• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Nightmare Girls

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote
Catherine is definitely looking to be a cult hit; Atlus has become the new Nippon Ichi with their quirky titles and if they keep up their quality ratio they might very well beat SE's 90s track record. Plus this seems to be one of the few games that's trying to address sexual subject matter without just throwing some boobs in our faces (like Bayonetta)
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Black and White are also notable for something they don't have: iconic electric rat Pikachu as a starting Pokémon.

Um, he was only a starter Pokemon in Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition. Where are you getting this info that Pikachu was a starter in every game?
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:57 am Reply with quote
The US version of Tactics Ogre came with tarot cards? Now I feel cheated.

I don't mean to be a dick about this, but I can't understand why anyone is getting excited about Catherine. I know the developer has an excellent pedigree (Persona 3 FTW), but the gameplay really doesn't seem very interesting to me Confused
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:52 am Reply with quote
Oh Galgun, you so funny. So funny that I always laugh at how this game passed in the game concept meeting.
Eri94

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:49 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Quote:
Black and White are also notable for something they don't have: iconic electric rat Pikachu as a starting Pokémon.

Um, he was only a starter Pokemon in Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition. Where are you getting this info that Pikachu was a starter in every game?
This. But also, maybe he/she meant that Pika isn't available until the latter half of the game? I dunno, it is poorly worded.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:16 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Quote:

i think it was more of general note that Pokemon Black/White doesn't include or reference the previous generations of pokemon until the later part of the game when you've beaten everything.

ie-no more Tentacool while you surf or being attacked by Zubat and Geodude at every turn while you explore a cave (granted i'm sure theres a new pokemon to replace those)

probably the word "starter" just wasn't the best word to use, but i knew what he meant.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:21 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
I don't mean to be a dick about this, but I can't understand why anyone is getting excited about Catherine. I know the developer has an excellent pedigree (Persona 3 FTW), but the gameplay really doesn't seem very interesting to me Confused

Ditto. I was all excited when this was announced, but seeing the actual core gameplay left me less than impressed and hearing that it's supposed to be super hard isn't exactly making it more appealing.

Oh well, I'll still buy it if the X360 version is region free or it gets released in Europe.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:46 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:

I'd say the majority of people who are excited about this game have decided to "deal" with the actual gameplay already; just to experience everything else in the game. (Story, characters, atmosphere, music, etc.)
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:07 am Reply with quote
I'm starting to believe Sting artists don't know how to draw a character that looks over 13 years old. Either that or they really like drawing kids.

Catherine is also interesting considering the lack of adult relationships in Japanese anime and videogames.
gunshottrigun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quote
Pretty sure that the Cave Story PSP port referenced in this article wasn't official. You can't purchase it and it was an unauthorized port. In order to run it and play it, you would need a homebrew PSP. I really don't think Cave Story is the type of game that deserves to be discredited due to being on multiple platforms like Final Fantasy IV does or something. It was released as a from the heart free PC game, and it has succeeded somewhat to be ported to the Wii and DSiWare. I think it's awesome that it is coming to the 3DS, completely revamped with a new graphic style and all.

Well anyways, I'm pretty excited for Catherine. It should be interesting at the least, and Atlus does a good job with their Persona team titles.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:14 pm Reply with quote
A real shame about the arcade. I hate seeing places close down. It's sad to look at. I've seen so many stores come and go in my town and others. The worst part is when the property is essentially left alone and is never purchased for years. One example is the Circuit City here that closed way back when (I know the layoffs were in 2008, but the location here closed back in 2007). For years, it just sat there with old posters still in the windows advertising products until a week or so ago I saw construction crews begin leveling the building. I figured it would happen eventually. Still kind of sad to see though.

Gungnir: I was hoping this would be like Hexyz Force. Oh well...

FFIV: Europe deserves more anyway. I don't mind. Though I just imagined rubbing Cecil's face against my PSP to clean it. That aside, I have not finished After Years on the Wii and now they're coming out with this little collection. This has been happening a lot lately. Like I said before, it's better to wait for everything to be put on the PSP or iPhone Anime hyper

Vagrant Story: I never did play this sadly, though I did see the ad for it in the very back of the SaGa Frontier 2 strategy guide. Is the Old English thing really that annoying?

Catherine: Think Ghouls n Ghosts meets Persona and you get the basic idea behind this game. Vincent does share Arthur's affinity for being in undies most of the time and being turned into a skeleton is commonplace for both of them. But wow Japanese players complained about the difficulty being too hard? Now that is a first.

Galgun:
Quote:
His only means of escape is for the player to fire liquid pheromones at the oncoming schoolgirls, turning them into swooning, gasping, conveniently exposed, and non-threatening wrecks who collapse from pure ecstasy.

...And they're letting something obviously suggestive like this get released with that sissy Youth Ordinance crap going on? Lol Japan.

Macross Triangle Frontier: I have a feeling Macross games might only do as well with fans who actually kept on with the series since the very beginning. A shame no one cares enough about it to warrant bringing it here.

Hermuda Triangle: Thinking back, I wish I had waited for this instead of buying We Meet Again. I haven't really gotten any further in it due to all my new PS3 RPGs.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Catherine: Think Ghouls n Ghosts meets Persona and you get the basic idea behind this game.

I'm thinking more like Q*bert meets Persona.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
Catherine: Think Ghouls n Ghosts meets Persona and you get the basic idea behind this game.

I'm thinking more like Q*bert meets Persona.

I'm thinking more like Donkey Kong meets Silent Hill
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I've been checking out Catherine online. I have to admit it's an interesting game. Some of the stages are downright creepy. I don't think I've seen a game that gave me a chill the way Atlus does. There's one stage that has to be seen and it scared the crap out of me. Though I must last at the fact that Atlus made the game so hard that even Japanese gamers are having trouble. You have to admit the game really created a buzz. I'm glad that it's coming over, I may have to recommend this to my job to be 1 of a few niche titles to own. Even though we were instructed to collect XB360 games due to a faculty request, (mainly because it's an American company) among them were some Japanese requests (ie. SF4, Guilty Gear), so why not suggest something different once in awhile? If students are learning game design then it's not just American companies but other countries as well. Again didn't expect a game like this from Atlus.

I preordered my copy of FFIV Complete. So I hope my order looks like that. I hate it when others get the perks. I can't wait to play it again one more time. Only this time I'll finally get to play 'The After Years'. My dream finally came true.
burntlettuce

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
The US version of Tactics Ogre came with tarot cards? Now I feel cheated.

The gameplay is going to be hit or miss with a lot of people. I know quite a few people don't understand that the gameplay isn't going to be like Persona and the likes. I personally like weird puzzle games like that, but I know a lot of people don't.

But I am really excite for Catherine because I love the atmosphere, characters and overall story progression that goes with these games. Very few games can tell such a mature story as they do and as well as they do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3