• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ginga Kikōtai Majestic Prince (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhyono

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote

Ginga Kikōtai Majestic Prince (TV)

Plot: We don't have one posted yet and I don't think I know enough about it to write one.

Episode 1

I gave this one a chance based on the picture, rather than the title, and I'm liking it so far. I enjoy Miyuki Sawashiro being in it, and was especially amused by the sucker scene.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that was kinda boring. The beginning and ending parts were okay but seems like the plot so far is quite boring and stale. The mecha designs are also lack a bit of uniqueness in my opinion. Oh and some of the characters' designs looks lame, nothing special or particularly stood out with them.

This was not as good as I had thought it'd be. The action scenes were kinda meh to me as well. Overall, meh pilot episode although I hope it can pull something of a surprise soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

It was an alright first episode, the biggest thing I have to take not of is that the details seem to be so fine that I probably should only watch this as in high quality videos. The majestic robot fights looked rather impressive, even if the character designs seem to have a rather dated, you could tell who were the main characters based on their designs over the bland faces of other characters.

The story seems a little rocky, although there may be a reason in series. Like why would they spoiler[choose to send out Rabbit team when they have the lowest scores? A group of kids that had not flown those models yet]. How come did they have spoiler[the firepower power to scare off a fleet]? How could they spoiler[miss so many people for evacuation]? I assume a space station couldspoiler[ keep a good record of who is on-board it, and give appropriate data for evacuations].

And there is Miyuki Sawashiro as Commander Suzukaze, big fan of her lately so it has that. Other than that I kind of like the character Tamaki Irie so far.
Noctis313

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
this animation is soooooooo weird...its like gundam seed but... weird
history seems kinda childlike,i didn't like it
not following up this one
whos the prince from the title anyway?
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
The reason I watched this was the fact that the way the characters looked and moved was kind of unique. It kind of looked a little like stuff from the early 80s, like the Terra E movie and Crusher Joe. The story was pretty dumb though (let's intentionally spoiler[throw our shitty training pilots into real combat, and then they singlehandedly knock the pants off the enemy and make them retreat]). Another major detractor for me is that the mechs are CG. Probably not sticking with this one.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:01 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing the commander guy is the protagonist's dad and the kid doesn't know it or the guy is just all knowing and knew it'd work out. I have a copyright on both of those ideas; no one try to steal them.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

The story seems a little rocky, although there may be a reason in series. Like why would they spoiler[choose to send out Rabbit team when they have the lowest scores? A group of kids that had not flown those models yet].

spoiler[ Cannon fodder. No, seriously. They wanted the Bunnies to get shot down and be enough of a distraction until the actual military force could get there and evac the people. Sadly, that back fired as our "Hero" opted to stay and fight. ]

I'm betting it was a set-up and a test at the same time because if you note Simon's face at the end of the episode, he cracked a smile.
casualfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Nice first episode. I like the action sequences but the character design takes some getting used to. I like the mecha design too, and the whole DNA concept, which neatly gives the supernatural edge to the characters. Basically even though they lack the skills and experience, they make it up with their amazing genes or something like that.

This is definitely a super robot type of show where getting fired up equals ultimate victory. Definitely not the serious real robot type like Gundam.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, going in I felt it would be more like a Nadesico based on what I saw of the preview, the type of tone and feeling it exuded.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I really hated the character designs (and the characters themselves, for that matter), but strangely I liked the action scenes quite well. I'm going to give one more episode a chance before officially striking it from my simulcast list, but I doubt even Sawashiro Miyuki will be able to save this one for me.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
not sure how I feel about the character designs, but I really liked the episode. those were some pretty cool actions sequences. I don't watch a lot of mecha anime, but i think I'll stick with this one
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm the only one who loves the character design. It has a feel and look of older anime. Though it does not blend well with the background all that well at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
heh, spoiler[niconico] still exists 97 years in the future. so not much happened, though the three letter organizations were explained a bit, along with how the mechs work and more of the big boobed head mechanic. I like her
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand all the character design dislike flowing around this one. Can anyone explain, in detail, why they don't like it? Feel free to message me, if you don't want to reply here. I really would like to know. I think they are good and different from most others I have seen and I've liked them since 2001 when I watched S-cry-ed. Later I saw Infinite Ryvius(1999) and still liked them.

I'm not really a mecha afficionado but have seen a few that I quite liked(Zone of the Enders, especially) and I found nothing objectionable about these and haven't seen designs too similar to them before.

I'm just going to wait to find out why the main characters were chosen, despite being the lowest ranked(because they have the most room for improvement?) students. In fact, I'm glad the first episode was not an info dump. I much prefer it when they take some time and care.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:29 am Reply with quote
I just think the character designs feel a little dated, a bit too classical. I can't really give specifics though, but I it ain't show breaking.

As for why they were chosen. Well one theory I hear from some is that spoiler[they were meant to be martyrs, that they were meant to die. In my opinion the guy with the visor has acted rather strange to them succeeding like they did, as if they were not meant to get attention like they have]. Although I can't quite see a reason yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6