• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Consolidates Divisions Under Group 1200 Media Name

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_V_

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
My running guess is that they must be attempting to do some sort of debt reshuffling by splitting their assets between secondary companies.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
As long as it doesn't slow down or delay releases any further, they can do whatever they want...

_V_ wrote:
My running guess is that they must be attempting to do some sort of debt reshuffling by splitting their assets between secondary companies.

FUNimation makes too much money to pull an ADV...
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
As long as it doesn't slow down or delay releases any further, they can do whatever they want...

_V_ wrote:

FUNimation makes too much money to pull an ADV...

@FUNIMATION this is not the end please unblock every other country from the dmca outside United States.
End Chillingeffects.org of google too and Happy Early 20th Anniversary. (19 now lol) now this or removeyourmedia before it's too late.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

Isn't consolidating the exact opposite of splitting up?
Drac

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure they just want to expand into other areas of media besides Japanese animation. You know things they can fully own and make much more revenue from.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
Thought it'd be Group Over 9000..................
jree78

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

My guess would be that they did it to rearrange there companies to gain a better income tax position for next year since taxes are going up on individuals in the top bracket. Depending on how they are structuring things it might shield the owners from high taxes or if there are losses they can pass through to offset personal gains.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:31 am Reply with quote
Have to admit that the first thought that popped up was "Are they pulling a Section 23? Because it sounds like a bit like they did after ADV went under. Yeah, it does seem like a way to restructure the debt & maybe weed out the unprofitable/marginally profitable divisions.

But at least now the live action stuff like Aliens vs. Ninjas will be released under a different publishing label. Also didn't even realize that Funimation had a game division.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:30 am Reply with quote
I imagine the '1200' in "Group 1200 Media" comes from their street address, 1200 Lakeside Pkwy.

Quote:
Funimation also noted it is working to create a more global brand

Is Group 1200 Media going to license animes in other countries?
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:49 am Reply with quote
Yeah I read about this on Japanator. It looks like according to Japanator:

Japanator wrote:
Group 1200 Media plans to release other forms of entertainment besides the usual stuff that FUNimation brings out. Don't think that the FUNi label is going to disappear for good, because they still have plans to use it for their anime releases.

Maybe J-dramas, K-dramas, other Asian dramas. Given the popularity of K-drama/Asian dramas now these day maybe Funimation want to cash in on the success of the Korean Wave. Who knows?? I would like to know what Group 1200 Media is getting that is not anime.

Last edited by mdo7 on Sat May 11, 2013 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jree78

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:15 am Reply with quote
I'm thinking they might go into the independent movie type of business and try to grow that.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
jree78 wrote:
I'm thinking they might go into the independent movie type of business and try to grow that.

Maybe, it would be kinda cool for Funimation if they can picked up J-dramas, K-dramas for US audiences given that Asian dramas popularity is rising along with Korean pop is rising in the US. I can find only a few J-dramas on streaming sites, Funimation could help with that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
My guess is this is why they've been a bit sluggish in the beginning of the year. The move is probably to streamline the process of acquiring live-action material, maybe pulling a Media Blasters and create labels to experiment with genres they wouldn't have considered otherwise, maybe experiment with sub-only releases without running the risk of tarnishing their primary anime label's name.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
It would be cool if they expanded their DVD label into another Shout Factory, Mill Creek, or New Video and release all kinds of different shows, not just foreign material. I thought they did a great job with the first 6 seasons of Degrassi.

Licensing material for other countries? Eh, I'm not sure if that's likely. They'd have to set up offices there, at least I'd imagine so. That's what Viz Media, Tokyopop, 4Kids, and ADV all did for their European branches...
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Maybe J-dramas, K-dramas, other Asian dramas. Given the popularity of K-drama/Asian dramas now these day maybe Funimation want to cash in on the success of the Korean Wave.

Or the possibility to release out sub only anime without harming Funimation's reputation on dubbed anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3