• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
More spam ratings?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I was looking at the top 10 anime and noticed Tsuioku-hen had dropped from a 9.10 to a 9.08. Now to my knowledge, it's been rated 9.10 for the longest time that I can remember and it had no Worst Ever ratings.

All of a sudden I look at it today and it has 15. Not sure if it's a "battle of supremecy" between some psychotic Suzumiya Haruhi fan or just some spammer, but whoever you are, stop spamming.

We've already seen people trying to sabotage the ratings for a lot of other titles, but I'm surprised anyone would go this far now...
Hiei77

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Thats strange. Not to go Off-Topic, but i've been to the Top 10 page before, but i forgot how to get to it. Could you tell me how? Thanks.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Go to the Anime Encyc. page and look for "top 10 anime" on the right side of the screen under Subsections.
Hiei77

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Ah i see it now. Thanks!
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I was looking at the top 10 anime and noticed Tsuioku-hen had dropped from a 9.10 to a 9.08. Now to my knowledge, it's been rated 9.10 for the longest time that I can remember and it had no Worst Ever ratings.

All of a sudden I look at it today and it has 15. Not sure if it's a "battle of supremecy" between some psychotic Suzumiya Haruhi fan or just some spammer, but whoever you are, stop spamming.

We've already seen people trying to sabotage the ratings for a lot of other titles, but I'm surprised anyone would go this far now...

I agree the Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuioku Hen had always been at 9.10 for the longest time, but yet all of sudden there are 15 people who proclaim this to be the worst anime ever? I mean I don't want to generalize and call out an entire group of people, but this is getting crazy. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya fan base seems like they're possessed and will do anything to make that show #1 and I just can't believe people are trying to sabtoage the rating of a really good OVA just to get The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya #1.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Suzumiya Haruhi was actually #1 for a few days, I believe, but then it dropped back down to #2. I'm sure there are plenty of anti-Haruhi people trying to spam it as well. I'm just a little discontent that Kenshin would get this kind of treatment now after the outstanding reputation that it's had all these years Mad.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya fan base seems like they're possessed and will do anything to make that show #1 and I just can't believe people are trying to sabtoage the rating of a really good OVA just to get The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya #1.

Just to be fair: there are 33 "worst ever" votes for SHnY, 13 for Cowboy Bebop, 7 for Spirited Away and Berserk (manga), 5 for Monster and Nausicaa (manga), 2 for 20th Century Boys, 4 for Death Note, and 6 for YKK. Aren't those ridiculous as well?

There was an user who admitted rating spamming openly and bragged how easy it was.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Suzumiya Haruhi was actually #1 for a few days, I believe, but then it dropped back down to #2. I'm sure there are plenty of anti-Haruhi people trying to spam it as well. I'm just a little discontent that Kenshin would get this kind of treatment now after the outstanding reputation that it's had all these years Mad.
You know what series I feel bad for it Cowboy Bebop it has most views is rated #2 for the longest time and yet this show that comes out of nowhere drop it from that spot. I really like Bebop too, also was Muishi that high? I mean last I check it was just out of the top 10, perhaps I should get back to watching this series since it was pretty good when I stop watching.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

Edit: This is for Dormcat post above me, he posted just before I finish my post, and yes for some anime/manga that do have worse ever votes it makes you a little worried. But with Melancholy it seems like there has been a lot more spamming of rating, both for Melancholy to be higher and for other top 10 series to be lower.

Last edited by Deltakiral on Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Mushishi gradually climbed up out of nowhere. I'd heard bits and pieces about it around forums but never decided to check it out until recently, which coincidentally is also when it came up on the top 10 list. Personally, I would put it in my own top 10, as it's an amazing series (which I'll probably make a thread for sometime soon).

I haven't seen Suzumiya Haruhi yet, so I can't really comment on it. No need to worry about Bebop, though. It's more than achieved some kind of legendary status by now, be it user ratings or just word of mouth.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:38 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Edit: This is for Dormcat post above me, he posted just before I finish my post, and yes for some anime/manga that do have worse ever votes it makes you a little worried. But with Melancholy it seems like there has been a lot more spamming of rating, both for Melancholy to be higher and for other top 10 series to be lower.

It's too bad that there isn't some good way to automatically check IP addresses just to make sure the casual users can't spam the ratings as much. Of course any dedicated user can get around any system... but to be sure there is a lot of spaming on BOTH ends of the spectrum for a lot of shows, the problem is that it's only obvious when people try to spam low ratings. Thoug it's hard to tell how many of the high-end ratings for Haruhi are real, it's also gotten more than 3x the relative number of low ratings per total vote than anything else. It's too bad people get so worked about some informal rating system on a website that they feel the need to manipulate the system to make themselves feel better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:18 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Just to be fair: there are 33 "worst ever" votes for SHnY, 13 for Cowboy Bebop, 7 for Spirited Away and Berserk (manga), 5 for Monster and Nausicaa (manga), 2 for 20th Century Boys, 4 for Death Note, and 6 for YKK. Aren't those ridiculous as well?

I suppose just as ridiculous as 2 "Masterpiece" votes for SD Gundam Force, 5 for Tekken, 3 for Ninja Resurrection OAV, etc. Wink
People tend to try everything to put their favorite on #1, it's not more than human, and it's inherent in a user-rated database.
For reasonable people : this whole top 10 (or even top 30 if you want) all have a classification "excellent". I think that's more important than being #1 or #2.

The only thing than ANN can do (and should do !) is search the spammers and throw them out. Twisted Evil
Pull out their fingernails, burn their feet with hot coals, make them eat their own brains, decapitate them (preferably twice) and finally, force them to do beta testing for Microsoft. I'm sure they'll never put spam on ANN again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:59 am Reply with quote
While we're at it, I've counted 22 "dub" ratings for SHnY. No matter what complexion you put on it, those are spam.

I agree, by the way. Spamming the ratings should be grounds for permanent banning.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:32 am Reply with quote
Great, now even something like Monster is getting spammed. Friday, it was at #2 with nothing below a Bad, and with only 1 one of those, and 2 Weak. Now it has 1 Worst Ever, 1 Awful, 2 more Bad, and 1 more Weak. If you spammers out there are reading this, stop doing what you're doing, and go to hell already.
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:36 am Reply with quote
You mean you guys don't have a system set up where, at least at the admin level, you can see who voted what for a given show and when? It seems like such a system would be very useful for exactly this reason, to the point where I naturally assumed one was already in place when I first started using the Encyclopedia.

Although boo Haruhi at historical #2 overall. >_>
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I had always thought that there was a way to see who voted for what. Afterall, each user has their ratings in their "My Anime" data, so even if it isn't public, I figured an administrator would be able to see these things.

Same for IP addresses, although that wouldn't be quite as useful due to proxies and the ability to use multiple computers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1