• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Flowers of Evil Blu-ray/DVD Delayed Until Further Notice

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
There's some question as to whether or not this was, as they said it was, a defect with the quality of the release or if it had to do with the low sales, like many people are speculating. Considering they already made the discs, I highly doubt they decided to just not release them. But I am interested in what kind of defect it was. None of the people who have gotten the discs so far have said anything about the quality of the release...
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Juno, last I heard about the pre-order numbers for FoE, it was somewhere around the 50s on Niconico (huh? What does Niconico have to do with blu-ray pre-order numbers?). Do you have a better idea of how things might really be for this show, financially? I just wonder how much success they'd expect or "need," if any (besides critical acclaim, how much could they have been expecting?), to get a second season done. You seem to be on top of this sort of thing, so if you do have any educated guesses...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
What 'critical acclaim'?
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Exercise some logic people. If the creators were concerned abut BD/DVD sales, what stopped them from going the cookie cutter/moe style and sell, what do you fancy, 2500-3000 discs? NOTHING.

The rage, the hate from the moe and thus basically the gross of the hardcore fans = buyers, was anticipated, it was talked about and was addressed and yet the anime as envisioned by the director was given the GO...
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
What 'critical acclaim'?

Go to ANN's main page. Scroll down while looking at the right column.

I've sometimes wondered if there are any series that have sold more copies in the US than Japan. I think AnH might just manage that.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
-deleted for misinformation-

Last edited by Juno016 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
WTK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote
http://akunohana-anime.jp/20130724_1.html

New release date for v1 has been announced. It's August 21st.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Animerican14 wrote:
Juno, last I heard about the pre-order numbers for FoE, it was somewhere around the 50s on Niconico (huh? What does Niconico have to do with blu-ray pre-order numbers?). Do you have a better idea of how things might really be for this show, financially? I just wonder how much success they'd expect or "need," if any (besides critical acclaim, how much could they have been expecting?), to get a second season done. You seem to be on top of this sort of thing, so if you do have any educated guesses...

Wow. Thanks for asking me to actually research this stuff. Holy crap, people are way off base. Look here for the last updated pre-ordered sales numbers from Amazon alone:

If you don't know Japanese:
--The first column is the numbers for last known pre-order sales (this whole chart is restricted to Spring anime whose 1st volumes/sets have not released yet--aside from Aiura, Railgun S and Aku no Hana are the only significant ones on the list, noteable by their sales numbers).
--The second column shows whether it's a BD, DVD, or special box (★ is BD, the circle is DVD, and the double circle is the special box).
--The third column shows accumulated points earned so far from members buying the product. Note that higher point numbers with lower pre-order sales tend to mean that most people have already received their copy, but pre-ordered products are still shipping out.
--The fourth column is the Nico sales number, showcasing how many sales on Amazon came from Nicodouga.
--The fifth and sixth column are, obviously, release date and the title of the product. Aku no Hana just lost its true release date, so the 2222/02/22 is a placeholder.

Meaning Aku no Hana has pre-order sales that reach about 16,000 units for the BD and 52,000 units for the DVD, including the Nico sales. Pretty average, I'd say, and definitely not a financial failure, though it's far from a crazy success.

Just goes to prove that we need to do our research and not just believe what news sources say, even if their words are true. They just end up leaving out the actual numbers.

Now I'm going to quote this post and post it on the Aku no Hana review topic...

Umm you're completely reading it wrong. Its ranked 16,000 on Amazon among home videos on Blu Ray, and 52,000 on DVD... which is absolutely terrible. For the BD, the 606 number is the projected sales, and for DVD the 265 number is the projected sales. So it'll likely sell under 1,000, which would make it one of the 4 worst sellers of the season (Only Crime Edge, Hayate and Arata have sold under 1k).

If it really sold 68k first week, that would possibly be the best selling TV anime first week since they started to record sales numbers.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Umm you're completely reading it wrong. Its ranked 16,000 on Amazon among home videos on Blu Ray, and 52,000 on DVD... which is absolutely terrible. For the BD, the 606 number is the projected sales, and for DVD the 265 number is the projected sales. So it'll likely sell under 1,000, which would make it one of the 4 worst sellers of the season (Only Crime Edge, Hayate and Arata have sold under 1k).

If it really sold 68k first week, that would possibly be the best selling TV anime first week since they started to record sales numbers.

Ugh. On second look, I was being hasty. You're right. I think I should take it down before I cause misunderstandings. My mistake...

Animerican14 wrote:

Ryan's assessment is on the bullet. I gave in to my hasty side and went with assumptions on my own behalf, ignoring whatever I couldn't read with my phone. I'm no know-it-all after all. =P
But yes. They would have to have generally profitable sales in order to consider a second season. If it costs about 11,000,000 yen per episode to make, then the first volume would have to sell about 4,000 (2 episodes) or 6,000 (3 episodes) volumes to break even, and even more to make a profit. It would have to make about twice that to be an enticing enough offer for a sequel to the marketers. Aku no Hana won't have what it takes.

Last edited by Juno016 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Go to ANN's main page. Scroll down while looking at the right column.

What ANN says has zero relevance to the Japanese otaku market. I was thinking of the reception in Japan, which has been pretty much negative.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Out of curiousity, since it's been posted, why does the chart make it look like A Certain Scientific Railgun S is selling both fantastic and poorly? Is it that most of the fanbase wants the super-duper premium edition on Blu-Ray and are completely ignoring the regular editions, especially on DVD?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
What's up with home video replication recently! On both sides of the ocean!

Utsuro no Hako wrote:

I've sometimes wondered if there are any series that have sold more copies in the US than Japan. I think AnH might just manage that.

It's not anime but it's not unheard of: Akira Kurosawa films traditionally sell better in the West than in Japan.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Out of curiousity, since it's been posted, why does the chart make it look like A Certain Scientific Railgun S is selling both fantastic and poorly? Is it that most of the fanbase wants the super-duper premium edition on Blu-Ray and are completely ignoring the regular editions, especially on DVD?

First column is its Amazon sales rank (current/previous). Lower is better. Railgun is sitting at number 22, which is pretty damn good.

The next column is sales points, which is the predicted number of units sold. Railgun is at 13k for its BD, Aku no Hana is at 606. So higher is better.

The next column is Pre-orders through NicoNico Douga, which is largely meaningless and can be ignored.

As for the DVD version, yes DVD versions almost always sell incredibly poorly, and more and more series aren't even being released on DVD at all.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

There was an issue on Amazon where they didn't merge the originally announced edition of Railgun and the new official edition... so the one at the bottom are the points the original version accumulated (and is no longer preorderable), while the one at the top is the current edition. So basically, it'll sell well, probably 12-16k range.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:44 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Exercise some logic people. If the creators were concerned abut BD/DVD sales, what stopped them from going the cookie cutter/moe style and sell, what do you fancy, 2500-3000 discs? NOTHING.

The rage, the hate from the moe and thus basically the gross of the hardcore fans = buyers, was anticipated, it was talked about and was addressed and yet the anime as envisioned by the director was given the GO...

Trolling doesn't pay the bills though, and there's apparently no "silent majority" willing to buy the discs to reward the creators for angering the otaku crowd.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3