• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokemon X & Y Sell 4 Million Copies in 2 Days

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:50 am Reply with quote
Pretty expected. so much hype that most places released the game over a day early. It also seems (I dont have a 3ds so idk) to have far more changes to the series than ever before.

I really hate the line "of all time". "to date" is a far better phrase.
Little_Hawk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:09 am Reply with quote
The pacing of the game is terrible, but it's a good play, although there isn't much post-game content.
Sanazami

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:30 am Reply with quote
I know what you mean spoiler[Shauna just stands in front of my house after she gave me her starter when i beat the pokemon league and never moves.]
martinic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:12 am Reply with quote
It prints money!!!!!!
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:19 am Reply with quote
Who else but Pokemon?
kh_gal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:23 am Reply with quote
Little_Hawk wrote:
The pacing of the game is terrible, but it's a good play, although there isn't much post-game content.

How so, if you don't mind me asking? I was contemplating purchasing it or not.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:58 am Reply with quote
The best games in the series should also be the best selling; it only makes sense.

kh_gal wrote:
Little_Hawk wrote:

How so, if you don't mind me asking? I was contemplating purchasing it or not.

If you aren't speed running it, the first four gyms will take about twenty hours. It took me sixteen hours to get to the second gym, but also pumped a lot of hours into Super Training (mini-games). The first five gyms will take you a long time, but the last three and E4 are much closer together. The first two are especially far apart. I didn't mind the "bad pacing" because one of my favorite things is how big the Kalos map is. It is a very, very big map and I love it, but I guess I can see people getting annoyed at how long it takes in the beginning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:52 am Reply with quote
That's a lot of games.

I for one am taking the game slowly.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Haven't even been to the second gym yet. Too busy buying clothes in Lumiose and Wonder Trading.

EDIT: Beat second gym. Now back to berry farming and catching a best natured Furfrou. The placement of the Battle Chateau gives you access to unlimited money a few hours in. I think I've got the most expensive clothing available and still tons of cash to spare.

Last edited by luffypirate on Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Definitely good numbers. Though as someone who did play the original versions, the gameplay I saw on various streams didn't really click with me. Everybody was just leaving one pokemon at the top because exp share negated most if not all need to actually attempt to balance your party. I guess with all the new minigames and side activities to do, the core gameplay from Red/Blue is only looked upon as a nuisance now. Regardless, it is extremely impressive for the franchise to continue, almost yearly it seems now, to release new Pokemon games and to cultivate the fanbase, even if it strays a bit from its derived formula.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Great numbers! I'm also really excited to see how well the game does for the first week Smile

Maybe I'm just bad at video games, but I actually like how linear this game is. In Black 2 I still have areas on the map that I haven't even been to yet because there's so many different ways to get there and it was kinda confusing. (I think I even went to some places out of order??) I just don't have the motivation to play since I wasn't that immersed to begin with.

But in X you basically go wherever your in-game friends are going, and I feel more immersed because pretty much everything is to-scale (and it's a huge scale!) and I get to customize my trainer. (Though I haven't figured out how to get different hair styles besides short/bobbed/medium/long, bangs or no bangs)

I actually love how EXP. Share works now, and there's a bunch of other little details that I like but I'm rambling as is!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1