• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Transformers Movie (The Old One) DVD Details

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Tempting...I wonder if there'll ever be a new edition of the G.I. Joe movie...(Or would it be considered an OVA?)
Peter Ahlstrom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Weird... The movie was really animated in full-frame (4:3) and the top and bottom were cropped for the theaters. If you watch a widescreen version, you're missing (crucial??) pixels on top and bottom!!

I already have the old Rhino DVD, so I doubt I'll be getting this (still need to replace my old TRON DVD though...).
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Peter Ahlstrom wrote:
Weird... The movie was really animated in full-frame (4:3) and the top and bottom were cropped for the theaters. If you watch a widescreen version, you're missing (crucial??) pixels on top and bottom!!

I already have the old Rhino DVD, so I doubt I'll be getting this (still need to replace my old TRON DVD though...).

Ehh, I wouldn't call them crucial. Actually, the film was animated at something like 1.37:1, so either bits were cut off at the side, for a video release, or off the top and bottom, so you get a widescreen version

But in both cases you aren't loosing 'crucial' information, and technically the widescreen version is the 'true' one. A lot of other films from Toei (Saint Seiya, Dragonball/Z, Fist of the North Star, etc) where producers have wanted to save a buck or two have used this tactic.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Peter is correct. The movie was animated in 4:3, cropped for its theatrical release, then "restored" for its home release.

Wikipedia wrote:
Despite the fact the the trailer hails the film as "spectacular widescreen action," Transformers: The Movie was actually animated in 4:3 "fullscreen" format (as proven by animation cels acquired by fans and Metrodome's Reconstructed DVD). The feature was vertically cropped to widescreen dimensions for theatrical showings - a practice was frequent with animated films during the 70s and 80s, including those from Disney - and released in fullscreen on home video and DVD. The 20th anniversary release of the movie by Sony, however, will again feature the cropped widescreen presentation.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure both versions are worth watching, the thing about the cropping is true, but like was said all the action was designed to take place in the center anyways. You'll have both options here so I don't see what there is too bitch about. Besides, Rhino's remastering job was pretty flawed. They were penny-pinching and thought noone would notice the scenes on Junkion were not cleaned up.

I was kinda hoping there would be something about lost scenes or some crap on this blurb, but I guess those may never surface if they did infact exist at some point. Just as long as the swearing is intact I guess.

Last edited by jsyxx on Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Actually, Peter is correct. The movie was animated in 4:3, cropped for its theatrical release, then "restored" for its home release.

Wikipedia wrote:
Despite the fact the the trailer hails the film as "spectacular widescreen action," Transformers: The Movie was actually animated in 4:3 "fullscreen" format (as proven by animation cels acquired by fans and Metrodome's Reconstructed DVD). The feature was vertically cropped to widescreen dimensions for theatrical showings - a practice was frequent with animated films during the 70s and 80s, including those from Disney - and released in fullscreen on home video and DVD. The 20th anniversary release of the movie by Sony, however, will again feature the cropped widescreen presentation.

Emerje

Yeah, but I distinctly remember the fullscreen versions missing footage from the left and right that the widescreen version (based on the trailer) had, though you're probably right and it's just a case of it being zoomed in.
energydan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:42 pm Reply with quote
YOU GOT THE TOUCH.....YOU GOT THE POWAAAAAAA YEAH!

They need to do a featurette on Stan Bush and his awesomely bad montages in the movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
silentjay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Ehh, I wouldn't call them crucial. Actually, the film was animated at something like 1.37:1, so either bits were cut off at the side, for a video release, or off the top and bottom, so you get a widescreen version

1.37:1 is really what 1.33:1 is, aka Academy Standard. There is no native 1.33:1 aspect ratio filmstock, it's artificially created by 4:3 CRT TVs.
Panon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Peter Ahlstrom wrote:

If it was shown cropped for the theatrical release then by definition you're not 'missing' parts of the footage, since it wasn't really intended to be seen in the first place.

But hey, all versions of the movie are there so it's all good no matter which version people prefer.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:09 am Reply with quote
energydan wrote:
YOU GOT THE TOUCH.....YOU GOT THE POWAAAAAAA YEAH!

They need to do a featurette on Stan Bush and his awesomely bad montages in the movie.

Thats a good one, but what about Dare?
Stan Bush wrote:
Dare, Dare to keep all your dreams alive... You can win if you DARE!

Oh yeah, I'd be all over that! My DVD player is hooked up via HDMI which forces widescreen on my 4X3 Panny HD CRT, so I'll take the widescreen version, thank you very much Smile
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:08 am Reply with quote
This movie stands as the one I've seen more than any other in my life. I even remember "camping out" about two hours before the theater opened just to watch it. Ah, those were good days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:52 am Reply with quote
Guys, I'll say this right now. The movie is NOT getting cropped. Instead, we'll be getting the original animation prints of the movie, which means huge bars on both the right and left sides.The PAL version was based off this version, and this is the exact version we'll be receiving. The reason, I beleive, this will be done is because there is animation at times during those points, including some background informaiton that was lost when cropped to 4:3. (Though how much is debated.)
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:00 am Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
Guys, I'll say this right now. The movie is NOT getting cropped. Instead, we'll be getting the original animation prints of the movie, which means huge bars on both the right and left sides.The PAL version was based off this version, and this is the exact version we'll be receiving. The reason, I beleive, this will be done is because there is animation at times during those points, including some background informaiton that was lost when cropped to 4:3. (Though how much is debated.)

Please read the thread and what not. Even comparing the theatrical widescreen trailers and such, you can tell that the widescreen version is, infact, a cropped version. Always has been, always will be.
Killer 7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:34 am Reply with quote
Unless there's a deleted scene montage and the making of featurette, there's no need to buy this DVD since i already own the "special Collector's edition" (S-word intact)
Love most of the soundtrack,especially the main theme and the vince decola synthersizer tracks.

I would love to see a GI Joe the Movie with added bonuses
IE the suppossed deleted footage,in regards to Duke's demise,Marvel comic animated commercials and scenes from that 30th aniversary convention over a decade ago.

But i doubt it will happen.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:46 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
ChibiGoku wrote:

Please read the thread and what not. Even comparing the theatrical widescreen trailers and such, you can tell that the widescreen version is, infact, a cropped version. Always has been, always will be.

Read my post carefully. The PAL version was a widescreen version, but with huge bars on the left and right, so it did look like a 4:3 Transfer on a widescreen tv. (Which, as far as we can tell, the PAL version is based off the version we're getting.) The BARS are often there when there is no animation on the left and right.

I'll post a picture later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2