• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Takuhai Online

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treeloot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I thought that magazine was supposed to be manga previews, not ameramanga crap.
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
It's Tokyopop's magazine, so they'll put the titles they want to put into it.

I figure they want to sell their Amerimanga more strongly, because the overheads are lesser, because there's no need for translation.

And most importantly; if you don't like the content, don't sign up for it.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:51 am Reply with quote
The printed magazine cover manga and manhwa. The online preview cover the american made manga. Why don't you guys actually check out the site before jumping to conclusion.

printed version

And not all the american made stuff are crap. Stop being closed minded and check them out before you dismiss them. It's good that you like japanese manga, but it's ignorant to dismiss other related work just because it's not from Japan. It's sad to see how japan-centric most fans are.
Ztarr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:50 am Reply with quote
i hate the word Amerimanga

Please don't spread it's disgusting-ness

*pukes*
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:29 am Reply with quote
I was a little disappointed at all the American manga but I'll give it a shot anyway. They could put whatever they want in it, I just don't want to see it become the nesting ground of the Rising Stars of manga contestants. Anyway, I think I'll just save reading the previews until I get the printed version. A lot of the dialogue is blurred on the screen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treeloot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:39 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
The printed magazine cover manga and manhwa. The online preview cover the american made manga. Why don't you guys actually check out the site before jumping to conclusion.

printed version

And not all the american made stuff are crap. Stop being closed minded and check them out before you dismiss them. It's good that you like japanese manga, but it's ignorant to dismiss other related work just because it's not from Japan. It's sad to see how japan-centric most fans are.

Ah, I guess I was wrong about the magazine just covering american manga.

My comment about it being crap still stands. I have yet to hear a glowing review about any of it.
time_trapper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:22 am Reply with quote
I don't understand how the term "American Manga" is still being used. It's racist. You have writers/artist that are Russian, Canadian and Asian working on some of those titles. There isn't anything "American" about those creators or their works other than the fact that TOKYOPOP happens to be in the United States.

The politically correct and very descriptive term being thrown around is "OEL manga," which stands for "original English language manga."
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:15 am Reply with quote
time_trapper wrote:
I don't understand how the term "American Manga" is still being used. It's racist. You have writers/artist that are Russian, Canadian and Asian working on some of those titles. There isn't anything "American" about those creators or their works other than the fact that TOKYOPOP happens to be in the United States.

The politically correct and very descriptive term being thrown around is "OEL manga," which stands for "original English language manga."
why not just COMICS or "Graphic Novel"
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
time_trapper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Because they are being written/drawn/paced/toned as manga and not as a traditional super-hero or even indy comic. Big difference.

And for the simple reason that "comics" and "graphic novels" relating to super-heroes or independent comics don't sell for bookstores. Comics are viewed as something people outgrow, graphic novels is a term people use when they wanna be artsy and downplay something being a comic book, but manga...manga is something that anyone can enjoy because there is something for every age and sex.

If you wanna go further with this, it still has a lot to do with the fact that comics tend to be colored and manga is toned and that comics come in single issues or tall trade paper backs and manga comes in anthology magazines or tankoubon.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:01 pm Reply with quote
time_trapper wrote:
Quote:

Because they are being written/drawn/paced/toned as manga and not as a traditional super-hero or even indy comic. Big difference.

And for the simple reason that "comics" and "graphic novels" relating to super-heroes or independent comics don't sell for bookstores. Comics are viewed as something people outgrow, graphic novels is a term people use when they wanna be artsy and downplay something being a comic book, but manga...manga is something that anyone can enjoy because there is something for every age and sex.

If you wanna go further with this, it still has a lot to do with the fact that comics tend to be colored and manga is toned and that comics come in single issues or tall trade paper backs and manga comes in anthology magazines or tankoubon.

You do know that companies like tokyopop and viz refer to manga as Graphic novel. And who cares if it's call american manga or comic or OEL, why be anal about it.

There are a lot of regular graphnic novel publish by onipress, Top Shelf Productions, Origin Comics, AdHouse Books and many more that are done in Black and White, 200 page graphic novel.

"Manga is something that anyone can enjoy", LOL, no mas por favor.

time_trapper wrote:

Maybe because these people lived in the U.S. The rising star contest are for U.S. only. You can say it's like americanized manga, but really. If this upset you that much on what people are calling it, I think it's more redundent that people adopt the word "manga" to describe japanese comic.

I think sometimes people worry too much about the label than the actual content itself.
time_trapper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe because these people lived in the U.S. The rising star contest are for U.S. only. You can say it's like americanized manga, but really. If this upset you that much on what people are calling it, I think it's more redundent that people adopt the word "manga" to describe japanese comic.

Not all those previews are from Rising Stars contest winners. So no, they all DON'T live in the U.S. TP does take proposals from creators around the world.

When I think "Americanized manga," I think something like Ben Dunn's Marvel's Mangaverse, but even that's an extreme. Something like Runaways is closer to being a perfect combination of the two extremes. The TP stuff is simply non-Japanese creators making their own manga.

And "manga" is the Japanese word for comic, not "Japanese comic."

If the creators and company want to call it manga, why debate it? It's bloody childish.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:53 pm Reply with quote
time_trapper wrote:
And "manga" is the Japanese word for comic, not "Japanese comic."

If the creators and company want to call it manga, why debate it? It's bloody childish.

Then again, one could bring up a different question. Why do we have the term "manwah" for the Korean releases? I think it's important that we bring language usage into consideration.

The term manga is clearly not a natural part of the English language. Because of how manga is marketed overall, there is an expectancy by its readers that if the term is manga, it's Japanese in nature. After all, it is a Japanese term. We don't live in Japan, so why should we be expected to go by their usage? Besides, we already have a word for comics and the term manga is needed to differentiate theirs from our own.

Communication, language usage, vocabulary... since when is taking these things into consideration childish?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Treeloot wrote:
I thought that magazine was supposed to be manga previews, not ameramanga crap.

Keeping in mind that this is the first month that they've done this, there could be any number of reasons why they aren't putting up regular manga online. I didn't see anything saying that the online version will be exlusive to "Ameri-manga," but that may not mean much.

The licenses they have for regular manga may be restricted from having the content distributed electronically. While I don't know this for a fact, it is a possible explanation as to why only their own content is being distributed through the website. In a situation like that, it could be the reason behind the web design's theme geared towards those interested in creating their own "manga."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
time_trapper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Then again, one could bring up a different question. Why do we have the term "manwah" for the Korean releases? I think it's important that we bring language usage into consideration.

I'm of the mode of thinking that since manga, manhwa/manwha and manhua all have the same meaning and are spelled quite similiar that it's all in how they are being romanized. I think they may have all came from the same word meaning "comics" and due to language differences, were pronounced with a slight variation and then written with that variation. It'd be interesting to see an article explaining where those words came from and which culture borrowed from which culture.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote
While the etymology of the words certainly are worth researching (and I suspect you may be right on the manwah term,) this doesn't change the need for differentiation between Japanese releases and those of foreign origin that copy the "manga" style. After all, TP and others companies (Viz, Dark Horse, etc.) have been marketing manga for years as having come from Japan.

It seems to me that TP wants to kind of wander off in its own direction with this site though and go against what it has marketed all this time. While it's understandable that they want to capitalize on manga popularity, I think it's important that they keep in mind what made them so successful today.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2