Internet, but since it's already licensed by TokyoPop in U.S., there's no need for me to read it on the Internet anymore *crosses out that title in my notebook*. Anime smile
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I cannot describe my unhappiness at learning TP got Flat. I really like the series; it's cute, the color scheme's nice, and the characterization is perfect. Despite the main focus being on Heisuke and Aki, various other relationships are explored.

I was rooting for Yen Press, hoping that I could get some colored pages, nice quality, and a consistent translation. Ah...but despite this, I'll still buy. I do need to support the series, and perhaps TP will prove me wrong.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Murder She wrote:

Title: Ame Nochi Hare volume 1

Four new male students at a prestigious academy are caught in a spring storm and mysteriously transform into girls.

Do they turn back with hot water? Laughing
Juhachi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:20 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Murder She wrote:

Title: Ame Nochi Hare volume 1

Four new male students at a prestigious academy are caught in a spring storm and mysteriously transform into girls.

Do they turn back with hot water? Laughing

Actually, spoiler[they transform when it stars raining, and they turn back about 12 hours after it stops raining.]

I'm mildly interesting in checking out Ame Nochi Hare, but I'll see. I still have to buy Bunny Drop from Yen Press before the anime airs in July.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:24 am Reply with quote
i'll pick up flat if i can, i have a huge backlog to get through (my amazon wishlist is like 400 books and growing all the time)

I dont really have too many issues with tokyopop though i have come across spelling mistakes from time to time, its kind of embarassing since they are supposed to be a professional company an all.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:41 am Reply with quote
Hey, TokyoPop finally licensed something that really interests me again! I read the first volume of Ame Nochi Hare and it was enjoyable so I might actually buy that. And a hardcover for Volume 1 of Culdcept... Could that mean Volume 6 is finally going to be released over here soon?
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Snowwhite Panic Mix! looks good but Ame Nochi Hare now im going to get that one
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Snowwhite Panic Mix! looks good but Ame Nochi Hare now im going to get that one

I recognized Ame Nochi Hare.... I think it's being released in France at the moment- unusual series concept. It being an Enterbrain title leaves me a little intrigued. Flat sounds similar to Bunny Drop [considering that VIZ has put out a few raising-kids manga, looks like we're seeing more the genre], and Mag Garden titles are generally pleasant stuff- I heard good things about Aurora's release of Hitohira, so good to know we'll be seeing more of that creator's works.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:50 am Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
I cannot describe my unhappiness at learning TP got Flat. I really like the series; it's cute, the color scheme's nice, and the characterization is perfect. Despite the main focus being on Heisuke and Aki, various other relationships are explored.

I was rooting for Yen Press, hoping that I could get some colored pages, nice quality, and a consistent translation. Ah...but despite this, I'll still buy. I do need to support the series, and perhaps TP will prove me wrong.

Pffft, Yen Press would take 50 years just to catch up to the manga within a volume or so behind the Japanese.
Scormio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:

Pffft, Yen Press would take 50 years just to catch up to the manga within a volume or so behind the Japanese.

At least we would be sure Yen Press wasn't going to cancel it.
lys

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
At least we would be sure Yen Press wasn't going to cancel it.

...on the topic of Tokyopop "canceling"/hiatus-ing its series, they just posted an interesting article today about why some series get put on hold (and I can't help but think it's partly in response to some of the early posts in this thread). I thought it was pretty informative, and I hope it helps more readers understand the sometimes unfortunate realities of publishing for a niche market like manga.

At the same time, I really want to stress that Tokyopop has been very reliable with their current publishing schedule for the last year and a half or so, following through with publishing the new series they announce, as well as bringing back a number of the series they had previously put on hold. They also seem a bit more choosy with the titles they pick up, going for series they believe will do well rather than just throwing anything and everything out there. So I don't think that there's any need to be concerned about a recently acquired title being "canceled"—Tokyopop's pretty stable right now. I'm doing my part to keep it that way by buying the series they publish that I'm interested in—hope you all will too!

(also, in response to some previous posts: I heard something the other day about a newer Tokyopop series being released with colour pages, so that doesn't necessarily need to be ruled out. maybe let them know (via website, email, facebook, twitter) that you'd like to see colour pages, so they can consider it?)
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:42 pm Reply with quote
^
The inclusion of color pages has more to do with sales in some cases. The newer title you are thinking of is probably Hetalia. Unlike with Flat, Hetalia has a strong fanbase, ensuring that the costs to print color pages wont be a waste. It also works as an incentive.

The current TP release schedule seems firm, so I have no real qualms with it. Unless it gets severely messy again, I wont complain about that. (Also, release schedules rarely bother me unless they are unreasonable or inconsistent; thus, YP is fine with me, though I wish Bunny Drop came out faster.) I'm also aware that some Japanese publishers might keep a series from being released at a constant rate (apparently the case with Ichijinsha titles). Sales can damage the ability to produce a series, but I rather have TP make adjustments or statements that the average fan can follow. I think that's where some of my annoyance comes from.

I mainly worry about the translation and editing, which TP has had some issues with recently, and overall release quality. I do consider colored pages a perk (that is, I won't be enraged if they aren't there), but I still would like them and Yen Press includes them if they are available. Due to YP's consistently with translation and quality, I tend to hope they get a license (or Vertical, and VIZ is pretty much fine sans instances where they censor). Though do note that TP can produce a high-quality product; ignoring my "why use honorifics?!" gripe with Hetalia, it fits the description pretty well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2