• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looking for suggetions on two types/themes

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sts9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm trying to find a samurai themed manga aimed at a more mature audience (grown-up, not pervert garbage). Honestly not that interested in more "historical" manga, as much as something with terrific character development, and with the feel of an authentic samurai aura (if you will).

I'd also like to find a classic, "old-school" FANTASY style manga, similar to Magic Knight Rayearth (as much as possible lol).
final sage of fantas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:14 am Reply with quote
I dont read manga, but I saw this one that looks like a samurai one is Samurai DEeper Kyo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:26 am Reply with quote
Anyways, The top 4 mature samurai manga are follow:

Blade of the Immortal <--click for more info
14 Volumes release by Dark Horse.
My take on it: Probably the best samurai manga or just manga in general available right now, simply beause of the stylistic artstyle, great story and complex character that isn't black and white.

Vagabond<--click for more info
20 Voumes release by Viz.
My take on it: A very good adaption of Musashi, while not a true to life story of Musashi Miyamoto, a very solid story that rely

Samurai Executioner<--click for more info
My take on it: A very good manga series that follow Lone Wolf and Cub. The chapters are longer, thus the story is more focus. There's 10 volume total to this series.

Lone Wolf and Cub<--click for more info
My take on it: An epic serries that follow the Lone Wolf and Cub and their path to meifumado. While a lot of the filler chapter get boring, the main story dealing with the Yagyu are truely excellent. 28 Volume total.

All of these manga series take places in the feudal japan, but what samurai manga doesn't. They all have some historical context either by seting or the character or both. However, Blade of the Immortal and Vagabond is more modernize and more effective in it's story telling. Lone Wolf and Samurai Executioner has that tradional style that you seen might have seen in a lot of live action samurai film.

Both Blade of the Immortal and Vagabond has a lot of character developement with plenty of depth and complexity that most other samurai manga can't match. Try both.

Last edited by darkhunter on Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
milcor1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:57 am Reply with quote
There sure are a great number of ass kicking samurai mangas out there.
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:39 am Reply with quote
The number one and number two in terms of mature-targeted Samurai manga, are, to me, definately Lone Wolf and Cub and Samurai Executioner.

Lone Wolf and Cub includes political intrigue and daring battle scenes with gruesome violence, while Samurai Executioner is the story of one man and many criminals, some who try to avoid punishment, and the like.
pythos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
sts9 wrote:
I'd also like to find a classic, "old-school" FANTASY style manga, similar to Magic Knight Rayearth (as much as possible lol).

You might try some of CLAMP's other titles like RG Veda, Tsubasa, Tokyo Babylon, Clover, X, etc. They've done several other fantasy manga. (Use ANN Encylopedia to get an idea of their other works.)

You might also want to read the Right Turn Only columns to see if there's anything there that strikes your interest.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:14 pm Reply with quote
For samurai manga, I second Lone Wolf and Cub.

As for old-school fantasy, I'll reccomend RG Veda by Clamp. It's pure fantasy, vaguely based off of a Hindu legend.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:21 am Reply with quote
I had no idea that Samurai Executioner and Lone Wolf and Cub were such old titles! I'm admittedly not very interested in samurai titles (Kaze Hikaru isn't helping much), but maybe I'll check one of these out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
I had no idea that Samurai Executioner and Lone Wolf and Cub were such old titles! I'm admittedly not very interested in samurai titles (Kaze Hikaru isn't helping much), but maybe I'll check one of these out.

Both titles were classics from the 1970's. For people unfamiliar with this era of seinen storytelling, they may come off a bit odd. I'd go with Blade of the Immortal if your unfamiliar/not a fan of the genre, as it's characters and storytelling generally make it more accessible to new readers.
But I'd second darkhunter's recommendations. I'll also add Samurai Legend, an exellent one shot, though it's a bit hard to find.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1