• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Azumanga Daioh Voice Actress Tomoko Kaneda Gets Married

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Congrats, Tomo chan!

Honestly I'm quite surprised. (If anyone's ever seen FamitsuTV, I think you'd know what I mean...)

The actor guy she married is pretty good-looking but I'm mostly surprised that he's 10 years younger than her!

Here's to hoping they have a long, happy life together.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Im happy for her but I really want her to get into more anime ...I miss her Anime cry
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Congrats Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Im happy for her but I really want her to get into more anime ...I miss her Anime cry

Unfortunately, the anime industry has a stupid, stupid policy of almost never letting in older voice actresses into anime. With only a few exceptions. For example, Michiko Neya and Yuki Matsuoka (who hasn't gotten a role this entire year, except in the MIrai Nikki OVA). Early 2000's female actors are getting completely ignored, and it's really sad... Satomi Arai, my favorite VA, was lucky to get noticed as Kuroko, but now she's forgotten for her awesome strong roles and is only casted in comedic roles... Sad

Anyway, I digress. Congratulations! And for your wedding present, Myself;Yourself has been licensed for America, meaning a larger audience will experience your amazing voice! Now someone needs to license Sketchbook and relicense Azumanga Daioh...
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

She hasn't been in much lately but she was in Yondemasu yo, Azazel san. Z earlier this year.
Banjo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:58 am Reply with quote
grats for her!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:14 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:

Unfortunately, the anime industry has a stupid, stupid policy of almost never letting in older voice actresses into anime.

They're selling more than a seiyuu's voice - they're selling her whole persona.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:45 am Reply with quote
Congratulations to the happy couple!

And to Mori-san ... older girls are the best. Very Happy

Mark Gosdin
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:16 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:

Unfortunately, the anime industry has a stupid, stupid policy of almost never letting in older voice actresses into anime.

Indeed. And women are wanted for their youth. It's a stupid, stupid system. I believe in talent over looks.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:27 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:

Indeed. And women are wanted for their youth. It's a stupid, stupid system. I believe in talent over looks.

I think it's because recent seiyuu industry is not just about the voice acting, but also selling them as idols. They're expected to be able to perform in stage while singing and dancing like what's trending right now. Which is kind of sad.

Anyway, congrats Chiyo-chan! I really miss her voice, hopefully she'll get more role in the future Very Happy
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote
I sure miss Nel Tu... Congrats to her.
ReverseTitan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:28 am Reply with quote
@mewpudding101 It wouldn't be cost effective to let older VAs do anime work. In Japan, there is a tier scale based on how old you are. The older you are, the more you get payed and vice versa. I don't know if this exists in the States, but in Japan it does. People like Ryo Horikawa and Akira Kamiya are getting around $500 per episode, hence why you only see them do game reprisals of their roles, because no production studio would want to do use these "old fogies" because they aren't cost effective. However, somebody like Hana Kana isn't even 25, so she is getting paid significantly less, meaning that they use her because she is very cost effective. This should be pretty simple to grasp.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:21 am Reply with quote
ReverseTitan wrote:
@mewpudding101 It wouldn't be cost effective to let older VAs do anime work. In Japan, there is a tier scale based on how old you are. The older you are, the more you get payed and vice versa. I don't know if this exists in the States, but in Japan it does. People like Ryo Horikawa and Akira Kamiya are getting around $500 per episode, hence why you only see them do game reprisals of their roles, because no production studio would want to do use these "old fogies" because they aren't cost effective. However, somebody like Hana Kana isn't even 25, so she is getting paid significantly less, meaning that they use her because she is very cost effective. This should be pretty simple to grasp.

Horikawa is definitely older, so I can see where you're coming from, but when "old" = 39, cost isn't an issue. Also, it's different in the seiyuu industry than other businesses in Japan.

And you don't need to tell me- As someone going into the seiyuu industry, I know the ups and downs very well. -_-;
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to her!!! I hope her fans does not go crazy over this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1