• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chihayafuru (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote

Chihayafuru & Chihayafuru 2

Genres: slice of life
Themes: card games, karuta

Plot Summary: Chihaya Ayase is a frank and ebullient girl who becomes fascinated by the obscure world of competitive karuta, a card game based on Japanese poetry. Introduced to the aggressive style of the game by a quiet and thoughtful elementary school classmate named Arata Wataya, the two quickly become close friends. They start playing as a group with Taichi Mashima, Chihaya's smart and athletic childhood friend, until they have to part ways during their middle school years due to several circumstances. As their high school life begins, they meet once again.
----------------------------------

Season 2 discussion

----------------------------------

A josei based on an award-winning manga.
This story follows high school girl Chihaya Ayase. Her dream is to see her sister become a topmodel. However, a classmate inspires her to get her own dream: playing karuta.

Episode 1
Well, that was a good start, nice episode. It's hard to get excited over a series about a card game, but I get the feeling that this series isn't primarily about the game itself, or will play around it with some mature themes. The first episode only sets up the story so far mentioned in the synopsis, so it's a bit hard to see where it's heading. There are some hints at drama: spoiler[Taichi's probably jealous of Arata?] and spoiler[Ayase's loneliness]. I liked the music and overall look of this anime.

This series is streaming on Crunchyroll.

Last edited by A Mystery on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:52 pm; edited 4 times in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:43 am Reply with quote
This is directed by Morio Asaka who gave us Gunslinger Girl, Chobits and Mermaid's Scar. I'm kind of hoping for something with more of an edgy undercurrent but it's good enough to keep persevering with. The young Chihaya reminds me of Ai Tanabe from Planetes and, wow, what a difference three years makes.

Being from a josei manga it probably isn't aimed for people like me but, at least, it's one of the things from the current season I can watch legally from Australia.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious to see how the series plays out. I've never heard of karuta before (unless it's different from that card game people play during New Years).

Either way, it's not a Japanese custom/game I'm familiar with. At all. And this anime is a great introduction to me and possibly to others about karuta. Heh, kinda like Hikaru no Go taught me all about playing Go since nobody I knew how to.

I'll be sticking with this series till the end. It also kind reminds me of the manga March Comes in Like a Lion. Written by Chika Umino who did Honey & Clover. The series is slice of life around the game of shōgi and a boy and 3 sisters--although it doesn't teach me about it that well, lol. Kinda hope this series gets an anime adaption as well once it finishes.
killmyself

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
The karuta scenes are a turnoff I liked basically everything else about the first episode. Scenes taking a poetry verse finishing card game seriously just aren't enjoyable or entertaining to me.

It is kind of surprising that some anime fans didn't know what karuta is they have scenes where it is being played in a decent amount of anime shows. They never really explain it in other shows but it is pretty obvious what they are doing. Faiga it is the card game people play on new years.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:48 am Reply with quote
Hey, that first episode was pretty nice. I like the look of the show so far and the character designs are nice. It sets up what I guess is the three main characters, a bit of their backgrounds and personalities. I think its a good start. I think as long as they don't make the show about the game, but instead keep the focus on the characters it could turn into a really good series. I'm definitely going to stay around to watch this one.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:16 am Reply with quote
Surprisingly I enjoyed the first episode of this series. It did not seem like something that I would like, but I will most likely follow the this series until the end. Depending on what the focus is going to be this could be one of the top five shows for the season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
4750G

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:28 am Reply with quote
I didn't think I'd like this one because I'm not familiar with karuta but I enjoyed the first episode. Now I'm curious as to what happened in those three years between meeting Arata and high school. This show I think I'll stick with until the end; I want to see what direction it will take. I also have this feeling of familiarity while I watched the episode; it reminds me of something I can't put my finger on.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:44 am Reply with quote
This was one of the Fall series I was most anticipating, can't really remember why other than it being directed by Morio Asaka.

I watched the first episode and was pleased with the animation and all it needs to do is wow me a little bit story-wise since one would have underestimated expectations for an anime about karuta.
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Enjoyed the first episode except for them playing Karuta. Found that to be quite boring. As long as that doesn't become the main theme of the show, I'll be sticking around. I'm interested in Ayase's story and what the last 3 years has been like.
naninanino

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:50 am Reply with quote
Nosferatu21 wrote:
Enjoyed the first episode except for them playing Karuta. Found that to be quite boring. As long as that doesn't become the main theme of the show, I'll be sticking around. I'm interested in Ayase's story and what the last 3 years has been like.

Complete opposite for me. I've seen enough school shows in my life and have absolutely no interest in seeing them reminisence about their boring lives in boring places. Bring on the games or get out of my sight, I say.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:00 am Reply with quote
The game seems really basic and it doesn't seem like there is much skill to it. All you need is fast reflexes and to memorise a mere one hundred poems, which isn't hard; there are more variations of chess openings for example.

However, the game itself being weak is the only flaw I can think of in this (so far at least) good-looking, well-written and engaging show. I will definitely give it another two episodes and re-evaluate from there. I don't think it'll be especially great but it looks like it could well be worth watching.

We'll see.
Botan24

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:02 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The game seems really basic and it doesn't seem like there is much skill to it. All you need is fast reflexes and to memorise a mere one hundred poems, which isn't hard; there are more variations of chess openings for example.

That's how I feel about karuta too. But I pride myself on my fabulous memory so this show is right up my alley. And not just because of the game. I love the fact that the three main characters, Chihaya, Taichi, and Wataya, are being developed right away. There's nothing I enjoy more than three dimensional characters. Smile Overall, I love everything else about it, including the voice actor who plays Taichi as a grade schooler(is it the same one who does his high school voice?). I probably don't have to say this, but I will be tuning in for more.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I have a photographic memory so I'd probably suck at karuta. You need to remember the actual words and associate them with what you hear, there's nothing visual about it.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I loved the first two episodes. This is my favorite show of the season!

The drama is so well-handled. Everything that happens is very down to Earth, and the characters don't over-react (except Taichi, who is a jerk).
Camiru Mylle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:26 am Reply with quote
Ehe:)
The show is good even so I prefer the manga but the anime came out really well it was very good..I'd like to see more cool battles like in Hikaru no Go..it really reminds me of that:)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 16