• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Blame! DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:11 am Reply with quote
Great review. I was met with the same feeling of "What the hell is happening??" while I watched this title. I bought this for my significant other (he LOVES the manga and I wanted to get him the T-shirt that came with the DVD) and when we watched it together, we were both a little flabbergasted. At least I had the fortune of watching this with someone who knows all of the manga books cover to cover; as I dully questioned "Huh?" with each passing scene, he delved into detailed explanations of what was supposed to be going on. Apparently, the contents of almost 7 Blame! manga volumes were included, with certain ideas and stories pulled seemlingly randomly and out of order. What I know: Killy has to get to the surface of the Mega structure to find a perfect human DNA chian. Oh, and everyone's made of silicon. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:32 am Reply with quote
Oh, I was thinking this was a link to a review of the first volume of manga which just came out.

This is the anime. Well.. if you can call it that. It's like a series of test animations for a show or series based on the books. I suggest getting this only if you have read all ten volumes of the manga. Even then some stuff is confusing and a couple of changes are annoying.

Of course, that it came with that bad ass Nihei shirt made it a must own for me. I acutually bought the thing from Media Blasters at anime Boston while I was wearing my Killy costume. So, yeah, I'm a bit of a fan.

It actually also works well if you use it as a trailer for the manga. Show someone a segment and then hand them the manga to get the fulls tory.

_Xenos
chrono2005

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:18 am Reply with quote
Sorry for necroposting.

Frankly the review is incredibly flawed, except for the menu description. The inside & cover jackets only gloss over the larger background aspects of the universe and story. For those who actually did pay attention the dvd's story is cycular in nature showing what was before and what was after. And for those who did a little math it shows that the Cibo who Killy finds is actually the orginal Cibo and that the ones who said they were Cibo earlier were actually later copy's.

Overall it was simply too much/little information given to work within the framework it had. After seeing it though it made me wonder just what the Matrix movies would've been like if they would've went this particular art theme route.

The DVD & the manga need to be thought of as seperate and only sharing characters and themes like many anime & manga already do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1