• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: WB Drops Weekday Kids

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Gee, this sound familiar. Kind of interesting how KidsWB dropped their weekday lineup on the same month Fox Kids dropped their weekday lineup in 2002 (I think). What's next? Anything not from 4Kids gets sold to ABC Family?

Anyways, are the ratings during the weekdays so low that KidsWB decided to drop it? Does this mean that Fox is winning the battle (or maybe Cartoon Network) or are kids actually doing something else besides watching TV after school? If it's the latter, then there is still hope.

Last edited by Rªdì¢âl_£Ð on Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Yuck! This is bad. In a matter of a couple years, we've gone from several weekday blocks w/ anime to none. What makes them think this is such a good idea?

Expanding to 7AM isn't a good thing. All of my guilty pleasure shows (Jackie Chan, Mew Mew Power, Shinzo) are on too early in the morning as it is already. If you want to expand, expand the back end.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
If you want to expand, expand the back end.

And take up valuable infomercial space? Never!

It is rather unfortunate that we've lost all of the afternoon kid shows on network television (Fox and then WB being the last two). All that's left are the cable cartoon channels (Nick, CN, Toon Disney) which is a bummer for kids in homes that don't have cable.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Laruto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:

It is rather unfortunate that we've lost all of the afternoon kid shows on network television (Fox and then WB being the last two). All that's left are the cable cartoon channels (Nick, CN, Toon Disney) which is a bummer for kids in homes that don't have cable.

Emerje

But you know what Thank God for PBS it's the only one standing on local tele that shows cartoons for kids now on Weekdays, Post Cards from Buster will be the next big thing I bet my finger nail clippings on it. LOL!
Laruto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

That's true; you know what would be good, if 4kids TV expands an hour too, But from 8am-1pm on SAT. However from the 12pm-1pm time period showcase higher demo programming like what toonami does. I mean 4Kids TV has a girls block from 8am-9am, and a boys block from 9am-12pm so why not try to tackle teens from 12pm-1pm; but instead combining the older shows with the younger ones with the name 4Kids TV; give the block for older demo its own name like Banzai or something! that would kick so much a's. But I know you guys know alot about programming and demo stuff even SAT standards so do you think that it is possible to happen or does the Kids demo 6-11 run throughout the whole SAT day?
CaptainRisu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:53 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

being a kid who grew up without cable tv, that does suck. i was a tv junkie then, and i still am now, and i remember some of the boring stuff network tv had.... don't take away the kid's cartoons!! it's all they have to look foreward too.

that and maury.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:15 am Reply with quote
Looks like we're going the days of old when network channels that aired cartoon shows back in the days started dropping them from their networks.

Being a child of the 70's I remember channels like CBS and NBC having cartoon shows. Then suddenly those channels began to illiminate shows rom their stations. CBS slowly became an all news channel. NBC just eventally stopped having anything. Even up until now. They tried during the 80's to air stuff. 'Spiderman's Amazing Friends' was on that station. Later on, nothing. Except for those teen shows like 'Saved by the Bell', etc...Things did get a little better. ABC is run by Disney with all of their stuff and everything else they can muster. Fox and WPIX main stations for prime-time and delivering animated shows during the 80's up until now. The only 2 that are not cable affiliated.

So what are they going to replace it with? News all day, Current Affair, Texas Justice all day? Rolling Eyes

Could the ratings for afternoon shows be down?

Well, looks like kids are going to have to get their shows elsewhere. Course there is CN, Nick and a few others possibly. I mean CN/Toonami plays Yu-Gi-Oh over there. So it's a bit redundant. Same with 'TT' when they were airing it on Kid's WB. They change up so much so quickly. Too many shows. I had already predicted that one day 'Pokemon' would join the fray and possibly end up on CN/Toonami. Looks like it could happening.

Hopefully, there's a solution in the works.
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I had already predicted that one day 'Pokemon' would join the fray and possibly end up on CN/Toonami. Looks like it could happening.

^^; Pokemon actually did play on CN a while back...

Hm...well, this does kinda force 4Kids to hold back on their release schedule...instead of the whole "new episodes every weekday followed by six months of reruns" thing. I mean, sure I feel bad for the kids, but this doesn't let 4Kids completely waste out a show's popularity as soon as possible, as happened with Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh...
Aokage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:22 am Reply with quote
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð wrote:
Gee, this sound familiar. Kind of interesting how KidsWB dropped their weekday lineup on the same month Fox Kids dropped their weekday lineup in 2002

Actually it was September of 2001 when Fox stopped airing a weekday block of childrens programming. I remember this because despite having turned 18 on September 11th, I was still an advocate of watching afternoon cartoons Razz Anyways, I remember for about a week straight, all channels showed the twin towers 24 hours a day (networks that is). After they finally ended the coverage on that, I expected things to go back to normal, but instead, Fox had taken on UPN's programming (in California at least). Once all programming got back to normal, I just noticed that there were no more afternoon cartoons. I'd probably bank more on it being the fact that children don't watch as many cartoons. Maybe the young ones do...but they all watch Sesame Street, Dora the Explorer, Kim Possible, Blues Clues etc etc. All the cartoons that aren't on non cable television. This is the age of video games anyways. It would be a miracle if children knew that television had another purpose than allowing them to play Playstion 2.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:

Tell that to CBS, ABC, and maybe even NBC, all of whom have blocks that go past noon. Now, I know that the Big 3 aren't necessarily as profitable as WB and Fox, but if they're able to do it with some modicum of sucess, then who's to argue?

Fox straddles the line, since what comes after 4Kids TV normally is baseball stuff, which is generally kid-friendly, despite not being cartoons.
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually it was September of 2001 when Fox stopped airing a weekday block of childrens programming. I remember this because despite having turned 18 on September 11th, I was still an advocate of watching afternoon cartoons Razz Anyways, I remember for about a week straight, all channels showed the twin towers 24 hours a day (networks that is). After they finally ended the coverage on that, I expected things to go back to normal, but instead, Fox had taken on UPN's programming (in California at least). Once all programming got back to normal, I just noticed that there were no more afternoon cartoons.

Yeah, I remembered that. But I think they offically dropped it in January 2002. For Jersey after they stopped covering 9-11 24-7, I believe that just extended their early afternoon block while UPN got their weekday lineup. Then ABC Family got most of the shows on the entire block when Fox Kids became the Fox Box.
Nightfall

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:06 pm Reply with quote
My understanding for this change, the FCC is currently changing the rules to cut out more commericals during the afternoons. In an effort to get more money, and also get around the "You can't show ads for the shows and their products!" from the FCC, they are dropping their afternoon stuff.

Do I think this is fair? No but then welcome to 2005, the year we all get screwed by close minded people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Tell that to CBS, ABC, and maybe even NBC, all of whom have blocks that go past noon. Now, I know that the Big 3 aren't necessarily as profitable as WB and Fox, but if they're able to do it with some modicum of sucess, then who's to argue?

Maybe in your market, but not in mine (save for one). Here in Maine we have two CBSs, one shows an hour of preschool cartoons, two hours of news and then two more hours of preschool cartoons all ending by noon on Saturday (followed by adult shows like Market Watch and gardening). The other starts with 2 hours of news and then does 4 hours of preschool cartoons still ending at noon. We have two NBCs, both show news until 9am and then kid friendly live shows (no cartoons) until noon (then news again followed by infomercials). We have two ABCs, One shows news until 9am and then does show kids shows until 1pm, but only 3 of the shows are cartoons. The other ABC shows the exact same things, but cuts off at noon with infomercials leaving only 2 cartoons for the morning. Also worth mentioning is that one of the state Fox affiliates cuts off at 11:30am. And if you don't have cable and you're getting the crappy versions of these channels then you're really out of luck.

Quote:
Fox straddles the line, since what comes after 4Kids TV normally is baseball stuff, which is generally kid-friendly, despite not being cartoons.

Mine used to show sport shows, now they do a bunch of PSA type shows, usually kids talking about sex and pier pressure, you know, the type of stuff that nobody watches unless their parents make them.

Anyway, the point is, for kids that don't have cable their cartoon options are becoming fewer and fewer. It's no wonder kids today think cartoons are only for little kids if that's all they're exposed to. When I was a kid I got satalite when I was 11, before that we had the bare basics, ABC, NBC, and CBS. Our antenna couldn't pick up FOX, and UPN and WB didn't exist yet. When NBC decided to stop showing cartoons it felt like the end of the world (hey, when you're a kid every bad thing feels like the end of the world).

Ok, I'm starting to stray.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:51 pm Reply with quote
CaptainRisu wrote:

being a kid who grew up without cable tv, that does suck.

Tell me about it. Before I got the DirecTV installed, 17 years without cable. 17 long years. We just had CBS(13), ABC(17), NBC(8), some Chirsten Channel(25) that I was lucky enough to show some of, back then, new Disney Cartoon shows (DarkWing Duck, Tail Spin, Chip and Dale, Alladin, Bonkers) and before that, some Super Mario Hour and others that I can't remember. PBS(6) was too far out to pick up anything. Atleast now we got a FOX(I think it's 38) station. Too little, too late.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, Emerje, I do live in Philadelphia. I could list off the TV Guide if you want me too, but I'd rather not.

[Random fact: Philadelphia was the biggest market to pick up Wheel of Fortune when it was originally put into syndication. Guess that worked out, huh?]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2