• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: MangaGamer Announces Five New Titles at Otakon

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Kudos to MangaGamer for their continued success in the visual novel market. I hope their ventures continue to be fruitful.

Also, I'm kinda wishing Boob Wars had a kookier title.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I kinda wish Mangagamer could get VNs that are actually legit.

Like...something like Hoshizora no Memoria or Grisaia no Kaijitsu or Irotoridori no Sekai or SOMETHING.

But the world isn't perfect, I guess. I'm glad that they can exist at all.
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't know; to be honest I'm just happy that anyone is really licensing Visual Novels at all. When Hirameki went bust I was a little nervous since I figured that there wasn't going to be much of a stream to be able to get Visual Novels outside of Japanese and Korean dealerships.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
The MangaGamer panel at AX was really fun, even though there weren't any special guests this time. I really like their no-holds-barred enthusiasm with their release announcements with actual near rated-X content in the trailers and images they screened. I wonder if they were allowed those liberties at Otakon as well (given what I guess might be a bit more restrictive, maybe not though). Unfortunately MangaGamer has very little of what I'm interested in as far as Visual Novels. But it's smart for them to obviously stick to what makes them successful.
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
If I don't sound too much like a boob for asking, are you saying that AX's rules are a little less restrictive than those at Otakon? From what people have told me who have went they felt that Otakon was pretty inhibition-free, so I was actually a little surprised to hear you say that admittedly. Still, I'm more surprised at the offer of actual near X-rated content.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
If I don't sound too much like a boob for asking, are you saying that AX's rules are a little less restrictive than those at Otakon? From what people have told me who have went they felt that Otakon was pretty inhibition-free, so I was actually a little surprised to hear you say that admittedly. Still, I'm more surprised at the offer of actual near X-rated content.
It was more of an I'm not sure from the perspective of L.A. California versus Baltimore Maryland. Also less about rules but rather, which locale might be more squeamish about the idea of kids at a convention with a panel that not only had T&A but quite a bit of V&D or very suggestive of it? Of course the panel itself was carded and it took place at 9pm I think (not that a 9pm timeframe would deter most attendees under 18).
vashna

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
Considering the fact that the panel was carded I guess I don't see the issue, but then again I don't live in Baltimore. Nevertheless, I totally understand the idea of Los Angeles being the 'anything goes' sort of environment so I figure that might be what you were getting at about that. Ironically, my own area has a completely difficult problem with anime conventions. Some people have tried to say that paper swords somehow correlate to gun violence and there has been some weird stuff going on about that.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:58 am Reply with quote
No Mangagamer panel has been as crazy as the panel they had at AX 2010. I'm convinced that that panel would have still been going until 2011 if a staffer hadn't poked their head in the room and said that AX had closed for the night a half hour prior. MG had I believe 5 idol singers perform, and it was just an all around fun and upbeat time. Those poor otaku who kept getting up and doing para para dancing for each idol must have been exhausted by the end of the panel. Easily the best panel I've ever attended.

Now, I've been at AX in 2012, and their panel was much more low key than that. As such, the panel at Otakon this year was fairly similar in tone to what you'd get from MG in every other year. 2010 was an obvious anomaly, since I saw MG at Anime Boston this year as well and the panel was much the same. Since you have to be over 18 to attend the panel, they don't hold back on what they show. AB and Otakon both showed fully uncensored penetration in their panels, no less than what AX showed at any panel of their I've attended. So you don't have to worry about any extra prudishness from the left coast to the right. MG is gonna do what MG wants to do in regards to their panels.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:11 am Reply with quote
Yeah that 2010 MangaGamer panel was a blast, overall MangaGamer was practically an event unto itself back in 2010. I was sad to see them scale down so much. I didn't get to be there at the very end of this years panel at AX because I wanted to catch a buddy perform at the dance. Not sure if I missed a bit of MG's hijinks at the end. Bamboo is a hoot, I wish he could have been there this year.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:18 am Reply with quote
No Bamboo this year? Then I don't regret not being able to go. Bamboo is a large reason why I go to the MG panel at AX. He obviously loves his job, and his enjoyment is extremely infectious. The last time I went to AX was 2012, and he was sick then, so he was more low key. Hopefully the next time I'm able to go again he'll be back in full force.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1