• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Macross F Film Opens at #4 with 118 Million Yen

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msgundam2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
That's great I can't wait for the western release. Oh, That's right thanks to Robotech and Harmony gold that will be imposable.
Metanomaly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
That's great I can't wait for the western release. Oh, That's right thanks to Robotech and Harmony gold that will be imposable.

That's okay, I'll just go back and watch my R1 release of "Do You Remember Love" in order to assuage my... oh wait...
The Nagabuchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear the movie is doing well. Macross fans are an awesome bunch that go out of their way to support the franchise. One Japanese fan I know has already seen the movie SIX times. I wonder if he will beat his record for seeing the first movie at the cinema - FORTY SIX times!!!!
Me, I've seen the 2nd movie twice now and will catch it a 3rd time tonite.
For some pics around the launch over the weekend, check out my thread here:
http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=34747&st=0&gopid=900393&#entry900393
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
This isn't a compilation movie... is it?
msgundam2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

The movie is full of new content and there are changes to the story too.
Metanomaly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Are these movies a "retelling" of Macross Frontier, or are they a continuation?
sonickid101

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:

with all this fansub stuff everywhere people still complain about Harmony Gold? its not like you cant ever see the film
I never got into the new Macross, I loved the original, and the movie, and Macross plus, but a lot of other things left me cold. I'm told I should watch this show though
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Metanomaly wrote:
msgundam2 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

They're retellings.
Metanomaly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Metanomaly wrote:
msgundam2 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

They're retellings.

Hm. Always a crap shoot, those.

Though people seem to be liking it so far, I guess.
ABetterTimeandPlace

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
sonickid101 wrote:
with all this fansub stuff everywhere people still complain about Harmony Gold?

Yes. It's not just anime DVDs, but Macross video games, toys, and other hard-to-fansub items that Harmony Gold has tried to block companies from releasing outside Japan--forcing people to resort to more expensive importing.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Metanomaly wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Metanomaly wrote:
msgundam2 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

They're retellings.

Hm. Always a crap shoot, those.

Though people seem to be liking it so far, I guess.

They change a lot of the plot, character development so that a lot of the filler that was seen in the first half of the TV series was cut out and/or redone. For example, spoiler[in the first movie, Ranka knew Alto before the series started whereas in the show, they didn't meet until Sheryl's concert. Another would be Brera's really early appearance and Grace basically showing off that she would be the villain of the show. Another one is the attack on Macross Galaxy, which happened at the end of the original series instead.
The biggest revelation in the movie was more of the fact that Sheryl knew Aimo long before meeting Ranka, let alone revealing the fact that she is related to Mao Nome from Macross Zero.]

Based on the first movie alone, I noticed that the movies tied in significantly more with some of the events of the older Macross series. I wonder if the second movie will expand on that considering I'm betting on Ai Oboete Ima Suka being at least one of the many songs appearing in the movie as it didn't appear in the first movie. Nevertheless still excited for it and it's nice to see it skyrocketing at box offices. The question now is when will it come out on DVD/Blu-Ray. The staff slipped the first movie in as a "special release" with the PS3 game last fall instead of releasing the movie on its own. If they do this again, I don't see us getting this movie until next year at the earliest given the trend.

Speaking of songs, another reason why we'll never get this show. Localizing these songs would be terrible for my ears and leaving as is with a dub would be just as bad.
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Good to see Macorss still holding its own. Macorss F series was probably my 2nd favorite of all the series with the original being my all time favorites.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kkofthefunkoff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:

It wouldn't get a western release even IF HG didn't own macross here. You know why? Licensing issues with ALL the music, same reason why 7 won't, it would cost too much to work out a deal with Sony Music, to get royalties from something they can't even guarantee will sell well here.

And be happy at least II, SDF, and Plus have western releases, better then nothing.
ABetterTimeandPlace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:08 am Reply with quote
kkofthefunkoff wrote:
msgundam2 wrote:

It wouldn't get a western release even IF HG didn't own macross here. You know why? Licensing issues with ALL the music, same reason why 7 won't, it would cost too much to work out a deal with Sony Music, to get royalties from something they can't even guarantee will sell well here.

This persistent myth has several factual problems. One, Macross Plus came out within months of Macross 7, so the issues that Macross 7 had does not affect all Macross projects. Two, Sony Music has nothing to do with Macross 7 or Macross Frontier.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Many fans are re-watching the film multiple times. That means there's actually less # of people watching the movies relative to the revenue totals.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2