• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Poppy Hill Earns US$55,000 on 2 NYC Theaters

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for the blu ray
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Here's our theater, 15 and 10 minutes before start. We were near the back. I had to lighten it up a bit since the lights were too dark for the camera lens. There were actually a lot of kids there too. By the time lights went dim, at least 80% full. (Click photos for larger pictures.)

Arsenette

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote
That's good news to have such a great start! I hope that helps translate to more films in the future premiering in the USA. Either way grats on a Ghibli success Smile
hpulley

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
From Up On Poppy Hill adapts the 1960s shōjo manga of the same name by Tetsurō Sayama and Chizuru Takahashi. The film follows Umi (The Spiderwick Chronicles' Sarah Bolger) and Shun (Star Trek's Anton Yelchin) in a budding romance as they come together to save their school's clubhouse.

Showing just how old the romance while saving the school(house) trope really is in manga and anime... Not complaining, just saying there are no new plots so it really is all about the execution.

Just Toronto? Might have to make the one hour drive... Dub is too bad but beggars can't be choosers.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:14 pm Reply with quote
What's funny about the "save this old building" thing for anime is how the Japanese view old buildings. Cheaper homes are seen as disposable after 20 or so years, and the mindset of the Japanese seems to be "old is bad, tear it down and make new". They'd rather just demolish old homes over restoring them.

I'm somewhat surprised that it's playing by me, until I remember what kind of theater and setting it is. It's not really a mass-market movie theater, but instead this personal venue on a college campus that focuses on foreign and artsy films. I'm hoping that means it'll be in Japanese with subtitles, but I wouldn't mind seeing the dub for it either as a new experience. I hope it does well enough to see more anime films shopped around as if they were foreign/artsy/documentaries. Only Disney's backing has been able to give non-kid films any kind of wide release.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I saw it today at the New York International Children's Film Festival in New York City.
^-^
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Let's just hope that the Academy Awards will nominate this one next year.
I made myself a promise that if they do not nominate a Studio Ghibli anime in "Best Animated Feature" next year, I will boycott by not watching the Oscars.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I will keep a eye out for Poppy Hill they don't pay attention to animation in the USA as they do in Japan. Very Happy [/url]
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
I made myself a promise that if they do not nominate a Studio Ghibli anime in "Best Animated Feature" next year, I will boycott by not watching the Oscars.

It can't be nominated, at all, whatsoever. It would have needed a qualifying run in LA theaters for a week last year to gain that qualification, so nothing happened here. Then, calendar year extensions from their original release are given for foreign films so they can qualify at all in the Academy Awards, which would have been the calendar year of 2012 for a 2011 film. It's not that it doesn't even have a chance, it's not at all eligible, it's too late. They should have ran a qualifying release sometime in November or December; Disney should have the same for Arrietty in late 2011 instead of the February 2012 release. I won't blame the Academy, giving an entire extra year is some leeway, so it all falls on the licensee's ability to be expedient.

In thinking about what could possibly be nominated, should Wolf Children does that LA run and enough view it to raise some buzz, there's a chance. I can't think of anything else at this time, A Letter to Momo is long ineligible, Evangelion 3.33 would never happen, Patema hasn't even opened in Japan yet, and the new Ghibli films slated to come out later this year will have to run sometime in 2014 so we can possibly see them nominated in 2015. And that's if Disney even wants films about a fighter plane designer or a Japanese folktale.

Monsters University will win 2013 because it's NotCars4.

So, feel free to boycott the Oscars for a very long time.

Edit: GATSU tells me it did do the qualifying run and was submitted for nomination, so no dice, it's over.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Saw it Saturday at Lincoln Center's Elinor Bunim theater. The English dub was well casted; kudos, GKids, you're off to a great start. It was a sweet film, with some very quiet, slice-of-life moments. I have yet to see 'Earthsea, so I can't comment on Goro Miyazaki's growth as a filmmaker.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:37 am Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
Showing just how old the romance while saving the school(house) trope really is in manga and anime... Not complaining, just saying there are no new plots so it really is all about the execution.

I believe the story in the original manga the protest is concerning school uniforms [the abolition thereof?]. It was also set in the 70s, and whatserface's mother was a photographer rather than a medico [da sou da].
nhat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:15 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
I saw it today at the New York International Children's Film Festival in New York City.
^-^

Can you give your accounts on the experience you had there like the crowd and the amount of people that was there?
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:

The submitted it for Best Animated Feature for this year's Oscars. Never made it to the ballot. Not unusual, a large number of anime have been submitted since that award was created, few made it past the committee.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Of course my funds made it possible. I was at the IFC screening. To be honest I wish I had seen it at another theater in the city. I'm just starting to not be so crazy with the IFC. It was a great movie. I look forward to seeing it released on DVD.

I'm curious now how GKIDS gets to release this and what contracts they had with Disney's catalog to publish it instead of Disney's other Ghibli releases.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I'm curious now how GKIDS gets to release this and what contracts they had with Disney's catalog to publish it instead of Disney's other Ghibli releases.

I doubt Disney has an exclusive no-bid contract with Ghibli, that would be outrageous. The movie's themes and ideas just aren't what Disney wants because it's not mass-marketable in the US. That's probably the same with Only Yesterday and why it's never even received a video release here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2