• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Remember the Titans

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dop.L

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:48 am Reply with quote
I was SO annoyed that they pulled the plug on Nodame Cantabile just short of the ending.
Although admittedly it's one of those cases where the anime scores over the manga because it has music (although mostly in the first and third season, the second season skimped on the musical side, sadly) I enjoyed it and felt horribly cheated they dropped it with the finish line in sight.
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No one's allowed to use their bankai ability?

Guess what our smart heroes do? Seriously, guess what
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I had no idea the Attack on Titan manga was being published in English. After watching the first episode of the anime today I started reading crappy scanlations assuming it hadn't been licensed. I have to go get some official volumes.

Speaking of which, I was kind of surprised at how bad the artwork is in the chapters I read. Does it improve at all?
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote
There wasn't a time jump, it was a flashback to Eren's previous training during the five years. spoiler[So several of the people in question are already dead.]
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Speaking of which, I was kind of surprised at how bad the artwork is in the chapters I read. Does it improve at all?

It becomes more polished but it never looks very manga-like.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Honestly it really annoys me that Kodansha won't finish Nodame Cantabile.

I understand it wasn't a good seller but it really is a slap in the face to the people who did buy the series.

I admit maybe I don't understand how these things work but is print on demand in these situations totally out of the question?
roseversailles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Now I'm really interested in picking Nodame Cantabile up. I remember back when it came out and was advertised, but I never picked up a copy. I will now! It sounds a bit more focused on music than La Corda or Kanon (which became devoted to romance and drama), which is hard to find in the world of anime and manga, so here's hoping...!
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Nodame Cantabile(manga AND anime) has a severe and sad lack of love.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
And what is Tomoyo Ninomiya doing now? A manga about overclocking computers! (Clockers)

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I guess the difference between not enough action and too much action is half a letter grade. B-/ C+

heehee.

Someone should talk to Mr. Kleckner(TRSI) about those last Nodame Cantabile volumes since he's doing that print-on-demand thing. Seems like a perfect candidate.
partially

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Looks at the sad 16 volumes of Nodame on the shelf....:shakes: fist at world. Sad

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Honestly it really annoys me that Kodansha won't finish Nodame Cantabile.

To be honest it is perfectly reasonable that they aren't. It had been ages since a release by the time Kodansha popped up, a lot of people had given up on it finishing. So really it would just be a money drain to do the last bunch of volumes, since they would have lower sales than even those final couple of volumes released. To have any sort of chance of selling Kodansha would have to reprint the first 16 volumes, and I don't see that happening.

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I admit maybe I don't understand how these things work but is print on demand in these situations totally out of the question?

I think the major problem with print-on-demand is that they just don't sell. People generally only buy things if they see it on a shelf or it's instock and will get to them quickly. POD books are rarely stocked in book stores, and will often list 4-6 weeks shipping online. Sales are generally pretty pitiful. I can't think of a single particularly successful example of a POD book. Feel free to give examples if there are some though, I would love to hear of them!
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quote
And the critics rave for the newest installment of Bleach!

"Oh, no, here we go again... [No] brilliant plot twists or eye-popping moments..." Carlo Santos.

It seems to me that by reading the negative blurb only, any reader can get the gist of any RTO review.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:05 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:

I think the major problem with print-on-demand is that they just don't sell. People generally only buy things if they see it on a shelf or it's instock and will get to them quickly. POD books are rarely stocked in book stores, and will often list 4-6 weeks shipping online. Sales are generally pretty pitiful. I can't think of a single particularly successful example of a POD book. Feel free to give examples if there are some though, I would love to hear of them!

Why would print on demand be in book stores in the first place? You are printing only what is demanded not having extra to sell in book stores.

Print on Demand works well for niche products like this. It would only be a way to finish the series for people who already collected the early volumes. It would be a nice gesture on Kodansha's part. They might not make much money but at least they would not be losing money.

Of course the main issue is Nodame is not the only series left unfinished and trying to do this with so many series might be too much of a hassle.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
Thank you for shedding some light on Assassination Classroom! I've seen it pop up a few times and had assumed it was a Death Note clone (it reminded me of one of the fake mangas in Bakuman), but it sounds so much better than that. I don't think it would fit into *Viz's* version of Shonen Jump too well, though. They don't like gag manga or excessive violence. Wonder what its chances are...

I want to remind everybody that the first season of the Nodame Cantabille anime is available legally streaming via Crackle, complete with a delightful dub. But like its manga counterpart, it's not complete because seasons 2&3 are inexplicably absent. *sigh*

As a Bleach completist, it was actually nice to see Nell again, although I still think the Vandenreich are dumb villains with a fittingly dumb name. Well, at least the plot's moving again in some form. (Especially since spoiler[some major characters die.])
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I want to remind everybody that the first season of the Nodame Cantabille anime is available legally streaming via Crackle, complete with a delightful dub. But like its manga counterpart, it's not complete because seasons 2&3 are inexplicably absent. *sigh*

Animax Asia only aired seasons 2 & 3 subtitled. Guess Sony didn't feel like ponying up for the cost of the dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2