• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Australia's Madman Ent: DBZ Kai's Buu Saga Should Come in 2014

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Man, FUNi can't seem to catch a break with the Dragonball Z franchise this year can they?
Araki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:52 am Reply with quote
It's weird for how long they've been working on this dub everywhere including Japan, and still no concrete news.

It's like Toei can't decide what to do about it, like the new Sailormoon. Laughing
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:21 am Reply with quote
Do they have Kai Buu saga in Japan? I remember that they show it on TV or not.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
Dragon Ball Kai ended with the Cell arc. The Buu arc was crap, but you have to wonder how much better it would be if cut down to 30-40 episodes...

Dragon Ball Z Kai is a super redundant title.
dan9999

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:26 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Dragon Ball Kai ended with the Cell arc. The Buu arc was crap, but you have to wonder how much better it would be if cut down to 30-40 episodes...

Lies. Buu arc is the best in DBZ, early episodes with Saiyama and Videl, the OP/ED, Goten and Triunks. SS3, the fusions, its was simply the best, if anything I call BS at Gohan not having to go super saiyan anymore after he unleashed his true potential.
Araki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:44 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Lies. Buu arc is the best in DBZ, early episodes with Saiyama and Videl, the OP/ED, Goten and Triunks. SS3, the fusions, its was simply the best, if anything I call BS at Gohan not having to go super saiyan anymore after he unleashed his true potential.

The Buu arc was pure fun indeed, not to mention it had the best animation, ahead of its time. Some episodes were incredibly well done.

I don't even think it needed a Kai treatment that much, the filler was mostly amusing and unlike Namek there's no unbearable dragging.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:52 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Kai stopped airing in Japan after Cell because of low merchandising sales, but because of international popularity they decided they might as well condense the Buu saga as well.

Don't know if this means we'll get to see Kai Buu in 2014 in the states as well, but I'l definitely be buying this whenever Funi puts it out.

Buu saga is actually my favorite, it's dumb as a box of rocks sometimes, and I will freely admit it is one of the worst in terms of drawn-out episodes, but it's so much fun. Especially after Cell Saga, which don't get me wrong I like, but it felt so by the books in a lot of ways.

My all time favorite DBZ moments have to be at the start of the World Martial Arts Tournament, and we get to see the disparity between the Z fighters' skills and the ability of mere mortals. What better way to note the ludicrous power creep the characters went through, by making fun of it. Goten and Trunks's, the prepubescent Super Sayians is only one example.

Also, Gohan living out his obvious childhood superhero fantasies will never not be hilarious.
dan9999

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:25 am Reply with quote
I still remember my favorite episodes where when Videl finally realized how strong Gohan is and their earlier training, or the martial arts tournament with all the Z warriors going through such pointless power measurement (with the machine) and they having to hit as weak as possible and with jaws all the way to the floor and beyond all the other fighters.

Another favorite is when Goku reveals SS3.

EDIT: Sewingrose, SAME HERE, I did not read the last part of you post before writing mine and yep, indeed that martial arts tournament, I have watched that part countless times, I think they are the best episodes in all DBZ honestly and a favorite of many fans.
IceBreaker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:49 am Reply with quote
Well don't care about that much.
Buu saga was the weakest arc of the DBZ.
Only the Cell saga is worth to watch.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:01 am Reply with quote
^
Buu Saga was the weakest precisely because it was the most bloated. Cut out the fat, and the saga will be far better off for it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:13 am Reply with quote
The Buu arc is probably my least favorite of the "Z" area of DB (I felt like the narrative was jerking around the reader/viewer too much with its musical chairs of main protagonists), but all the same, I do enjoy plenty aspects of it and am glad to get a version with some of the fat trimmed.

I am curious as to certain elements of the production of this, though, such as who will be doing the musical score, and if there will at least be a new opening and closing sequence with some new songs, since I doubt there will be any real amount of actual new animation.

I just hope when Funimation gets to it they'll continue to dub it accurately and not cave into fans of the DBZ dub and stick in a lot of nonsense lines.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:23 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

and wasn't this supposed to be like a pseudo directors cut ? cause if i am not mistaken , the Kai series was supposed to end after the cell arc as the creator originally intended.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:36 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
as the creator originally intended.

If I had a dime for every time somebody claimed something was the way Toriyama originally intended...

More than half the time they're just basing it on a long game of telephone.

It's more like only a certain number of Kai episodes were ordered until they could see how well it was doing and when in Toei's eyes it underperformed, they decided not to do more, at least until they did. The end of the Cell arc seemed a natural place to leave on at the time.

As far as the manga, Toriyama considered his options several times, but there's little evidence the "he meant to end it here" accepted history rings true.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:51 am Reply with quote
Just to clear the record, apparently this saga was ordered and jointing funded for by FUNimation.
They still don't even know if they are going to air this on TV in Japan yet, which says exactly how well this performed over there.
The Japanese audience wanted a reboot with new animation, not a cheap and easy directors cut.
That's why they ended at the Cell arc, because the demand simply wasn't there for it in viewing figures and merchandise sales.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:05 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Banken wrote:

and wasn't this supposed to be like a pseudo directors cut ? cause if i am not mistaken , the Kai series was supposed to end after the cell arc as the creator originally intended.

Dragon Ball Kai was simply way of making the show presentable to today's audience, and making it feasible for a rebroadcast, which meant the number of episodes is limited (although they still did 98).

In other words, it was a way of squeezing more money out of a valuable but outdated property for as little money as possible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5