• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wow, you guys blow so much money.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's just me but I don't see the point in spending money on anime AND manga. What's the point of buying Naruto manga and then the show. That would be boring as hell. Your going to know what happens. Just a waste of money in my opinion.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Well the manga is much better than the anime. No fillers to start with and the progress is much better.

I don't know about "wasting money", but it definitely costs way too much.
AnimeFanboy1982

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quote
more often than not the anime for a series takes a different path than the manga after a certain point, so both reading the manga and watching the anime will afford you two different means to the conclusion, or in some cases, a totally different conclusion.
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
To put it simply: Because the anime isn't always 100% faithful to the manga. (Or vise-versa.) So while you may know the outcome, odds are there's some element that makes it different.

Now, I rant:

I'm unfamiliar with Naruto, but since I'm currently in the middle of it in the manga, I'm gonna use the Venus arc in GetBackers as an example. Wink The antagonist of this particular arc is different between the anime and the manga. In the anime, the Mirokus are only spoiler[two in one body]. In the manga, they are spoiler[seven in one body]. So, in the manga, the big fight scene between Ginji and the Mirokus is drastically different. So, while I know the outcome from the manga, I get a different feel. ...guess this is kind of an extreme example, but you get the idea.

With longer series like Naruto, you also get filler. Which can be both a blessing and a curse. Wink Like Saiyuki. There was an entire season that had very very little to do with the original manga. The main villian has never appeared in the manga. It was a decent arc overall, IMO. But Saiyuki's got some pretty terrible fillers, too. (Like the one with the four girls.)

And then, of course, you have the anime series where they hit their ending and the manga's still going. So a series can head in a totally different direction from the source. So there's another difference. I'm sure there's quite a few people out there who didn't like how an anime ended, so they turn to the manga, hoping for a better outcome.
jousha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Newcomer wrote:
I don't see the point in spending money on anime AND manga.

Idea
I believe it's the same reason people watch/buy The Lord of the Rings Trilogy DVD Set and read/buy The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Book Set. Perhaps, like my example, anime and manga are different enough to enjoy separately for their own reasons.

Apples and oranges, my friend.

Last edited by jousha on Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Doc Arkham

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Maybe because they want to. I blow money on heaps of things that aren't good for me eg. cigarettes.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:14 pm Reply with quote
rajamitsu wrote:
To put it simply: Because the anime isn't always 100% faithful to the manga. (Or vise-versa.) So while you may know the outcome, odds are there's some element that makes it different.

There's that, and there's the fact that, more often than not, the manga is the original for which the anime is based off of.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:17 pm Reply with quote
You know why we do? Because we enjoy it. It's okay for you not to understand, but if you were to start calling it stupid and what not (not saying you did, just an example), then it would be rude. Everybody's different and I personally love buying manga and anime. I definately get my money's worth because I re-watch my anime a lot and flip through my manga many times.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
some of us anyway Laughing

but seriously, i usually watch most of my shows before they even hit US shores, so i only buy the ones i really like. that and movies.

Last edited by v1cious on Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:22 am Reply with quote
Everyone probably have things that they blow lots of money on.
Its more or less a hobby.

As the world turns, those with extra money will find ways to gain more happiness. Its never a waste of money in an economist's point of view.
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:59 am Reply with quote
Stupidman007 wrote:
Everyone probably have things that they blow lots of money on.
Its more or less a hobby.
Ditto.

Like I used to blow a lot of money on anime and manga. However now days, I am have a little more selective on what manga and anime that I am picking up.

I used to be anime, manga and model kits. Shocked
camelot187757

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:05 am Reply with quote
Well its not uncommon for someone to go out and buy all the memorbilia of something they like if they truly enjoy it. I can buy an assload of Spiderman comics, both movies and keep up on the releases and whatnot if I really like Spiderman. just like how jousha said

jousha wrote:
I believe it's the same reason people watch/buy The Lord of the Rings Trilogy DVD Set and read/buy The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Book Set.

If you really like a cetain title or franchise you're gonna unload your wallet on it every chance that you get.

As far as your issue with Naruto, I'm sure that people would like to know what the difference is between the manga and the anime, what they changed, what were filler episdoes etc. Stating that you "already know what happens" isn't really that valid of a statement. Things change when they adapt manga to anime, aspects are lost, characters are changed slightly or drastically, scenarios are different and so on and forever. If I had the money, I'd do it all the time, but I don't-so I don't. If you are like me and can't afford to drop a quick $100 or $200 when you go to Suncoast or Barnes and Noble then don't but don't chastise other people for doin so.

Last edited by camelot187757 on Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:19 am Reply with quote
People like to buy both anime and manga because they want to read the original story that a particular anime is based on to see the differences between the two. While there are cases where the anime follows the manga very accurately, there are also cases where the anime's plot differs from the manga drastically. Like what was already pointed out, it's the same reason why people read the book version of Lord Of The Rings after seeing the movies. Other times the manga continues further where the anime left off, like Ah My Goddess or Inuyasha. Also, not all manga series get turned into anime, so sometimes you can only see a great series through reading manga, but I can understand where you're coming from. I used to buy a lot of both anime and manga, but nowadays I'm trying to cut back on my spending by only buying manga where the storyline is drastically different than the anime, if a certain title is only available in manga form, or if I don't have access to the uncut version of an anime.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:42 am Reply with quote
I generally just buy the anime myself, I simply enjoy that medium more than the manga. Usually if I'm in the mood to read I stick with novels and such. People buy both though because they're interested in the story and generally they're not 100% identical. To many it's a hobby though, an interest, and as with most hobbies and interests there's costs involved. If they spend the money then it's because what they purchase is what they desire and what makes them happy. Maybe you don't see the point to spending the money, but you're not them either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
A better example might be the manga adaptations of Neon Genesis Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, or Tenchi Muyo.

TM is a set of side stories and rarely, if ever, adapts from its anime countreparts. For fans of the series, it's more a selection of side stories and sequels featuring their favorite characters.

GitS is wildly different from its film adaptation. I honestly feel that the GitS film, while great, is not nearly as complex or entertaining as the comic on which it was based. The same goes for the anime adaptation of Akira, which inexplicably stops at the end of volume three and tries to pass itself off as the complete story.

Evangelion is perhaps the best example of why people get comics adapted from anime. Written by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (character designer for the anime), the manga introduces several important differnces, some subtle and some explicit (like the major shift in the role of fan-favorite character Kaworu Nagisa). While the manga is currently on hiatus around volume ten, volume nine (available now!) demonstrates major changes from the anime upon which it is based. It is quite fair to state that fans of the anime can see new aspects of the story by reading the manga.

Overall, it really just depends on how dedicated to a particular story any fan is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2