• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! Toy Sales Down

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:37 pm Reply with quote
It seems like they listed Yu-Gi-Oh under "games and puzzles" . . . so does that mean there weren't any noticable changes in things like action figures? Or am I reading something wrong?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Hi no Neko wrote:
so does that mean there weren't any noticable changes in things like action figures? Or am I reading something wrong?

Reading things wrong.

Yu-gi-oh! was listed under entertainment, which includes "games and puzzles."

The decrease refelcts all their Yu-Gi-Oh! merchandise, which, I believe, is all Yu-Gi-Oh! merchandise released in North America (exclusing imports).

-t
Laruto

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I Knew this was going to happen, 60% of Companies always do bad in the 1st and 3rd Quarters I think 4th Quarter will be different since its christmas and its shopping season.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:51 pm Reply with quote
That's kind of "well, duh" on their financial statement; I mean, I get the general idea that the franchise peaked in North America around 2002. I know the ratings for the TV show are okay, by non-Nickelodeon standards, but aren't nearly as strong as they were a couple of years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bobobobobobobo
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:02 am Reply with quote
histroy is repeating itself...every new fad is like this. first it was pokemon...
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:16 pm Reply with quote
bobobobobobobo wrote:
histroy is repeating itself...every new fad is like this. first it was pokemon...

Actually... Pokemon is still doing pretty good.

Well, 4Kids is losing their only real franchise now, so... *counts down to their inevitable demise*
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:13 am Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
bobobobobobobo wrote:

Actually... Pokemon is still doing pretty good.

Well, 4Kids is losing their only real franchise now, so... *counts down to their inevitable demise*

What do you expect of a company that has not capitalized and expanded it's business from it's core holdings?

They abruptly canceled Untranslated DVD's without warning and without giving a valid explanation, they didn't pull a massive marketing blitz on One Piece, only relying on a Manga (which is done by a second-party), a card game, and a Video Game, and their handling of One Piece is like the Goverment response to Hurricane Katrina.

Their other properties aren't showing any better. Tokyo Mew Mew....excuse me, "Mew Mew Power" only has a Manga to rely upon, WINX Club has three books, and is a blantant rip-off of W*I*T*C*H, and Sonic X has 2 comics produced by Archie Comics. And some video games or such.....
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:39 am Reply with quote
Laruto wrote:
I Knew this was going to happen, 60% of Companies always do bad in the 1st and 3rd Quarters I think 4th Quarter will be different since its christmas and its shopping season.
That will depend on if the Christmas shoppers actually buy their Yu-Gi-Oh merchandice. Many companies are worried this will be a sparse Christmas season with many shoppers just concentrating on the usual core gifts and cutting back on those as well. Also like was stated it's on the other side of the popularity hill. I know my lot got bored with it just as fast as Beyblades. But they still play with their Pokémon games and toys. Wink
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Pokémon has the advantage of having characters who are very stuffed-toy friendly.

I suspect merchandising fad cartoons that have stuffed-toys as an important part of their overall merchandising campaign have a far more enduring popularity life-cycle than merchandising fad cartoons where the merchandise is mainly just action-figures and card games. Why? Cuteness. Cuteness sells better in the long term (the "Hello Kitty Factor" basically).

Pikachu is cuddly.

Those Yu-Gi-Oh creatures... not so much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1