• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
manga recommendations for older readers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megdelah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:01 am Reply with quote
I just turned thirty this spring. Though I enjoy several high school manga, I would really like to read some non-high school manga. Does anyone know of a good series with characters in their 20's.
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:47 am Reply with quote
I don't know if you're into romance or not, but Tramps Like Us is pretty good. It's about an ambitious 27-year-old career woman (Sumire) who, because of various internal and external pressures, is trying to find her ideal man to marry. Sumire ends up taking in a young guy with no place to go, and he becomes her "pet." This relationship is not a sleazy one, however (as I thought before I read this title). Sumire's "pet" actually provides her with an outlet to be herself since she's otherwise so occupied with being perfect. I'll admit that I'm a high school student myself, but I adore this manga, since a change of pace from high school characters is nice even for me. Wink
Nani?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:12 am Reply with quote
One that comes to mind is Eagle. It's about a low ranking reporter from Mainichi Shinbun who (unexpectedly) is covering the first Asian American to run for the Democratic Nomination for President.
It was written in 1999-2001 (ending on inaguration day) and a lot of the characters are based off real life politicans (some of whom I personally have met).

All the Best,

Nani?
radicaledward

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:37 am Reply with quote
Alot of it is going to depend upon what you like, but here are some that you might be interested in checking into:

- Battle Angel Alita (Sci-fi) - Age is fairly irrelevant due to the fact that the main character is a cyborg, however, there is a great deal of character development over the course of the series.

- Aria (Slice-of-Life) - While it is questionable as to if we will ever see the release of the remainder of the manga, the story follows a young woman as she tries to establish her self on Aqua (post terraforming Mars).

- Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - Timeless classic, hard to place in to any one genre though.

Lack of sleep + Lack of coffee = Need for edits!

Last edited by radicaledward on Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:59 am Reply with quote
Megdelah, if you can read unlicensed manga, I'd recommend Shima Kosaku series by Kenshi Hirokane. One of the best (albeit quite chauvinistic) manga depicting business world. However, in my humble opinion THE best business manga is Iihito by Shin Takahashi, famous for his SaiKano.

radicaledward wrote:
- Aria (Slice-of-Life) - While it is questionable as to if we will ever see the release of the remainder of the manga, the story follows a young woman as she tries to establish her self on Aria (post terraforming Mars).

Small correction: Mars has been renamed to Aqua. Aria is the name of her navigator (gondolier + tour guide) company. Sometimes it's good to live outside US... Razz

And since I've recommeded Aria (and its prequel Aqua), most veteran ANNer would know what I'm about to mention next... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
radicaledward

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:37 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Small correction: Mars has been renamed to Aqua. Aria is the name of her navigator (gondolier + tour guide) company. Sometimes it's good to live outside US... Razz

And since I've recommeded Aria (and its prequel Aqua), most veteran ANNer would know what I'm about to mention next... Wink
Ack! You caught me, I typed that up while I was still waking up with me morning coffee - that has stayed the same in the English release, but I'm useless in the morning with facts sometimes Wink
Criminalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:15 am Reply with quote
I agree with radicaledward, Battle Angel Alita is a good story for an older reader. The anime is not that bad either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TF

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:26 am Reply with quote
try berserk Wink
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:07 pm Reply with quote
TF wrote:
try berserk Wink

And then again, don't.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OvenToaster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Hellsing manga can also be aimed at a more mature audience.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
TF wrote:
try berserk Wink

And then again, don't.

- abunai

Nothin' wrong with a little Berserk. It's a bit overrated right now, but it's still an exellent fantasy story.
Anyways, there's a ton of diffrent stuff out there aimed at older males. If you want fairly mainstream, typical seinen try Sanctuary (gangster/politics), Eagle (politics), Monster (thriller) or Vagabond (historical). For something a bit diffrent from traditional seinen, go for Beleivers (drama), Sexy Voice and Robo (drama/action), Me and the Devil Blues (drama/historical) or anything by Taiyo Matsumoto. If you want try some works aimed at women (but still very appealing to men), Kiyoko Okazaki (River's Edge) and Nananan Kiriko (Blue) write some of the most mature and intellegentstuff you can find. And then of course there are classics like Nausicaa, Akira and Lone Wolf and Cub.
Exactally what are you looking for, and what mangas have you enjoyed before?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:13 am Reply with quote
TF wrote:
try berserk Wink

Wow, very convincing, I'm sold. Not! This might also be a bad recommendation since it cater to a specific audience and the original poster was into high school drama.

So until Megdelah let us know what he/she is into, we can't just throw random 18+ manga recommendaton and say try it. Can we at least hear from him/her again first. Very Happy
Ulthrion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:13 am Reply with quote
Depending whether you can get into it or not, I'd personally recommend Lupin III. It takes some time to get used to it, but after 3 volumes I was completely sold, and I'm now a regular Lupin addict. And of course, you also have Lupin III - World's Most Wanted. But it kind of depends whether or not you like your humour that way.

Farseer Ulthrion
molloaggie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm still 28 but here's a couple of more mature series that I enjoy:

Planetes- It's a space manga but not a mecha. The characters are very realistic.

Nodame Cantabile- A story line about a promising musician who wants to be a composer. Volume 2 is about to be released.
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm 28 also. Here's my pics--

If you're interesting in reading scans, "Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou" (or Yokohama Shopping Log) is a wonderful, wonderful "slice-of-life" series, that's still going. Beautiful pen and ink drawing, with occasional chapters done entirely in full color water colors. A languid pace, that seems to perfectly reflect the sort of lazy, yet insightful moments one has on quiet, lazy summer days, or winter days that are too rainy and keep you inside. That sort of feel. There's no real main plot, but there is continuity, and characters do grow and change over time. Very cute, playful at times, with a sort of "zen/haiku" attitude, for lack of a better description.

Also, and I know this must sound like I'm schizophrenic, but I think "Berserk" is a wonderful title as well, that grows more and more "mature" as it progresses. The first few volumes are pretty standard cut and slash fantasy type stuff, but as the story continues, it becomes, in my mind, one of the best dark fantasy stories around, period, in any genre. It's still going, and still very interesting, and the plot still feels like its growing, changing, and heading towards an ever building climax after 28 volumes.

I also second "Nausicaa" which is wonderful sci-fi mix, and very intelligent. It's main character though is a teenager.

Some of Tezuka's stuff has older protagonists too-- "Pheonix", right? And maybe "Adolf"? (Which is about three men named Adolf, during WWII-- one of them being Hitler).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2