• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyōkaisen-jō no Horizon Light Novels Get Sunrise Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:08 am Reply with quote
Judging by that girls outfit I am sure this will be a fan-service free anime. Other than that it actually sounds kind of interesting.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:01 am Reply with quote
Hrm, never heard of this story.

Quote:
Sunrise to animate Minoru Kawakami's fantasy story about feudal future

The illusive fantasy-feudal-future genre? I am intrigued. Is it going to be like Scrapped Princess? Dying Earth? The High Crusade?

Quote:
The story is set in a distant future where Japan is divided into feudal territories and conquered by other countries.

Okay, getting a little jingoistic here, but hey, everybody loves a good peasant's revolt. Oh, and make one the evil foreigners an obese, disguising American. Make sure he has blond hair and blue eyes too; everyone knows all Americans are blond and blue eyed. That would be clever.

Quote:
There is a floating city named Musashi that is composed of eight ships in the skies.

Sounds like a rather poor urban planning, but continue

Quote:
A war that will determine the fate of the world...

Epic war is always good...

Quote:
...will be fought by students on the Musashi.

what. Students? Really? The fate of the world is left in the hands high-school kids again? Ooh, you know what would be even better? A ranking system and power levels! You can have kids going around saying "You can't beat me, my power level is over nine thousand" or something. And you have these kids fighting, but like, still going to classes and it will be all so stressful for them, and it will be awesome, and you can have like a class trip to a hot spring and a school club where the president is a mascot animal and everyone can fly mecha without training and it will be all completely original, because nobody has done this before.

And I'm trying to figure what the hell the girl is wearing in that picture. I figure the evil foreign overlords must make women dress like that, since nobody would walk around in those clothes unless coerced. Personally, when I become Japan's evil foreign overlord, I will make women dress in miko costumes, but that's just me.

/Seriously, students? Japan, I am disappoint
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote
Melancthon, I thought almost the exact same thing. I read the blurb on the main page, clicked the link, was immediately turned off by the picture, and then it just got worse as I read.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Setting sounds more interesting than one taking place in a boring old high school on the boring old ground that you could see in dozens of anime at least. With any luck the story would focus more on the war that's being fought as opposed to school stuff. That'd kind of be the difference between me watching or not.

Anyway wondering why the heck Sunrise is doing a light novel adaptation instead of doing it's own thing which it has more than enough resources to afford. Light Novel adaptations are almost without exception pretty lousy anime and aim pretty low with their storytelling and characters. That said they've made the whole school in the sky/space premise interesting before....but will it be interesting this time around?

BleuVII wrote:
Melancthon, I thought almost the exact same thing. I read the blurb on the main page, clicked the link, was immediately turned off by the picture, and then it just got worse as I read.

What link? The only one I see is for the main page which isn't even up yet and just displays a blank white space.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I'll watch for the cute chick in the light novel's cover.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I have yet to a dislike a Sunrise anime show so I'll have to check this one out when its available.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
What link? The only one I see is for the main page which isn't even up yet and just displays a blank white space.
He meant this link (Moe Ota-New Sokuhō).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1