• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kannazuki no Miko DVD 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In an anime with so many striking visual elements—giant robots, bishoujo, an intergalactic villains' hangout—J.C. Staff manages to come up with effective designs for each.

Actually, it's TNK who animated it (despite the error that listed on the back of the DVD). And yeah those cute relationship moments between Chikane and Himeko were nice and all, but those mechs....GAH!!!! Anime hyper

Yet I still went on watching it just for the ridiculousness of those though it did get a bit better later on. I still bought the DVD in hope of more yuri anime being licensed and released.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:35 pm Reply with quote
y'know, the mechs and all, i take it as straight satire of shounen anime

please, the mech battles are stupid, but they are not meant to be there, i mean this is not a show for mech fans

heck, th emechs ar emostly useless, man i love how chikane spoiler[GTA's souma's mech and takes the lot out with it]

so yeah, dun take it all that seriously mech wise ^^ it's just for laughs or filler
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:13 pm Reply with quote
For various reasons, starting with the title, this series reminds me of Asagiri no Miko, better known as "Shrine of the Morning Mist," which has a collection of clichés as well. Not to mention, the plot flow sounds the same -- character development scenes for awhile, then some monster comes in and interrupts, and of course there's some evil force that wants to destroy the world. Maybe Kannazuki no Miko will give me that same "Awesomely Mediocre" vibe that Shrine of the Morning Mist gave me.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I was curious about this show and considering picking it up, but after reading the review I'm not so sure anymore. It certainly got major pimpage at my local Suncoast a few months ago (I suppose when it was first announced and the anime guy there had a fanboy moment). They had a poster and several sticky-notes in the anime section that said "Reserve your copy today!"
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Before you deside, read up on other reviews of the show. Also the first 4 episodes are the weekest. The series gets in my opnion among the my 10 favorte series.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I remember coming across this title by accident. Didn't know what to think, left it alone. Later I found myself back at it's door. Actually, I was watching this back to back with 'Mai-HiME'.

Oh man this show is an odd one. Yet, for some reason I actually enjoyed it. And the "yuri" angst, man oh man talk about "poetic" till it's mushy. Most blogs considered this show so bad that you had to love it. Well...

Nice soundtrack as well. Really sets the mood. But a very sad series nonetheless. Crying or Very sad

Don't really own any "yuri" titles but this is one that will grace my shelves. Aside from one doujin I own by 'Kaishaku' this is probably the first visual work I'll own. Smile
Kuroro IX

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
FWIW, the shell that comes with the box is real, not plastic.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:20 am Reply with quote
not to burst ya bubble, my hime is yuri a plenty Razz

but yeh this series is fun, it'll please ya, rip ya heart out, put it back in and pat ya back or some order there of

just stick with myinterpretation, the shounen aspects are there for comedy and filler, see it as a satire

the first ep is hilarious
cubs2084

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I love this show, but I'll fully agree that the different elements in it make it jerky and odd at first. But in episode 7, there's a big plot twist that sucked me into the story and didn't let go. I suspect the reviewer will like it more if he gives the second DVD a shot when released.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ginrai1984

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:15 pm Reply with quote
i actually don't agree with the review from ann(like most times)!
i will agree that i seen much better mecha sequences but i have seen a lot worse also!and that thez series switches between like 2 different series makes unique and lighthearted for a mechaseries! i personally found kannazuki no miko is a very underrated series and to call a litle masterpiece as least imo!
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
Before you deside, read up on other reviews of the show. Also the first 4 episodes are the weekest. The series gets in my opnion among the my 10 favorte series.

Good Advice Advent;

Of all the reviews I've read for Kannazuki, this is the most negative view of the show. Personally, one of the best parts of this show IS the animation and charater designs. Of course, good Kotoko music.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:16 pm Reply with quote
yeh and they seem to have skipped burst angel all together except for thsat review which well, they didn't even watch the show then, only 2 eps were out

i dunno, i love the site, but aspects time to time make me wonder

i also love the music, its a major selling point
ecchi_r

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:26 pm Reply with quote
This series is romance, the story of the - although unusual - love triangle, no more, no less. And in this category it should receive B+ at the very least.
Blaming Kannazuki for being a "mixture of usual cliche adventure series" is as ridiculous as blaming School Rumble for not being serious, Grave of the Fireflies for not being funny, or My Neighbour Totoro for not being gore and bloody enough.
My personal advice for reviewer: I agree you don't have to love such genre, but then do us a favour and don't force yourself watching such anime and writing nonobjective reviews of them later.
ecchi_r

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
Advent_Nebula wrote:

Good Advice Advent
For example I recommend review from AnimeOnDvd. I would post a link but I'm afraid it is forbidden here... easy to find anyway.
Taruto

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I'd personally say that while Kannazuki no Miko's a hard series to get into, it's worth it if you can get past the first few episodes - it really does improve if you keep watching.

I had a hard time getting into the storyline and the flow of things - heck - I still haven't finished this series properly, but it's a good series to buy/watch on a whim and see what you think. There's a lot of really big fans of the series and not all of them are specifically Yuri fans, nor Mecha fans - there's a nice balance for this series which is.. well.. unusual to say the least, but somewhat expected.

Overall I think this review was just and true, but quite harsh, which is unfortunate.
..But I must say that I do agree that the box artwork is the nicest of the entire "series". Wink

Definately pick it up if you're curious, anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2