• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Wandering Son

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
This was an excellent read! Great manga, great article.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
No words can express the joy I got out of reading this article, thank you so much for this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Jason Thompson wrote:
I couldn't find a single review from someone familiar with TG issues but unfamiliar with manga; maybe that's a good sign of how well-accepted manga has become?

Or maybe it's a sign of how obscure manga is? I'm pretty sure none of my trans friends (okay, the ones that I know are trans) have ever heard of Wandering Son in either manga or anime form.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Petrea Mitchell wrote:
Jason Thompson wrote:
I couldn't find a single review from someone familiar with TG issues but unfamiliar with manga; maybe that's a good sign of how well-accepted manga has become?

Or maybe it's a sign of how obscure manga is? I'm pretty sure none of my trans friends (okay, the ones that I know are trans) have ever heard of Wandering Son in either manga or anime form.

Yeah, that's the alternate explanation! Wink I prefer to think that everyone is just "Wandering Son... trans manga... it's all cool" rather than just not having heard of it.
kexxshadow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Whenever I read something about trans people by someone who's not trans or at the very least queer, I suddenly am reminded how far behind cis people tend to be with how trans people are referred to.

Even if Jason normally refers to the characters by their actual pronouns, there's no excuse for not using them in this article because most cis people don't realize transgender women=women and transgender men=men is kind of BS.

Transgender and transsexual are used interchangeably at this point, but generally people prefer the term transgender, because of baggage that comes with the word transsexual.

Also, "transgendered" is not an actual word(though they do use this word in the translation so I can be more forgiving of it's use here but it still is just a weird word to see.).
trilaan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Excellent, excellent article. I loved it and your views on the subject make me happy. I am somewhat gender dysphoric(some distance shy of looking for that sexual reassignment surgery, however) and this article, in my opinion, is suitable for framing. You know what? I just might.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Ever since watching the Anime I've been curious about this Manga. The Anime sort of stuffs things up by starting in a weird place, and its last two episodes were badly affected by the 2011 earthquake. But the show was so impressive otherwise - and I mean really impressive - that it made me yearn to check out the Manga. I have a feeling that it isn't an easy Manga to read, and many of the scenes detailed in this article (especially the bullying) sound like they'd be very uncomfortable to sit through. But man, the superb quality of the storytelling is what beckons to me.

One other thing. Saori was my favourite character in the Anime. She exemplifies the phrase "passive aggressive bitch" better than any character I've ever seen, and she was fascinating to watch.
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I have enjoyed this manga not because of its theme, but because it's a well written story. (The same reason I enjoy A Bride's Story.) The problem I have is with the art. I'm constantly referring back to the front of the manga to remind myself who a character is supposed to be.
Bablioteca

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
it really is a lovely story, you reminded me to check if the fourth volume is out over here yet.
partially

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the first few volumes of this. However, I found it begins to go somewhat downhill. So many characters are gradually introduced and the story slowly drifts away from the two central characters, to being more just a story about school life. It remains decent, but I found it lost its core theme that made the first few volumes great. Yes I have sneakily been reading ahead Razz

Fanta has finally released the fourth volume? Thanks for reminding me I have to get it.

Last edited by partially on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I only have a few questions about Fantagraphics' release of this:

1. Is it right-to-left?
2. Is it hardcover or paperback?
trilaan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I only have a few questions about Fantagraphics' release of this:

1. Is it right-to-left?
2. Is it hardcover or paperback?

The books are right to left and have, so far, gorgeous hardcovers.
partially

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Yep larger hardcovers, bigger than standard manga. Similar size to the Bride's Story hardcovers if you have come across them. EDIT: scratch that, just compared them, about 1/2 inch taller than Bride's Story so these are pretty big books.

Includes all the colour pages as well.

EDIT: Guess it's easier just to take a photo Wink

Last edited by partially on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mindwraith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
It would have been great if the anime got more traction with the fanbase, but I guess it has an inherently small audience because of the subject matter. It's a shame really, but I'm glad that it got made at all.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I've never read "Wandering Son." But,even if I did,it would be hard to know how to feel about this series. There are boys who like girly stuff and girls who like guy stuff. One of the male characters in the movie "ParaNorman" likes chick flicks. Many reviewers believe that this character was homosexual. That was a nonsensical judgment in my view.
Just because a guy likes chick flicks or girly things or a girl likes boyish things doesn't automatically make that person a homosexual or a lesbian. Ironically enough,another manga has characters like this. I don't remember the title but it's about a guy who's in to girlish things like baking and stuff who's attracted to a girl who's interested in boyish things but is attracted to manly men.

It's hard to know how to feel about this manga. It has behaviors that a lot of people would find pretty darn strange but handles it in an evenhanded way. It's hard to know how to feel about this. As I'm writing this,I'm getting more confused about this than anything. I'd better end this before I get so confused I don't know which way is up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3