• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Employee Sues Japanese Manga Publisher for 3.3 Million Yen

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
More power to that woman. Glad she spoke up, and hopefully she gets fair compensation from her former company.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this is the tip or a proverbial iceberg of ripoffs.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Good for her for pointing them out. That's ridiculous that they lied about the amount of prizes they were handing out. Give us surveys and you'll have a chance to win this prize! It's just, we kind of don't have them...

And how would the readers know? There's no way to count, anyway. So I hope she wins. They just fired her because they wanted to shut her up about their bad business practices.
Kenshiroh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
If you read the rules for many US contests there be something in there stating that you can request a list of the winners. I used to wonder why anyone would want to do that.
partially

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I always find these sort of cases bizarre. Not the fact she is suing, or the that the company sounds bad. But the fact, like a fair few of the cases of this type, the plaintiff is asking for her old job back. Seems a little naive to me. Your workplace relations are going to be shot to hell, and it will be awkward. Not to mention the fact that there was already harassment in the workplace, causing her medical problems. Suing the company and forcing them to give your job back is not going to make them see the light and treat you nicely. I understand that you may be a little desperate in a downturned job-market. But getting your job back in those circumstances will never lead to happier times.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:23 am Reply with quote
If she wins, I wonder if it will be easier for Vertical to negotiate licenses with them, now.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:39 am Reply with quote
Manga is just business like any other.
senbonzakura

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:18 am Reply with quote
partially wrote:
I always find these sort of cases bizarre. Not the fact she is suing, or the that the company sounds bad. But the fact, like a fair few of the cases of this type, the plaintiff is asking for her old job back. Seems a little naive to me. Your workplace relations are going to be shot to hell, and it will be awkward. Not to mention the fact that there was already harassment in the workplace, causing her medical problems. Suing the company and forcing them to give your job back is not going to make them see the light and treat you nicely. I understand that you may be a little desperate in a downturned job-market. But getting your job back in those circumstances will never lead to happier times.

I agree with you. The place will not only be uncomfortable but also everyone will not treat her right for making the company lose money. She would be better off in another publishing company.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:16 am Reply with quote
partially wrote:

There is truth in the saying; "It's easier to find a job if you have a job."

I suspect there are many more reasons to ask for the job back, likely one is that the company does not want her back and will be willing to pay much more in damages to avoid having her on the payroll in a job where she would be paid to stay at home.

Mark Gosdin
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:14 am Reply with quote
partially wrote:
the plaintiff is asking for her old job back. Seems a little naive to me.

Maybe, just maybe, there is a common (and probably illegal, therefore secret) black list of salaryman big companies consider "undesirable workers" because they dared to sue their own company, so chances are she would not be able to get a similar job anywhere in japan (unless the company is really small or foreign).
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:11 am Reply with quote
Well, in the US at least they ask for their job back so that they can resign on their own terms or as the company or because they know the company will include a severance as part of the plea rather than bring back an employee that could potentially create a negative work environment. If you're terminated any place you apploy to in the future that does their homework is going to find out about it as your prior employer will likely disclose that. However, if you sue for your job back and then resign it your former employer can not tell potential employers that you were terminated (without risking yet another legal fight).

Of course, circumstances in Japan are likely different, but at least in the US there are reasons to sue for your old job back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
If you're terminated any place you apply to in the future that does their homework is going to find out about it as your prior employer will likely disclose that.

I've heard (but can't confirm) that legally a company cannot disclose reasons a person no longer works at their company, be it termination or leaving. They can only confirm that you actually worked there for X amount of time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
If you're terminated any place you apply to in the future that does their homework is going to find out about it as your prior employer will likely disclose that.

I've heard (but can't confirm) that legally a company cannot disclose reasons a person no longer works at their company, be it termination or leaving. They can only confirm that you actually worked there for X amount of time.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
The loophole there is that they can be asked if they would ever hire that person back or not and the former employer can give a yes or no answer to that.

Emerje
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:05 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Keonyn wrote:

Emerje wrote:
The loophole there is that they can be asked if they would ever hire that person back or not and the former employer can give a yes or no answer to that.

I can confirm that yes, for Washington State, at least, that yes, this is the case. And no, Emerje, they can't give that information. They legally cannot say anything further than confirming dates that you were employed. They can't say how you did at the job, they can't say why/how you left, they can't say if they'd hire you back or not.

Of course, that also assumes that places follow the law.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2